LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-19-2007, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Hyundai Accent Race Car?

Ok here's the story.

I have/had a 2003 hyundai accent 5 speed 1.5 l GS. last week it was wrote off (nothing major caused it to be wrote off. airbag/rad and rad support the car structure is otherwise good) I am going to buy the car off salvage and start using it as a platform to build a car to race in our annual tarmac rally, Targa Newfoundland. This is a 3000 km rally that has about 750 kms of competitive flat out closed road racing. (the roads are really rough here so keep that in mind)

so here is the question; If you were in my place what would you do to make a targa car? i am trying to keep the car cost under 15 000.

thanks
-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 AM

you could very easily creat a race car out of it with 15 000 and a lot to spare. there are 3 key things! But it's a lot of customer work and you have to know what you're doing.

1) The key would be to strip everything out of the car, completely gut it! making it light and making room for a rollcage. since the body and frame is not rigid since it's not meant for a beating. You will have to reinforce it with a roll cage for sure.

2) with the car gutted and having a roll cage in it. It will be light and strong. You will need more power. another custom job i like the mitsubishi 4g36-t motors very powerful and very light or a honda k20 engine but thats a bit more pricey.

3) suspension and i have no idea where you would get off road suspension but you might be able to swap it from a truck and set the tension to low or something. someone else can help with this part.

I would do it for sure if you have 15 000$ to spend you can do a lot for that much. Lets welcom the NEWFIE. I love newfoundland!

Car: 2006 Hyundai Accent GSI
Mods: TWM performance short shifter, K&N SRI intake. tinted windows.
#3 Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 AM

(Thread Starter)

The gut and cage is going to happen(it has to according to the rules) as for engines, i work at Hyundai dealership, selling cars, and my codriver is a mechanic here so we want to stick with Hyundai parts for the sake of ease and convenience. Plus then we can most likely get some factory sponsorship. We were thinking delta or beta swap.

The thing we don't like about the v-6 is the weight, but the reliability is good, the good thing about the beta is it's light and fits easily in the compartment. But to get the power we want we are looking forced induction. I'm not sure about reliability with that, neither of us are too familiar with it. (i mean we know how it all works and whats involved, but no experience)

The roads we will be on are all paved public roads its just they are a little rough so we just need some springs that can be stiff but have a little give, maybe 600 lb springs etc.

And that you for the warm welcome,

p.s. If you have never checked out info on targa newfoundland you should it's becoming a pretty big event attracting people from everywhere to race on public roads.
#4 Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to fintile

Well seing as the Accent has some decent suspension on it already, not sure if you have anywhere you could test te car out but after you gut it and install the roll cage test it out as is...if it feels sturdy then go for it...now if your going to be doing off road on a ton of rock or something then you might want to try the off road suspension out...Ive done a little bit, seen and heard of people off roading in gravel and the car feels nice a "at home" with the suspension a F/R strut brace maybe a swaybar and the roll cge might do you just fine, leaving you with more money to do an ALL WHEEL DRIVE custom setup (my ultimate dream).

At Hyundai Aftermarket.org
Was a Forum Moderator
Won Car of the month

2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6 (WAS Turboed - 143+ whp untuned at around 7-9 PSI also returning to stock so I'm parting it out fully. Hit me up if you have any questions)

2003 Tiburon GT ( Traded for a newer car)

"Ever notice that someone going faster than you is crazy and that someone going slower is an idiot?"
#5 Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to krazymikeyGT Send a message via Yahoo to krazymikeyGT

ok. i found somthing out. there is some way to use a mitsu drive train for awd. i will see what more i can find out. there was a car on ebay with it. as far as an engine. the beta. its what they ran in the wrc accent. and u may want to cosider a heavy build on the trans. as well as a new shifting mechanism. i cant think of the name of it. but its basically a slap shifter.

I like to go fast
#6 Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to ^scythe^

The AWD drive line you want is the Evo 3 one...
Its what the Rigoli Accent from Australia used...

Tough gear box is known as a dog box...
No clutch if you have the gears ground a special way (altho not sure how it will go with race changes)...

Cheers
scythe

My car:
2000 Accent LC 3 door...
SS inductions CAI...
Exedy HD stage 1 clutch...
#7 Old 09-20-2007, 07:44 AM

I know Iím going to get hung for this but here goes. To stiffen up my 98 Accent I coiled 2 springs inside each other and cut and bent them to the right ride height. Basically I have 4 coils in the back and rubber spacers you can get at crappy tire for the front. It works great. I can pull some fast lap times in Solo 1. The only problem is the dampening, so if the course is bouncy you'll have to do something better.

I gutted my interior, put in a cage, and a set of Momo race seats. It's impossible to hold yourself in your stock seat during cornering.

Most of this stuff shouldnít cost you too much.

Why not just run the stock engine for the first year and just get a taste for racing, this is what I did.

I ran into a guy here that raced the Targa, he told me to find a cage builder with Targa experience. From what Iíve heard the safety checks there are very strict.

#8 Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 AM

(Thread Starter)

the first thing we want to decide is what powerplant. we think at least the beta engine, but we would like to be running around 170 hp because this is what is needed to stay competitive. so what am i looking at doing to the beta to get that power out. and what gearbox will hold it?

on suspension we need to go lower and much stiffer. the car was autocrossed stock and had WAY too much roll so we need to really stiffen it up. i was thinking a good set of coilovers. any suggestions would be awesome.

Although i would love to run a 2.0l turbo awd, i just don't see t he time being there to build it and really check it for reliability. also it would eat up a huge chunk of our budget. This car if we manage to do alright will be built on again for the following year.
#9 Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 AM

Hey Newfie,

Here is a pic of my Accent race car.
It's an x3 but still pretty fast.
Our club is ARMS Inc.
You should post your question there as well
Atlantic Region Motor Sports, Inc.
Most of the racers say it is a lot cheaper to buy a used race car than build from scratch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized race accent.jpg (19.5 KB, 3290 views)
File Type: jpg resized race car 2.jpg (32.1 KB, 4403 views)
#10 Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to attist178

They used a 6-speed Sequential Gearbox in the WRC Accent. No clutch needed.

I work for Honda...go figure. But I'm still a Hyundai fanatic, don't worry!

Past: 2005 Accent GL, 1.6L DOHC -- my baby. R.I.P.
Current: 2002 Buick Regal LSX, L32 3800 Series III Supercharged 3.8L V-6 (swapped from stock L36 N/A 3800 Series II) , Midnight Pearl Blue - SLP 1:8.5 Rockers w/ LS1 springs, ZZP XP-Cam, HP Tuners for custom PCM, 3.69 Gears, built trans., Exhaust U-bend and resonator removed, straight-pipe cat-back with no muffler, some suspension stuff.

PB 1/4-mi: 13.12 @ 108.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe