Replacing Front Wheel Bearing and Tie Rod end - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Replacing Front Wheel Bearing and Tie Rod end

Hi everyone,

I have an 01 GSI Accent. It needs a new left outer tie rod end and a front wheel bearing. Anyone know how difficult this job would be to perform in the garage? (DIY)?. I was told the bearing needs a press in order to replace it, is this true?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2008, 03:11 AM

its not hard just time consuming and sometimes stressing but you will have to get your bearing pressed a local napa can do it i forgot how much it runs had to do that with a buddies car i dun think it costs much but i would deffinetly get a manual if its your first time or i might even be able to scan my book but i would need to find a scanner or something first but i will message more later cause im at work on my cell and my break is over lol lates
#3 Old 09-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to andy

the outer tie rod is an easy job just about anyone can do but the wheel bearings require taking a few more things off the car. Your best bet if you want to tackle the job yourself is to take the entire knuckle assembly off the car and as said before take your new bearings and knuckle to the local machine shop and have them press out the old and press in the new bearings for you. Shouldn't cost more than an hour in machine shop fees($45 in my area). Your going to have some problems getting the axle nut off the car without the use of an impact gun, it can be done but is a big pain.

To get the knuckle off your going to want to take off the caliper and caliper mount, ball joint nut, axle nut, lower strut bolts, and finally your tie rod nut. After taking apart these things and sliding your axle out of the knuckle it will come off the car. A few good whacks on the knuckle might be needed to seperate the ball joint and tie rod. If your going to do the outer tie rod on the same side break the lock nut loose on the tie rod before you seperate it from the knuckle. Make sure you count your turns when taking the tie rod off to get your alignment back in the ballpark. It will still be worthwhile to get an alignment after you replace the bearings anyway since the knuckle will be off the car. Camber isn't adjustable but it can get a little off by tweaking the lower strut mounting point.

Its not a bad job but can be frustrating when bolts don't want to come off. Soak everything down with some penetrating lube(haha!) and let it soak before you start on the job. Having air tools will help a bunch but aren't a must.

good luck

2000 gs- beat up dd(rear sway bar,kore exhaust, hve duct,beta front brakes, 14"elantra 5 spokes, hankook rs2s, cracked kore carbon hood, 1 kdm headlight)
1999 L- fsp terror (too many mods to list)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe