Need some help bleeding the clutch fluid reservoir (no manual to follow) - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-24-2005, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need some help bleeding the clutch fluid reservoir (no manual to follow)

While helping my g/f diagnose and fix her car (bad clutch?), I noticed that the DOT 3 fluid in the clutch fluid res. (not sure if this is the proper name for this reservoir) is black!!! I'd like to know how to flush this fluid but I don't have manual to guide me.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me a brief description of how to do this, or if this possible?

Also, would a Haynes manual covering Elantras to 2001 be good enough for a 2002 Elantra? I can't find a decent manual at any of the auto parts stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-24-2005, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to omgbossis21
Re: Need some help bleeding the clutch fluid reservoir (no manual to follow)

The bleeder is on the clutch slave cylinder. Bleed it just like you would brakes...

scoupe pistons/shotpeened rods,tib TB/maf/ecu,UD crankpulley,rebalanced crank,p&p head(I/E side),removed PS/ac,t3 super 60 turbo,fmic,hks ssqv bov,emanage,innovate wideband (xd-1 gauge),apexi boost gauge,440cc ford injectors,malpassi rrfpr
post #3 of 15 Old 08-24-2005, 03:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to beppomarx

its the same process as bleeding brakes- except you pump the clutch pedal and loosen the clutch slave cylinder located by the front motor mount instead of a brake slave cylinder.

what i do is just loosen the slave cylinder bleeder screw and let it all run dry. then disconnect the reservoir from the master cylinder and clean it out with brake cleaner because all that black crap rests in the bottom of that. theres still more in the line, so reattach the reservoir and fill it up. let it bleed all the way back down the line and proceed to pump and bleed the system. if you know how to bleed brakes it should be a piece of cake.

in all honesty though in my accent, and a lot of other manual hyundais it seems that the fluid goes black really quick. ive bled mine quite a few times in the past ~100k miles and it seems to always go black sometimes within just a few weeks. so i doubt that the fluid itself being black is the problem. the only adjustment is a screw type adjustment where the pedal hits the pushrod thing under the dashboard near the firewall. i would check that first and see if you can adjust that for any more life but i am about 90% sure that you won't find a remedy there. if you were in NY i would be glad to replace the clutch for you, its a piece of cake. but try all of the above and if nothing else go find a new clutch and a place to install it. vaelo clutch kits are OEM BTW.

reminiscing of my LC...

Quote:
Originally posted by solo-baric
[body]
Excellence in all we do. hopefully i pissed him off some more and that would be excellent.
[/body]

post #4 of 15 Old 08-24-2005, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally posted by beppomarx
[body]
its the same process as bleeding brakes- except you pump the clutch pedal and loosen the clutch slave cylinder located by the front motor mount instead of a brake slave cylinder.

what i do is just loosen the slave cylinder bleeder screw and let it all run dry. then disconnect the reservoir from the master cylinder and clean it out with brake cleaner because all that black crap rests in the bottom of that. theres still more in the line, so reattach the reservoir and fill it up. let it bleed all the way back down the line and proceed to pump and bleed the system. if you know how to bleed brakes it should be a piece of cake.

in all honesty though in my accent, and a lot of other manual hyundais it seems that the fluid goes black really quick. ive bled mine quite a few times in the past ~100k miles and it seems to always go black sometimes within just a few weeks. so i doubt that the fluid itself being black is the problem. the only adjustment is a screw type adjustment where the pedal hits the pushrod thing under the dashboard near the firewall. i would check that first and see if you can adjust that for any more life but i am about 90% sure that you won't find a remedy there. if you were in NY i would be glad to replace the clutch for you, its a piece of cake. but try all of the above and if nothing else go find a new clutch and a place to install it. vaelo clutch kits are OEM BTW.
[/body]
Thanks beppomarx, this is the most insightful feedback so far! I'm willing to spend my time chasing the easier and cheaper maintenance related items before conceding that it is definitely the clutch. I printed off the clutch pedal adjustment specs and bleeding info from http://www.hmaservice.com/.

This has been one frustration after another. I'll admit I'm pretty anal about car stuff, but she has no idea when/if any maintenance has been performed so I'm going completely from a baseline knowledge of zero. So I thank everyone here for helping me as I'm trying to learn!!!

With that said, I'll stop tonight to grab some fluid and perform a flush. It probably needs it regardless of the clutch problem. I have a motive pressure bleeder for the brake system so hopefully my cap will fit the Hyundai reservoirs.

Any and all feedback continues to be welcomed!!! Thanks!

post #5 of 15 Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to omgbossis21

Also the clutch slave cylinder could be (going) bad... Mine went bad...

scoupe pistons/shotpeened rods,tib TB/maf/ecu,UD crankpulley,rebalanced crank,p&p head(I/E side),removed PS/ac,t3 super 60 turbo,fmic,hks ssqv bov,emanage,innovate wideband (xd-1 gauge),apexi boost gauge,440cc ford injectors,malpassi rrfpr
post #6 of 15 Old 08-24-2005, 08:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to cclngthr

Make sure the fluid comes clear and do it several more times to clean out everything. When I do a car, I usually use a quart of fluid when I'm bleeding the clutch or brake system. I don't think the slave cylindar is bad, but it has a lot of gunk in there from the fluid. That can be cleaned out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-24-2005, 08:24 PM

Check this thread out, this should help a little. there's more links but you have to sift through some whoring to get to the instructions.

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=42405

Be carefull loosening the bleeder valve, I did this myself and just gravity on the clutch pedal shot fluid about 10 feet into the air at first.

[Edited by BigZach on Aug 24, 2005 4:24 PM]

mmmm....beefy.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to peters73 Send a message via MSN to peters73 Send a message via Yahoo to peters73

Take out the spring while you are at it. A little mod for your g/f.

2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE - Orange Crush

The Hyundai Mafia News Reporter

John 3:16

post #9 of 15 Old 08-25-2005, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally posted by omgbossis21
[body]
Also the clutch slave cylinder could be (going) bad... Mine went bad...
[/body]
I spoke to a buddy who works at a tranny shop and read through the spring plate mod thread this evening. Based on what my friend said, the black in the fluid is most likely clutch dust that is getting past a seal on the piston. Does this seem reasonable?

So.......if the entire hydro system to the clutch is loaded with brake dust (fluid has not been replaced in 3.5 yrs.), there could be a large build up at the hole and/or the fluid is simply too viscous to flow through that hole in the spring plate easily. My g/f said it is always worse in the morning (eg. car has set all night and fluid is cold [resistant to flowing]; once the car warms, clutch feel gets better but still isn't great).

Could the above scenario create enough resistance of fluid flow in the system to make a driver think the clutch is going bad?

At this point I think I'm going to:
A - flush and clean the clutch reservoir. If no improvement then....
B - propose a bad slave cylinder (would this be a warranty repair, under drivetrain?)
if nothing changes after the slave cylinder, then...
C - clutch needs to be replaced, not sure what else it could be

The car has 49k mi. and my g/f can drive this car better than I can, and I've been driving manuals for 11 yrs. At this point I have no reason to think the clutch was burnt or overly abused.

Thanks
post #10 of 15 Old 08-25-2005, 05:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to cclngthr

If a seal was leaking, you would have to refill the clutch master cylindar all the time. Usually, the fluid gets contaminated within a year or year and a half, causing it to turn dark. I'd flush the system and see how things go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Elantra