Power steering pump noise! - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Elantra
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

HyundaiPerformance.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Power steering pump noise!

I pulled the P/S belt, started the engine, and no more noise.

I pulled the pump and from the way it was put together, it's as if Hyundai expected them to be rebuilt!

Seal kit from the dealer $13! and that's 1/2 the price of the other parts houses.

The bearing not available at the dealership, because, now get this, it's so damn common (#6203) that it's less than a BUCK AND A HALF at motion Industries!

ONLY $15 to rebuild the damn thing!

And all the internal pump parts look damn near new after 140,000 miles!

It will be back together by Thursday as the seal kit is not stocked and we have to wait for it.

1962 Buick 215 Aluminum V8 that will have MegaSquirt EFI (computer built, awaiting intake manifold) and 12:1+ pistons to run either E85, or pure Ethanol!
Gasoline is on the way out soon and hydrogen will not be allowed until the oil industry gets taken down!
RED02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

The last option or probably the final solutiont! Initially, before coming onto such a conclusion, check the power steering pump fluid levels and then decide, whether you need to change it? Power steering pump fluid level is actually the most important and also the most prominent causes of power steering pump noise and in the long run, a power steering system failure! Now, you certainly must have realized the importance of the power steering pump fluid in the power steering mechanism. So what is the solution for it? Needless to say, if the fluid has become too old, then you need to replace the power steering fluid tank with a new fluid, or if the levels have declined, then of course you need to fill in the right amount! Once again you would find your power steering pump working efficiently, as it usually does! You have seen that power steering pump noise can be stopped just by renewing the fluid or by topping on the right fluid levels! However, not always are reduced fluid levels causing problems to the power steering pump. Sometimes, the pump itself gets old and you ought to replace it with a new one, so as to avoid further problems. Now you might be wondering, how to change power steering pump? I have answered it in the next segment of our discussion. Read more on car repair.

Thank you
Alexander Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to krazymikeyGT Send a message via Yahoo to krazymikeyGT

thanks for all the great posts alex.... but how about keeping them on topic.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have solved may noisy PS pump problems with some new fluid. Take as much fluid out of the reservoir as possible and replace it with STP power steering fluid and I but the noise goes away. You might have to repeat the procedure 2 times to solve the problem.
No A/C--- No P/S--- 5 Watt Radio
Woofers are something that you feed dog food to.
Bigger spots of rust treated with Rustolium Rust reformer.
Pulled the 2 rubber plugs from the bottom of the trunk to let the water out. I think that I might just have a fender rust problem.
142K Miles and still going strong.
rocconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry I did not mention checking the fluid.

That was the first thing I did.

The old bearing rolls a little rough even when I spin it by hand between the thumb and index finger.

Now, other than it not starting for a week after I put it back together "mystery engine failure", its fine now.

There is no fluid level to check with the rear wheel bearing that is starting to make noise as well.

One wheel has had the same bearing replaced twice at the dealer under warranty, but now I have to do it for the third time!

I wonder how one wheel can go through them and the other is still fine @ 140,000 miles.

1962 Buick 215 Aluminum V8 that will have MegaSquirt EFI (computer built, awaiting intake manifold) and 12:1+ pistons to run either E85, or pure Ethanol!
Gasoline is on the way out soon and hydrogen will not be allowed until the oil industry gets taken down!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Power steering is acting up in a new way.

Well, two years after I replaced the pump bearing and the power steering is acting up like the belt is slipping.
Sometimes it works fine, sometimes the steering gets jerky and hard.

The fluid level was fine, but I changed out the old stuff anyway, the belt is fine and not loose.
I also pulled the pump apart to inspect it and it still looks as good as new.

When it acts up at a stop, it will squeal, but like I said, the belt is not loose.
It's almost as if the rack is bottoming out against the bump stop (it's not) or the valve that lets excess pressure is dumping pressure randomly.

I took the valve apart with the pump and it looks fine, no scratches.

Anyone experience the rack or valve go bad?
If so, what was that like and could my rack have a seal leaking inside?

Last edited by RED02GT; 10-16-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

The other belt was just a little loose.
Tighten it up a little and it works fine.
I did not notice that the power steering was driven by the alternator belt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Elantra