OBD System - Catalytic Converters NOT READY - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

HyundaiPerformance.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default OBD System - Catalytic Converters NOT READY

Hello, I am new to these forums and am hoping to find alittle help with my 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.6L. I am failing NJ inspection because my OBD is giving my catalytic converters a "NOT READY" status. Reading on the net I found a few drive cycles to try, also brought it to a NJ certified emission repair facility and no one can get the cat to read READY. All other systems including the O2 sensors are in ready status. Anyone have any insight on what could cause this problem . Thanks
BillyC_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to attist178

Check the thermostat. The car could be continuously running in open loop, and the computer is seeing that and not taking the cat's input.

Past: 2005 Accent GL, 1.6L DOHC -- my baby. R.I.P.
Current: 2002 Buick Regal LSX, L32 3800 Series III Supercharged 3.8L V-6 (swapped from stock L36 N/A 3800 Series II) , Midnight Pearl Blue - SLP 1:8.5 Rockers w/ LS1 springs, ZZP XP-Cam, HP Tuners for custom PCM, 3.69 Gears, built trans., Exhaust U-bend and resonator removed, straight-pipe cat-back with no muffler, some suspension stuff.

PB 1/4-mi: 13.12 @ 108.
attist178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

The thermostat seems to be working properly.. when it is started you can see it takes awhile for the Temp gauge to move and it moves to its normal position. I also checked my car battery yesterday, I read that on start if some battery's are weak and on start drop to around 9V it causes the computers reset. Mine was fine... I may replace the t-stat anyway, only a few bucks..
Old 11-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

After you erace the the codes out of your computer then start the car does the light come on right away or does it take a while?
If it comes on right away then your front o2 sensers "heater" is malfunctioning.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thats the real thing that is puzzling me, I have no CEL and no codes in my computer. the OBD reads everything in the ready status except for the catalytic converters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe