my experience with the accent misfires and coilpacks - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

HyundaiPerformance.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Gallery: 0
Default my experience with the accent misfires and coilpacks

just passing on some info. thanks to rocconi for putting me on the right track, i think its the damn plugs after all.

all this is my theories and will be proven yet either right or wrong...time will tell.

SHORT STORY: gap your plugs for 0.035" instead of the recommended 0.044".

LONG STORY:
ok so i was having the common missfire from my accent (1.6L) as many of you have had. often the coilpacks get blamed. i no longer think this is correct. its my belief that the recommended spark plug gap of 0.044" is incorrect for our coils.

so at first i used the NGK V-Power plugs (v cut electrode) gapped to 0.045" - i have a wire gapping tool so 0.044 isn't an option. worked fine for a few months then the dreaded misfires began. i assumed coils but all testing showed them to be in perfect health. same with the wires....

rocconi mentioned to me in another thread that he had used NGK Iridium plugs and gapped them a little tighter than the 0.044". this seemed to solve the problem for him. this got me thinking...no way in hell does a piddly little 1.6L engine require a high end spark plug like the iridiums. not saying its a bad idea, i just feel its unnecessary. if you want them for performance or other reasons, thats different.

from what i understand simply plopping in iridium plugs will reduce the needed voltage to create your spark by approximately 5000V. this is due to the fact that iridium is an excellent conductor close to that of copper and the ability to make an insanely small tip on the plug due to the hardness properties of iridium. simply put, you get a bigger spark with the same gap compared to copper.

this brings me to think that the problem is not the coils, wires or plugs - its the plug gap. smaller plug means less voltage required for the electricity to arc over that gap.

to further confirm this all my old plugs (used about a year only, same ones) have a good coating of soot indicating that i'm either running rich (not likely in an unmodified car with no error codes from the ECU) or the mixture is not being burned entirely. that would be my misfire. upon inspection my plugs had a gap of closer to 0.050". thats slightly out of spec but not by much here. OEM equipment SHOULD be able to create a spark with this. that then leads me to believe that the OEM coils are rather weak and hyundai is really pushing it with that 0.044" spec on the plugs.

the coils simply do not push out enough voltage for the specified plug gap.

end of the story is new plugs with a tighter gap - i used 0.035". the results are a MUCH more responsive throttle and no misfires! YAY!

within the next couple weeks or even months i'll keep an eye on my plugs for any soot deposits. if they are pretty much gone, then i think i've got the problem solved. i'll post here with my findings. i put a lot of miles on my accent so i think i should know sooner than later.

also i intend to check plug gaps every 6 months now as opposed to checking every year.

just my take on this seemingly common problem, feel free to think i'm full of shit. thats a possibility anyways.
zero_gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to krazymikeyGT Send a message via Yahoo to krazymikeyGT

i had the same issues, and went to bosche pre-gapped.

what ever the most expensive ones where.

that and new wires.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

IM gonna look into that.... On the 1.5L my car compleley misses on 1 cyl i think if i drive @ 65mph for more then 30 mins... itonly does it once in a while.... but i think that could be the problem im pretty sure i usually gap mine to the MAX for stock... and i do run rich all the time cuz of no 02's so good info
g4ebguysite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymikeyGT View Post
i had the same issues, and went to bosche pre-gapped.

what ever the most expensive ones where.

that and new wires.
That's funny because I had the same problem too
Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

i'm noticing a trend here. my secondary purpose to posting this

guess im on the right track.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to krazymikeyGT Send a message via Yahoo to krazymikeyGT

when i had the issue, hyundai could never replicate it. it sucked. so i had to leave the car there. then drive there in the morning to show them how to do it.

they still could never figure it out. i replaced wires and plus and boom!

worked amazing
Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

My wifes 2005 1.6L accent at 60,000Kms from new & dealer serviced, has just gone out of warranty and has started not so much misfiring but not picking up smoothly and the more gas I give it the worse it gets, no CEL light though.
2 new lots of plugs, Bosche & NGK, new plug leads and the problem seemed to be worse. I re gapped the plugs from 1mm down to .8 mm and it worked much better but still their.I checked the spark to new plug gapped at 1mm and the spark was very weak, it was thin and jumping around on the electrode, this happened from both coilpacks. I finally lowered the gap to a small .6mm as a test and although it was down on power a smidge it did not hesitate or misfire at all.
Question, is there any component that can effect spark on both coilpacks or is it likely both coilpacks are failing in a similar way at the same time ?
The car is left unshaded at my wifes work car park and the temperature on the bonnet will fry an egg most days in the summer months so this could cause coilpacks to fail.
Any thoughts ?
au007417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

If I wasn't so dam cheap I would throw a MSD ignition system on my Accent and increase the gap to around .060. I really think that the stock coil packs are not up to the job. I was also thinking of using one coil per cylinder and building a FET amplifier to interface the new coil pack to the ECU but I never got around to it.
No A/C--- No P/S--- 5 Watt Radio
Woofers are something that you feed dog food to.
Bigger spots of rust treated with Rustolium Rust reformer.
Pulled the 2 rubber plugs from the bottom of the trunk to let the water out. I think that I might just have a fender rust problem.
142K Miles and still going strong.
rocconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

BTW, since I went to the small center electrode NKG (BKR5EGP) plugs with a .035 gap my misfire problem has not come back. I think that they are platinum and they cost under $5 each.
No A/C--- No P/S--- 5 Watt Radio
Woofers are something that you feed dog food to.
Bigger spots of rust treated with Rustolium Rust reformer.
Pulled the 2 rubber plugs from the bottom of the trunk to let the water out. I think that I might just have a fender rust problem.
142K Miles and still going strong.
rocconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

its more the gap than anything. although the platinum allows a smaller tip, the electrical resistance is higher than copper so there really isn't much benefit. iridium on the other hand...thats a different story. but then the cost isn't worth it.

btw, for anyone thinking it it's not a good idea to gap platinum or iridium plugs out of the package and especially not later. two reasons: 1. you can contaminate the electrode with your gapping tool. 2. its smaller, and easier to brake off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe