Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Bought a '98 Excel - What Do You Think?

9K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  kjparker 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I paid $320 for my 1998 Excel twin cam (no rego no rwc) about 3 months ago - the previous owner replaced the tyres and struts and gave it a basic service. It had 169417KM on the clock when I bought it and now has 172072KM. The only things I have done to it is replace one of the CV boots (quite a pointless job :p), and replace the power steering belt.

Some pictures:

http://s30.postimg.org/vx3j48t9t/image.jpg
http://s30.postimg.org/kw3slhbn5/57_1.jpg

So, (Australians) I was wondering how good of a deal you think I got?

I think it was a reasonable deal, I've seen a lot crappier excels with much higher KM's sell for hundreds more.

#6 · (Edited)
Finally had my RWC check done yesterday. Needed a new windscreen and two new front tyres; I'm okay with that! He's coming back in a couple of hours (hopefully) to give me the blue paper!

Then to rego it!

I did have to swap out the coolant, power steering belt, and oil, but these are just normal service items, including the tyres (and I'll say including the windscreen to be optimistic hah).

And a serious polish was done to it. The dirt was ingrained in the paint, but it's come out very nice. Next is a clay bar (if I can find my clay bar) and a wax, though that won't remove the small dents in the car hahah

Now that it's at nearly 280 000 kms, I'm thinking maybe the timing belt should be changed, as it seems that the general consensus is every 90 000 kms and these engines apparently go for ever...

What timing belt kit do you guys use? Are there any with hydraulic tensioners that are worth using? I'm a bit weary about using a mechanical tensioner as the last car I did a t-belt change on was a Forester, and that was hydraulic. How do you know it's on tight enough? Anybody else here done a timing belt change on their Excel? I figure removing the one engine mount and jacking it up (to have enough space to work with) and you're good to go?

Long story short, all-in-all car was about 1400 dollars after I register and insure it. And of course a fill-up at the servo. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but so be it!

#7 ·
Oh, and you all seem to have bought at the right price. Better off than me, especially something for $500 WITH rego and rwc! I am envious!

Australianboyracer, maybe if you hit your faded paint with some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (or any polish really?) and some serious elbow grease, it'll come out shiny?? Don't bother with one of those cheapo orbital polishers from SuperCheap, I used mine (bought for $20 ages ago) and it barely worked, then started falling apart after about 1/4 of the car was done! hahaha

#8 ·
Awesome! Two new front tyres? Someones been having some fun with her :p How much did the roady cost? (cost me $120). I recently replaced my valve/rocker cover gasket - about $20 from supercheap as it was very slowly seeping out oil, just something else to keep in mind. I should probably check my head gasket in case that's leaking too... Also tightened the alternator belt as she squealed occasionally.

I've asked around and from what I've heard people quite commonly don't bother changing their timing belts, one older fella I spoke to at the local markets had a '98 Excel which had around 220K on the odo and he said he hadn't changed it. I would prefer not risking totally ****ing the engine though, I would definitely like to do mine at some point or another, I'll probably leave it till 190+. Good video here I posted in my other thread thought I'd post it here as well in case anyone here finds it of any use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3e9Fx_Dd78

I haven't looked into the specifics of changing my timing belt yet though so I can't help you there :(

The guy I bought my Excel off was a top bloke, he originally had it listed for "buy it now" at $1200. 5 months later and she's still going hard :D

hahaha thanks for the advice, though I'm not too fussed about polishing her, only when (if) I ever planning on selling her :D

#9 ·
AustrlianBoyRacer,

Sorry for slow reply, I have email notifications set up but they don't seem to be working!

My RWC (he came to me) cost 99 dollars. And yes, he actually did give me back a dollar, even after I told him not to bother with it! hah

Mine also has a slow leak in the rocker cover, so I'm going to get on that. It also seems to be seeping some coolant, hopefully that's not an indication (i think it could be?) that the head gasket's got a leak. I'm not seeing any drips or anything, but she definitely uses a bit of oil!

And the timing belt will be the (third next) thing on my to-do list. Might as well keep her going as long as possible! I'll laugh if she lasts for a few more years!

Thanks for that video link, I'll give it a good (few) watches before attempting it in this car. I know the Subaru I did last time was fairly easy as there was plenty of room to work with!

I DO have one question though. I left my lights on over a day (forgot that it switches to parking lights automatically and didn't notice!). Anyway, I've tried jumping, to no avail. I tried push/pop starting, and nothing.

What I'm experiencing now is NO turn over. I don't even hear the starter trying to kick. There is power (radio, lights, etc... work). This car didn't come with a key fob, and I don't really think that there is a chip in the key (looks a bit slim, black plastic-topped Hyundai key though). I'm starting to wonder if it could be the immobiliser? Does your excel have a little red light that flashes, located on the top side of the steering wheel? I'm starting to think that it's reset itself and immobilised the car, and that there might be some steps I need to take in order to unlock the immobiliser? I.e. leave key in on position for set amount of time, or some fancy door open, door close, key sequence? And is there a fuse I should be looking for?

The car's on the road from my push start attempt now since last night! I'm going to go knock the starter and check all the connections right now. Please help me! hahaha

#11 ·
So it seems that I can push-start the car. Starter doesn't seem to be receiving power (at least not to the S-terminal when i checked), and I used my RACQ membership to have a guy come and look at it. He also agreed power doesn't reach the starter; however, when he saw the little red light that's on the steering column flashing away, he immediately said that it's an immobiliser issue.

When I told him that the car can still be push-started, he didn't really believe me, and said he had to see that for himself. So we push-started it just fine. He still says that it's the immobiliser.

I don't have a key fob, and I don't think that the key has a chip in it.

Any suggestions??

#12 ·
So it seems that I can push-start the car. Starter doesn't seem to be receiving power (at least not to the S-terminal when i checked), and I used my RACQ membership to have a guy come and look at it. He also agreed power doesn't reach the starter; however, when he saw the little red light that's on the steering column flashing away, he immediately said that it's an immobiliser issue.

When I told him that the car can still be push-started, he didn't really believe me, and said he had to see that for himself. So we push-started it just fine. He still says that it's the immobiliser.

I don't have a key fob, and I don't think that the key has a chip in it.

Any suggestions??
HI!

In the first instance what I would try would be to jump the solenoid on the starter directly to the battery (making sure it's in Neutral of course). If it starts (or cranks) then it is likely to be an immobiliser issue. Depending on who installed the immobiliser, it is likely they just cut the starter wire, which would explain why you can clutch start it.

Also, double check that the clutch switch is working, as unless it's been bypassed, it wont crank unless the clutch is in.

Incidentaly, I just picked myself up a 1998 excel, resgistered (1.5 months left) with 215k on the clock yesterday for $500, Had the timning belt done 15000km ago as well. Very happy with it so far. Great little car for my daily trip to the railway station!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.