Hyundai OBD1 ECU remapping question. - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

HyundaiPerformance.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Send a message via AIM to SupaCoupa
Default Hyundai OBD1 ECU remapping question.

Anyone making the software /hardware combo to hack and remap the hyundai OBD1 ECU's?

Thanks. Been searching, nothing promising yet. Maybe I'm just missing it.

- Matt

WWW.AUDIO-DOCTORS.COM
SupaCoupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2004, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hyundai OBD1 ECU remapping question.

Superchips can do a chip which increases boost and fueling and gives an extra 30bhp to the S Coupe Turbo.

Current car: Rover 216 Cabriolet, Honda D16 1.6 16v engine, 4 branch manifold, Garret T3 turbo at 8 PSi, Renault 21 intercooler, Collins BOV, Samco boost hoses, 345cc injectors, Apexi SAFC II, 17" Chrome BSA 264's, GMAX suspension, Scorpion decat pipe, Sportex twin 3" exhaust system, LOTS of ICE!!!!!!!
MVTi Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mark,

Although I appreciate your input, I am aware of the superchip. It can be had for 390 USD.

However the subject of the post is what it is because I don't want to pay someone else 390 to tune my car. I wan't to tune it myself.

Anyone? Honda people have palm pilot programs to do this now.. it's ridiculous that hyundai tuners are so far behind. Someone must have something on this.

- Matt

WWW.AUDIO-DOCTORS.COM
Old 10-28-2004, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

No worries, just wasn't sure if you knew or not.

With regards to the Honda programming - you are referring to Hondata, and its not quite as simple as that. First, you have to send your ECU off to them (along with quite a large sum of cash!!!!) so that they can fiddle with it and upload new software and chip it. Then they send it back to you so you can plug it back into the car. Then you can remap the standard parameters using either a Palm Pilot as you say, or with a laptop.

The problem with this, is not only is it very expensive, it is also dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, and should really be left to the professionals. Setting up an SAFC is risky enough (and thats pretty much just a linear fuel map), but setting up a full custom ECU with proper 3D fuel maps is ridiculously difficult unless you're trained to do so.

With regards to 'why are Hundai tuners so far behind' - its probably more to do with limitations of the ECU's themselves. Don't get me wrong, it probably can be done, but perhaps its not as easy as with the Honda OBD0 and OBD1. The Honda ECU's are widely recognised as some of the best OE ECU's around, and I think this is why tuners tend to concentrate on them.

I for one would love to see more tuning gear available for Hyundai's - I really don't think there's enough about, and I would have loved to have done more with my S Coupe Turbo when I had it. But, until they do start doing more for Hyundai's (although its unlikely they will start concentrating on the older models at this stage), I'd do what everyone else does - try using universal things. Go for either an Apexi SAFC (although you'll have to figure out which ECU wires to splice into, as the instruction manual doesn't cover the S Coupe) or go for a Greddy E-Manage which again is universal (so I believe) and can be remapped by using either a laptop or similar, or by combining it with the Greddy Profec E-01. Once you've put either of those systems in, you can put some bigger injectors in, adjust the fuel mixture accordingly and then turn that boost up!!!!!!!

Current car: Rover 216 Cabriolet, Honda D16 1.6 16v engine, 4 branch manifold, Garret T3 turbo at 8 PSi, Renault 21 intercooler, Collins BOV, Samco boost hoses, 345cc injectors, Apexi SAFC II, 17" Chrome BSA 264's, GMAX suspension, Scorpion decat pipe, Sportex twin 3" exhaust system, LOTS of ICE!!!!!!!
MVTi Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok the Hyundai ECU is teachable which means if you reset it it will lose all the Mapping and will start from scratch. This gives you the opportunity to remap it your self and this is done by the way for drive it for the 60 mins after it has been reset.......... this is the most affective way of altering the ECU........ other then Super chips but i don't rate them very high.

I Drive
2002 UK Coupe
Lowered On 17's
Pipercross Induction
2005 Headlight conversion
2005 Interior re trim
phil_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

actually, I was planning on remapping more then fuel, etc.. I wan't to play with the boost settings, and set the curves to my liking. anyone?

WWW.AUDIO-DOCTORS.COM
Old 10-31-2004, 01:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Matt.....I`m pretty sure it`s not possible to completely wipe & re-write the Hyundai ECU mapping via laptop in the way you describe.

I raised my boost to 12 p.s.i. by inserting a simple bleed valve into the line between the turbo outlet nipple & the solenoid & provided additional fuel via an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.....I`ve added another device to weaken the resulting over-rich mixture when I`m under vacuum & off boost (an Ecotek).

Phil......after doing an ECU reset, Hyundai ECU`s will always try to revert to their original mapping; unless something is permanently changed in the signals it receives from the sensors......i.e. like when a reset is done after fitting a CAI.
If you spend a week commuting in heavy traffic, the ECU will soon lose the aggressive curves you gave it by driving like Schumacher, following the previous weekend`s reset
& you`ll need to do yet another reset to get back where you were previously.

Nick.
My mods.(180 crank bhp.) include: cold air induction (with 12v fan & ram air), dump valve, FSE fuel pressure regulator, strut brace, rear (+2.5") spacers, Spax lowering springs & Pedders shocks. Subaru bonnet scoop & upgraded cockpit. Custom 2.5" exhaust with twin 4" tailpipes & 15"x7" alloys . Intercooler fitted + manual boost controller & oilcooler.
VALKYRIE YB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, thats all good n well, but I am seasoned, and aware of thinking "outside the box" however, the power to change everything from a program whenever I please as well as monitor all of it is very attractive to me, and cannot be done any easier then tapping the ecu. So I am going to try, try, and try some more until I find it.

thanks.

- matt

WWW.AUDIO-DOCTORS.COM
Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am able to reprogram the ECUs.
arsen1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

lmao. fuck hondata. crome or or uberdata. anyone who pays for hondata is a fucking idiot. hacking the honda obd0 and obd1 ecu's is a breeze. i have 3 custom (as in i burned them with my eeprom burner on my lappy) pm6's sitting right next to me. hyundai tuners need to catch up, im not flaming anyone, but i am just saying.. i left 2 years ago, peeps were using the scoupe turbo manifold. nothing has changed. cant anyone weld? where are the custom tubular manifolds? you guys are still using fmu's. its the stoneage here. lets get some 25 psi daily driven built accents running 400+whp built up guys!
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe