Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Instrument panel back-lighting and tail lights failing

36K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  lilitoth 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 LC2 that's having a weird issue with the instrument panel and tail lights. Both with fail simultaneously... sometimes for a week at a time, sometimes for 5 minutes.

The instrument panel and console back-lighting simply will not work. Turn indicators will still flash, warning lights will still come on, but nothing is back-lit.

The tail lights will work if I hit the brakes, but otherwise, they won't light up.

These two things always fail together, so they're obviously connected somehow... I've bought my car in for service twice for this, but of course, everything happened to be working perfectly BOTH times I bought it in.

Has anyone run into something like this? I'm no electrician, but I'm guessing it's not a blown fuse because if that was the case, the lights wouldn't come on at all, right?

I'm ready to pull my hair out... driving in the dark with no dash/tail lights is a major pain. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

#2 ·
Has anybody checked out your headlight switch? That's the only thing that I can think of that's related - when you turn it to parking lights or headlights that tells your dash to illuminate (as well as your ACC stuff, such as climate controls) and of course your tail lights. I'd poke around and see if you can get that tested out somehow or possibly just swap it (if they're cheap enough....) to see if that helps - or just check for something simple like a frayed wire within your steering column cover where the lines all come out from that switch - or better yet where they solder on to the board...

#5 ·
Has anybody checked out your headlight switch? That's the only thing that I can think of that's related - when you turn it to parking lights or headlights that tells your dash to illuminate (as well as your ACC stuff, such as climate controls) and of course your tail lights.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping it is... loose connection somewhere.

have you or anyone else done any aftermarket wiring in your car ie remote start, alarm etc
Nope, she's 100% stock.

That is odd. I've heard of a wrong wattage or a signal light going bad causing this. Wonder if it's your car that isn't grounded properly.
Again, I'm no electrician, but if it wasn't grounded properly, wouldn't I be having other problems as well?

#6 ·
I'm having this same problem with my 1997 Tiburon. Usually I can rapidly switch on and off the headlights to get them to come on, but now the problem is worse. It's getting harder to get them to come on. Was this problem, ever solved? or has anyone else had this problem?

#7 · (Edited)
I had a similar problem with my old 01 Accent LC. My solution was that I replaced the Diodes in the fuse box in the car. (those black fuses)

Describing the problem:
It started off with the dash lights and tail lights flashing on and off. I would turn the switch on and off and it would stop flashing for a while. Then, over time, it would get more frequent until the ligts would never turn on again. Then i replaced those fuses (only available through the dealership or ebay may have em??)and never again had that problem.

#8 ·
Either a ground or a fuse, definately check your fuses first both in car and under the hood. Depending on how it blew, it may still get somewhat of a connection intermittenly. Also the fuse sweep would be quicker than tracking down a loose ground wire so definately do that first. I had similar problems with my 98 neon, apparantly 0ga wire is too big for-re routing your battery to the trunk... yeah blew a wire leading to my starter in half and knocked out a fuses.

#9 ·
Ive never had that problem before so i wouldnt know where to start. I guess just do what these guys said and replace the fuses and check for a bad wire somewhere in the steering collum.

#11 ·
Hi!
I have a coupe se just bought private. Next day I changed the stereo and started having these problems as described above. It's getting less frequent but still does it. I'm going to take it in to a hyundai dealers tomorrow and see what they say/do. I'll let you know if it's been resolved

#13 ·
I know! I just bought the car and next day BOOM problem. Was so frustrated. Glad not been pulled over yet. It doesn't seem to have a trigger either, sometimes it will go off when I indicate or put main beams on, sometimes on a bumpy road, and sometimes nothing will set it off and will work perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.