User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-06-2002, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Change intervals...

I was really surprised to learn that all Toyotas have a change interval of 5000 miles for both oil and filter...of course this caused a little problem when people started delaying on that 5000 mark and some of the oil gelled up and eventually toyota offered to fix the engines even though it wasn't all their fault(if you just friggin replace your damn oil it's not a problem...how hard is the concept?!)

Anyways, the point is, why is the Hyundai interval so much shorter? I only found out the toyota's was 5000 when I noticed the Camry I was driving had 7000+ miles so i had asked my dad if he had replaced the oil yet, and he said yes, at 5000. I was pretty surprised so I checked if that was the recommended time but apparently that's the recommendation for ALL toyotas regardless of if you use synthetic(although the car did come from the factory with synthetic and my dad did do the change with synthetic...mobil 1 =P).

So yeah, why is Hyundai's interval 3000? I recall that Honda's used to be 3000 also but I don't know what it is now(89 accord had 3000). I only ask this since it kinda adds to the cost of the car since I want to replace with synthetic...

P.S. heh, the camry i-4 was pretty peppy when I was driving...I floored the gas from a standstill one time before realizing there was mobil1 and the tires screeched like crazy hehe...
And after I found out there was mobil1 in the engine and we had filled up with new Sunoco Ultra94(=P 94 octane baby! the car was actually harder to start though haha maybe I should convince him to put in iridium sparks or something) the thing had smooth acceleration on the highway...I could notice slightly less strain was needed to pull it to higher speeds =) Uhh ok you probably all know the feeling of having more speed but I hadn't really gotten to drive anything with synthetic and 94 octane before lol and the VVT-i helped I'm sure...OH and it was REALLY cold that day(about 24 degrees farenheit/under 0 celsius) and I was on the highway so I'm *sure* that added more power to the engine...too hehe

Yum...probably had 170HP on tap from the cold air and synthetic and 94 octane =) yummmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-07-2002, 01:16 AM

Re: Oil Change intervals...

on the manual for elantras it says change your oil between 5000-10000 miles. of course, if you like your car, you won't do this though.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-07-2002, 03:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to jett8828

I've never cared what the manual or anybody says. I have always changed the oil every 3000 miles. My rx7's engine was spotless even thought it has over 100,000 miles

[Edited by jett8828 on Dec 7, 2002 11:41 AM]

[image]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
google_ad_section_end -->

post #4 of 12 Old 12-07-2002, 08:58 PM

Unless I can't help it, I always change between every 3000-5000 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-07-2002, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to kustomaccent

Its just always been a basic rule of thumb to change the oil on any car every 3 to 5000 miles. But I baby my car like nobodys buisness so i change it every 2000 miles but that's just me :

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-09-2002, 01:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to fordfasterr

if you use regular motor oil, and you race your car all the time, i mean, really put stress on it hitting redline all the time ...

you should change your oil BEFORE the 3000 mile mark...

i change mine every 2000 miles, thats just me. because the oil is like the blood of the engine, dirty oil will just cuase premature bearing wear and friction surface premature wear aswell.

:chinese:

Great minds discuss ideas,
Average minds discuss events,
Small minds discuss people.

AIM SN: FordFasteR

[image]
post #7 of 12 Old 12-09-2002, 04:21 PM

yeah. like heart attacks... someone shut me up.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-11-2002, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

oh so the manual says 5000 for the elantra too? I saw somewhere online that hyundai's have 3000 mile maintanence periods...but now I can't find any reference on the hyundaiusa website...hmmm
post #9 of 12 Old 12-11-2002, 12:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to RedDevil02

why dont you go to a hyundai dealership and go to the service center and ask them what they recommend doing as far as oil changes.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-2002, 02:29 PM

Here's what I do: I add that engine oil additive stuff when I get close to 3000 miles and then get a full oil change at about 4000 miles. The oil additive stuff contains extra lubricants and supposedly provides thermal viscosity breakdown protection. Since a bottle of that stuff only costs about a dollar, I figure it's a cheap way to lengthen times between full oil changes and still protect the engine. Cool eh?
TYLER :duh:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Elantra