LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_hamster View Post
If you paid attention to my last post you would see I could not find any valve covers in the scrap yards (at least not in good condition) in the area.
then what options are left genius?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to DREROB

I was leaving that comment open for jokes about all these 1 post members, with bad questions. Ninja at least is communicating so he must not be a bot program designed to drive up post content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4ebguysite View Post
I was trying to say its not all guys, then i wondered WAIT thats a chick with a penis, SO technically its all girls?????????? See this is were i got confused, cuz a penis = guy but its a girl, with a penis, so Exactly what is that? so its not gay, its a women, BUT with a manhood, but its a form of surgery modification making it like having breast implants, so its a women, so its not gay
#13 Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Why were you using a torque wrench on your valve cover? Hand tight then snug it down with the ratchet.

Search the net. Check e-bay. Get out the yellow pages. Till then hope the JB-weld will hold.

Stop making a big deal about a small problem with a simple solution.

Former Hyundai owner, still here to help.

2011 Honda CRV (family mover)
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS (parts car)
1993 Asuna Sunfire (parts car / stripped)
2007 Ford E-250 (work truck)
#14 Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 PM

(Thread Starter)

Alright...

Already ordered a new cover and gasket. I actually cracked it when hand tightening it. I don't know how tight it needs to be to make a seal and I am worried I will break the new one.
#15 Old 04-09-2012, 12:24 AM

If it cracked when hand tightening it, remind never to shake your gorilla hands, lol. no really, if it cracked from that then it wasnt going to last much longer anyways.

Quote:
I was trying to say its not all guys, then i wondered WAIT thats a chick with a penis, SO technically its all girls?????????? See this is were i got confused, cuz a penis = guy but its a girl, with a penis, so Exactly what is that? so its not gay, its a women, BUT with a manhood, but its a form of surgery modification making it like having breast implants, so its a women, so its not gay
#16 Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREROB View Post
I was leaving that comment open for jokes about all these 1 post members, with bad questions. Ninja at least is communicating so he must not be a bot program designed to drive up post content.
problem is i think this whole place should burn in hell
#17 Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gravity View Post
problem is i think this whole place should burn in hell
Sounds like me when I was in the Navy.
#18 Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Im likeing this guy, keep it up and pas may tell ya about the other "place"

Quote:
#19 Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Banned

yeah i'll leave him be. get him on the good site.
#20 Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_hamster View Post
Yes it happened because I over tightened the bolts. My torque wrench will not click with such a low torque for what ever reason. People make mistakes sometimes and I need a quick fix until I can get a replacement cover which is why I asked if JB would work. Sure it's an epic fail but when some one trolls because I am asking for some advice how would you expect me to react? I am not looking for a smart ass comment. I am just asking for your opinion and it is up to you to give it to me. I am used to cars that have metal covers and not plastic ones so that's my fault for not being observant. Thanks for the advice though. Does anyone got an extra cover they would be willing to part with? I can't find any in any junk yards around the area.
It's generally accepted that you should only use a torque wrench in the middle 80% of it's specified range because it gets too inaccurate near it's limits (unless this has already been accounted for, you'd have to check the specs for yours). You should never solely depend on it because it won't tell you if it's stripping the thread, it'll only tell you if you've got to the desired torque. It also won't help if it's old and hasn't been calibrated in a long time, so you need to have a rough feeling for what different torques feel like. Pro tip: get it calibrated.

You shouldn't really need a torque wrench to securely do up a valve cover anyway. All it really does is keep the dirt out and the oil in; it's not pressurised. Sealing it with some JB-Weld and or gasket goo is fine as a quick fix as long as you leave it to cure properly. Hell if it was really hard to find a replacement (which it's not) it'd probably last quite a while.

I'm sure you could get an aluminium replacement made, but it'd cost you an arm and a leg. A couple of hundred for the Aluminium and probably a couple of thousand in machining, even if you kept it square, boxxy and ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe