Automatic Shifter help - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

HyundaiPerformance.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2003, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Send a message via AIM to spirosentra
Default Automatic Shifter help

I need to replace the plastic shift lever that you use to control the automatic transmission on a 2001 Hyundai Accent. How do I remove the old one? Screws? Clips? Are there any pictures or diagrams online?:??:
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2003, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Automatic Shifter help

try here

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/default.asp
pare_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cclngthr

Quote:
Originally posted by spirosentra
[body]
I need to replace the plastic shift lever that you use to control the automatic transmission on a 2001 Hyundai Accent. How do I remove the old one? Screws? Clips? Are there any pictures or diagrams online?:??:
[/body]
Pull down the outer sleeve on the shifter shaft that is under the handle. You should see a phillips screw that holds the handle on. You will have to unplug the OD switch to remove the handle. Then you can remove the outer sleeve.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ravinaziankid

if you remove all of the components of the automatic shifter and want to add a new bag and new shifter, making it look like a manual....is it possible??can i do it...what about the overdrive button and that switch on da top left of the transmission??
thanks
Eibach lowering Springs - KYB-GR2 Struts

2002 Hyundai Accent GL
Clear Corners,Halo HID 6k Kit,Custom Catback Exhaust, Pacemaker 4-1 Headers, Magnecor Wires,SR BBTB,Custom Mesh Grill,Racetech Strutbar,Shortram Intake/Cold Air Intake, 15" Rims with 195/50 Toyo Proxes 4, UR Underdrive pulley, Whiteline front and rear swaybars, Slotted Rotors, and K-Sport Coilovers.
Ravinaziankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to spirosentra

Over at b15sentra.net, a couple of the guys with automatics have replaced their stock shifters and O/D buttons. Alex tried using a manual shift boot, but he found that he couldn't get the trim pieces to seat properly that way.

Quote:
[body]here's the deal with the shift boot.... i tried it....

u have to remove the whole silver shift gate assembly or the boot won't wrap around the whole thing. but without the gate assembly there's nothing for the boot to hook on, to... and there's too big of a hole to cover...

trust me i wasted 30 bucks on a real leather boot and ended up cutting off the top to cover the shaft instead.

what you CAN do (altho not tested yet) is buy the manual plastic trim. it's 30 bucks from the dealer with boot included, and just fit that on there. it should be exactly the same fit. the only thing is that it hasn't been tested yet (i haven't gotten 30 bucks yet ) so i don't know if u'll be able to shift all the way down to 1st with the boot on.

if i do it i'll tell you all. but it saves a LOT of headaches just getting the dealer trim and boot.[/body]
Maybe the Hyundai OEM trim and boot would work for you.

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33590&highlight=automat ic+shift+knob+replace

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40168&highlight=automat ic+shift+knob+replace
Old 02-14-2003, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cclngthr

Quote:
Originally posted by Ravinaziankid
[body]
if you remove all of the components of the automatic shifter and want to add a new bag and new shifter, making it look like a manual....is it possible??can i do it...what about the overdrive button and that switch on da top left of the transmission??
thanks
[/body]
You could put a remote OD switch next to the shifter, but the plug would have to be cut off the old one, which is not a great idea to do. I would get a new switch, and install it on the center console and reroute the OD wire.

Old 02-14-2003, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ravinaziankid

alright thanks...but can you also reroute the shiftlock as well??
Eibach lowering Springs - KYB-GR2 Struts

2002 Hyundai Accent GL
Clear Corners,Halo HID 6k Kit,Custom Catback Exhaust, Pacemaker 4-1 Headers, Magnecor Wires,SR BBTB,Custom Mesh Grill,Racetech Strutbar,Shortram Intake/Cold Air Intake, 15" Rims with 195/50 Toyo Proxes 4, UR Underdrive pulley, Whiteline front and rear swaybars, Slotted Rotors, and K-Sport Coilovers.
Ravinaziankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe