User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
power loss going uphill

ok heres the deal. 1999 hyundai elantra (they only made one model that year) when i am driving down hill it runs great. when im driving on the flat it runs great. when i drive up the slightest incline (and i mean 1 degree and up) i lose power at a steady rate. when i hit the gas it seems to shift into a higher gear and revs like crazy and still loses power.

its an auto tranny so i figured what the hell and checked a few things (alternator, battery, plugs, and wires all good. air cleaner and throttle body all good and clean. fuel pressure, pump, sending unit, and filter all good. tranny filter and fluid changed a few days ago (takes 7 qts according to the manual that came with the car and it was 3 qts low even though it never registered low on the dip stick). i figured this was the problem but sadly still does it. check engine light has been on since i bought the car 2 years ago.

if anyone has any suggestions about what i can check next please give em. and before you suggest anything expensive like takin it to a mechanic you should know that i have 2 kids so i dont have a pot to piss in lol.

i do all the work on my cars on the street in front of my house. i get all my repair info from the net and the haynes manual i buy whenever i get a new car.

please give me suggestions i have searched everywhere including here and havnt gotten anything new. it is starting to worry me i live in the mountains so i cant get away from hills and it is starting to get frustrating.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Go to a Checker or AutoZone or somewhere that does free diagnostics on the CEL. Even though it's been on forever, it could give us some insight as to a bigger problem.

Admin needs to stop deleting my sigs.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 PM

Was there a lot of sludge in there when you changed your transmission filter? I was going to say "clutch" but then you mentioned it's an automatic so I'll say "clutches"

What type of fluid was put in at the last transmission service?

Jesus loves you.
______
2000 Elantra, 1.8L intake cam, K&N filter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to standard transmission (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
______
Check out my

post #4 of 15 Old 03-18-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
there was about 1/8 inch of sludge in the bottom of the pan. and always put in the recommended atf from the manual. i dont take any chances with that kind of thing i always play it safe.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dragonis
i would say, it shifting from a higher gear to a lower gear is normal on a hill, however, if your losing power as well even on a lower gear then there is something wrong with the tranny or the engine. Im curious to see what that check engine light is
post #6 of 15 Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
it is deffinately shifting up and seems to be just spinning free like im in neutral but with a very small power gain and reving like crazy but when i let off the gas a little it shifts back down and i can maintain about 40 mph where i was able to do 80 mph before.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 PM

1/8" of sludge = you may need a rebuild or new transaxle. That's clutch pack material or else nasty nasty old oil residue. Either way, not good. You might take it to a gen-u-wine mechanic for an official diagnosis but unless you report back something else I'm going with "clutches"

For comparison, my 130k miles autotragic died of chewed up gears & failed bearings, and the pan had just a very thin skin coat of sludge in it.

Oh, and get the check engine light read. You may be costing yourself lots of gasoline $.

Jesus loves you.
______
2000 Elantra, 1.8L intake cam, K&N filter,
to standard transmission (
)
______
Check out my
post #8 of 15 Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
tranny looks pristine though and there were no shavings or even metal dust just black slimy sludge and it is down shifting but still when i let off the gas it shifts fine just with loss of speed. i tried going up hill today about half a mile started out at 60 when i hit the top was doin 30. i got passed by a fully loaded rig with his flashers on and i swear i could hear him laughing as he went by.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
ok got the cel checked code was p0441- evaporative emission control system, purge valve stuck open. there was only one code
post #10 of 15 Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Now I've figured out that the code probably refers to someone disconnecting the hose to the charcoal filter and I can fix this easily even though it doesn't hinder the performance at all but I am still having the shifting problem so if anyone has any more advice please speak up. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Elantra