"Canister Close Valve" 1999 Hyundai Accent GL - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-03-2005, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default "Canister Close Valve" 1999 Hyundai Accent GL

Anyone have their check engine light come on and told that the problem is the
Canister Control Valve? I took my 1999 Accent GL in a few days after the light came on. The engine seemed to be running fine but I thought I'd better get it to the dealer
for the code and remedy. I was called by the service manager that the "Canister
Close Valve" was causing the light. I asked what it was. He said it "was part of the
emissions system". He told me it would cost $240 dollars to replace which included labor. On my way to the dealer to pick up my car I thought "Hey, why isn't it covered by the California Emissions 7 year/70,000mi Warrantee"? (Massachusetts requires the Calif. emissions)on cars sold here. I asked the service manager when I got there and he told me that only covers the catalytic converter. I asked him to write it on the receipt
and he did. Anyway, the bill was for the part $40 and labor "200"! I've since realized that this part is to prevent gas fumes from getting into the atmosphere and
didn't even effect how the car runs. Also I learned that the "valve" is conected to the
charcoal canister which captures the fumes by 2 screws and a hose. It can be checked to see if it works with a 9-volt battery and it is just under the car in a very accessable place. Should the work have taken "2.5 hours" (x $80 per hour) =$200?????
I think I was taken. I should have asked the service manager if the part was critical and wold the light go off eventually. I've searched different forums and this
"Canister Close Valve" sets off the check engine lights alot! California Emissions
components have padded the incomes of Service Departments at Hyundai dealers.

Anyone had the same problem or know how long it should have taken for a tech to
do a code search, bench test the part and replace it?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: "Canister Close Valve" 1999 Hyundai Accent GL

just buy the part and replace it yourself if money is an issue. if quality is what you're after, pay the tech to do his or her job and keep your car running on the road as it was intended to.
#3 Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 PM

If they are replacing the valve they need to replace the filter as well, nine times out of ten the filters are clogged and therefore the vlave does not operate properly. it is really easy to replace. On your drivers side rear there is a black protector at the back, drop that and you will see the ccv and filter riht there, after that i think it is just unplugging the harness and a few screws and you are done. It is not a crucial part but if it is too clogged it could cause fuel filling issues.

Everyones a jerk...you...me...that jerk!
#4 Old 07-04-2005, 07:33 AM

elaborate on fuel filling issues as i have some. my car wont let me fill up past 3/4s of a tank and even when empty the pump at the gas station stop like the tank is full

Self Desruction Might Be The Answer
#5 Old 07-04-2005, 10:53 AM

clogged vent line? air bubble in top of gas tank??
#6 Old 07-04-2005, 04:21 PM

(Thread Starter)

So if it's easy to get to and replace. Why'd I get billed for 2.5 hours at $80 an hour?
I was wondering how long it took to hook up the car to the code machine, do a leak test
after getting the "major leak" code, then smoke test, then bench test the part, then replace the part.

Does that sound like 2.5 hours of work?

Just wondering.
Cause I thought these "codes" were suppose to narrow things down?

I'd have never gotten the work done if I knew it was one of those "California Emissions"
problems that seem to be causing all these check engine lights to go on but not effecting how the car runs. Although if that happens(i.e. "check engine" light comes on near inspection time, next month for me) the state inspection fails. I only brought it in because the car started to shake a few days later...although it was because of rear tires needing replacement, I thought the two things were related somehow.

"Check engnine" lights are padding alot of service repair shops income.

IMHO
#7 Old 07-06-2005, 06:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to badbrown

I had the same problem on my '99 when I first bought the car back in 99. I took it to the dealer and it was fully covered under warranty. Did'nt pay a dime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe