Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

2001 Hyundai Accent Engine Swap HELP

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HankHyundai 
#1 ·
Hello All,

My 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.5 L 5-speed manual is having engine issues. has 113K miles on it. I think something is loose in the engine as I hear a klanking sound under the valve cover on top of the motor. I think I need a new motor.

Please help me figure out what motor will fit in my bay with very little modification. I prefer no modification but I would like something with just a little extra HP.

I have found motors for around $700. I might be able to do it myself or with family as I know someone with a cherry picker and tools.

Seriously guys, my life depends on keeping this car running. I have a 60 mile round trip for work everyday. I have very little money.

#2 ·
Hey Genericpckiller, I feel your pain. As a Hyundai mechanic (Patrick Hyundai) just a word of advice. Make sure you get your replacement engine from a reputable firm (junkyard). I wouldn't buy it on Craigslist from someone. If the motor you buy isn't a good one, you will have possibly wasted $700 and a ton of time finding out. Take it from me, I've tried to save a few bucks and went for the "ran perfectly" motor and it was junk. I could have killed the guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.