User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2002, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
High-pitched squeal in a/c

I have a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS. Every 40 seconds it makes this horrible whine/whistle/squeal from the a/c, especially at speeds of around 40 or above. Has anyone else experienced this? They have been unable to fix this, even after four attempts. Thanks, Susan

<hr noshade width=60% size=1 align=left>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 12:28 PM

Re: High-pitched squeal in a/c

I had the same thing, I posted mine in Kore while this site was down and got the following:

I don't know if this is just happening with Canadian Models, but my 2002 Elantra VE and my friends VE are both making the same whistling/hissing noise whenever the Air Conditioner Compressor kicks in, only while driving. When I'm idling it doesn't make the sound.

The dealership said it's not making any "Abnormal sounds" the tech said there are others that are louder.

I would just like to know if others are having the same problem or if theirs are fine.

Lantra95
Re:Air Conditioner
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2002, 11:28:48 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just had one of them in my shop. I went for a ride with the tech and the best I could come up with was the expansion valve in the firewall. I have seen a few get changed but the noise seems to persist. The hardest part is trying to explain to the customer that we can't fix it, cause it ain't broke (hence the term Normal ). So I guess the answer is, NO, Canada isn't the only ones w/ problems.

Chief Indica
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 10:25:03 AM

I had this whinning sound with my Accent. Didn't matter if it was the A/C or the defrost. The higher the rev the louder the sound got. Mine wouldn't blow out cold air either though. Come to find out I had a bad air compressor.
Report to moderator Logged

JayMan
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2002, 09:08:20 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what I understand from what you said is that you really don't know what's causing it, but it ain't broke, but is defective if they all don't make that noise (as they shouldn't be). The warrenty part says that defective parts must be repaired or replaced. I have never heard an A/C make any noise like that, but my father-in-law said his Grand-Am made a similar sound and that the dealership put some lubrucation in the A/C unit that took care of it.

The tech I talked to said it's all enclosed and can't do that. My A/C is getting louder and louder everytime I use it, I bought that model because of A/C and all I get is this problem and don't want to use it.
Report to moderator Logged

Lantra95
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2002, 01:36:57 PM

The only reason I said it isn't broke is 'cause the parts that we have returned in the past to be inpected weren't failed by their standards. How many miles are on the car? If there's less than 12k, take a trip to the dealer and talk nice to them. Ask them to re-charge the system (they should be able to claim it as an adjustment or something without any problem). It's possible there may be some air in the system that may cause the noise, but even we aren't sure. I'm sure Hyundai will issue a TSB as soon as someone figures it out.

02 Elantra VE
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2002, 12:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to MechaniX_034

Uhhh aight man, could be that your compressor's jammed and it's putting up a fight with your belt. Kinda like your belt's being dragged across the compressor wheel and thats whay you hear the noise. Another option is that your damper pulley's PU has become worn and is slipping. Also check the A/C tensioner bearing to see if it got jammed, these 3 components are the usual suspects, good luck!

"The racing car is not a mechanical exercise, it is not an art object. The racing car is simply a tool for the racing driver."~Carrol Smith(1932 - 2003)

post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2002, 03:14 PM

it happens on my 2000 tib...my dealer said its just one of those things that come with buying a hyundai.....kinda like when you buy a mitsu you get a crappy engine....my tib has 83000 on it and it has not given me any trouble.

Silver Certified Tech turned Sonographer...and not blogger?? haha check it out!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2002, 04:14 PM

i have 02 elantra GT with same whistling ac uzzled:

Elantra GT
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2002, 10:08 PM

Yesterday my friend took his to another dealership out of town, one of the mechanics out there owns one and is annoyed with it too, the dealership told my friend that it is the air you hear pushing through a tiny metel pipe from the compressor. They also said that when he takes it back for a different problem in a few weeks, that they are going to open the cap and put a few drops of oil in it. It isn't a permenant fix, but it turns the high pitch squeal into a splashing sound that you can't hear. If it works out good, I'm going to take mine to dealership out of town. I'll keep you posted on this.

02 Elantra VE
post #7 of 8 Old 08-23-2002, 12:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jake_VVTL-i

My 02 Elantra has done this since the day I bought the car. A/C still gets colder than the A/C in my 00 Celica though.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 12:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to OutlawElantra

Got the exact same sound. when ever my 97 elantra revs w/ the a/c on it makes a funny squealing sound. Never knew what it was all about.

2001 Dodge Neon
Silver, 5-spd.
- AEM cold air intake
- Custom cat-back
- Rex motor mount inserts
- R/T rims and wing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Elantra