LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Chainsaw oil in my accent

haha just trying to get your attention

anyway ive been using 5w30 as hyundai recommends but...

what brand is your preference ?

ive been using quaker state/penzoil for the longest time but i heard about thqat crap having beeswax in it or whatever so i thought id try that castrol GTX...

my accent has 174 kms and counting daily so the piston rings are on the way out as any other aged cars...

i do pizza delivery so i dont tend to put synthetic due to burning...

What kind of oil do you use in your accent?

also what do you recommend for burning oil? ive tried lucas but not the whole bottle yet... ir still burned at %40 of the bottle used...

04 accent 1.6 3 door all stock baby

driving 1000 kms per week with 5w30

Last edited by 04accentgs; 11-20-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM

Default Options galore...

Your milage may vary, and this subject tends to bring out long threads...

My Accent has had Mobil 1 since its first oil change (3000km), and is just shy of 300,000km now. 10W30 in the summer, and 5W30 in the winter. I have run synthetics in all my street cars for about 15 years, and used it in cars that I run on the track for years before that. 2nd choice to Mobil 1 for me would be Valvoline full synthetic - sometimes easier to find at a good price in Canada than Mobil 1.

If I was to use conventional oil in an Accent like yours, I would use Valvoline High Milage 5W30 winter, and 10W30 summer. I have used it in friends cars that are more budget minded, and it works really well. Seems to really help with the oil consumption.

I bought a 1990 Civic back in 2005 (15 years old w/90,000km on the odometer), and it was using a lot of oil (always had dealer conventional oil for its whole life). The oil rings on the pistons were gunked up, and not doing their job anymore. I changed the oil to Valvoline full synthetiic, ran a bottle of Z-Max in the crankcase, and a bottle of Z-Max in the gas tank. Seemed to work well in that car, and oil consumption dropped dramatically.

1998 Accent Sport

Last edited by J.P.; 11-21-2012 at 10:20 PM.
#3 Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 PM

(Thread Starter)

the high milage stuff seems a bit out of my budget as i do pizza delivery so i oil change every month... i might try one bottle if it stops the burning... but why valvoline recycled for the high milage stuff?

#4 Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 PM

I am not sure about the recycled (green bottle) Valvoline. Haven't used it or read much about it yet.

The one I have used is the red bottle Valvoline High Milage. I believe you can buy just the Valvoline High Milage additive (500ml bottle), and add it to regular oil. Last time I saw it, I think it was about $10 a bottle. Could be a good option for you.

1998 Accent Sport
#5 Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 PM

On a side note - are you sure your car is burning oil? Check the rocker cover gaskets, and the oil pan carefully. I have seen a lot of Accents leak oil at the front of the rocker cover gaskets, and oil pans rotting through where the exhaust passes under it. Both spots are a source of high heat, so the oil burns off before you ever see a drip on the ground. Dipstick tubes leaking at the block are common too. A stuck PCV valve can also vent too much oil vapor back into the intake too (another source of burning).

1998 Accent Sport

Last edited by J.P.; 11-21-2012 at 10:34 PM.
#6 Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 PM

(Thread Starter)

im not sure on all the terms ur using as im not anywhere near a mechanic lol

but i did the valve cover gasket with my buddy as the seals were a solid rock and leaked on the block somewhat... i got a new oil pan installed also...

The car ONLY burns at 2000 km which burns maybe 1 quarter of a quart and i top it up... as i fill up gas before the oil change or at the oil change (4000) km it burnt the EXACT same amount again...same intervals... so i think i might try that valvoline additive stuff...

#7 Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to J Van Hook

I run 5w-30 Cam2 Synthetic Blend. 165k miles. I use that oil because its free from the shop I work at. I also use a Champion PH2808 filter. Replaced the valve cover gasket 5k miles ago. They tend to go bad at about 120k on these 1.6l engines hyundai and kia uses.

Upgrades: Free Flow Filter (WAI), Front Strut Bar, Clear Headlight Mod ||| Replaced:Clutch (kit), Front Left CV Axle, Front Left Wheel Studs, Front and Rear Motor Mounts, Muffler (Twice), Trunk Release Latch and Trim, Interior Driver Door Latch, Crank Sensor
Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Catalytic Converter
Power Steering Belt, Battery (Twice), 12v Accessory plug, Front Right Wheel Bearing. 160,000 Mi. Will need another clutch put in soon (Release Bearing Issues).
#8 Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM

(Thread Starter)

i did not find that high milage additive anywheres...

#9 Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM

Default Nla

I think you are right. I just had a look at the Valvoline website, and they don't seem to list it anymore. Maybe they took it off the market as their high milage oil is pretty reasonable. I do remember they had a warning on the bottle not to combine it with high milage oil.

1998 Accent Sport
#10 Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM

(Thread Starter)

Synthetic blend is the issue I think...im going to try a few jugs of castrol so by spring ill try valvoline high milage.... or do I keep buying castrol as its 15 $ per gallon?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Accent/Excel/S-Coupe