LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-17-2003, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bizzare
(Thread Starter)
f***ing engine immobilizer

So i buy an O1 elantra engine tranny/ecu/harness (beta II). I get the driveline mounted in, axles in. I go to rewire the harness, takes me about a week. when I am done I go to try and start the miserable pile of crap of mine and what do i get, nothing. Just cranks over for days and no start. We check every single wire, but it still wont start. Then I come to find out that all 01+ elantras come with a freakin engine imobilizer system that sends a code to the comp enabling to start. Well i got a fickin accent so now i just got a fucking pile of sh** in my drive way with a beta swap, that wont start. Now i dont have a ride to work, or anywhere for that matter, No money to put it back to stock, or to buy another engine, oh yea but i still got to pay 218 a month for it, not to mention the god damned tags that i have to buy cuz they expire this month. fuck why didnt i just get the beta I in the first place. so now im basically stuck, im thinking of just lighting the car on fire and ending my problems once and for all:dead::dead:

Beta LC #1

Terrorizing suburban streets with open header burnouts since 2003.

Mexicano hasta la madre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2003, 05:16 PM

Re: f***ing engine immobilizer

Like I said in your other post, if you can figure out how to swap a motor in then you should be able to figure out how to swap the elantra ignition in:hmmm:

There is a replacement for displacement. It is on 2 wheels and 600cc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 6 Old 07-17-2003, 08:32 PM

well... if you can have it all wired up correctly... I see you have two options.. get the dealer to plug in the codes (they can do this if you can prove everything was bought legally) or you can get the works from a 90 elantra and wire it up...

Arthur Haberland
Moderator: RDTiburon.com
  • 1999 Hyundai Tiburon (RIP)
  • 1996 BMW 318ti
  • 1977 Fiat 124 Sport Spider 1800

post #4 of 6 Old 07-17-2003, 08:47 PM

can you get the engine immobilizer system out of the elantra? I've never heard of these, but I've never undertaken this kind of a swap(honda motors are gravy work).

Ok, I thik you need the key and tumblers for an elantra, and swap the units for the accent ones.

Quote:
from WEBTECH[body]
ELECTRICAL TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL
Applies to: Elantra 2001

GROUP
Body Electrical System Immobilizer Control System

IMMOBILIZER CONTROL SYSTEM SCHEMATIC
IMMOBILIZER CONTROL SYSTEM (1)

CIRCUIT INSPECTION

The Immobilizer Control System (ICS) is an anti-theft device that enables starting to be possible only when the mechnical and wireless secret code (memorized in the ECM and SMARTRA), are aligned simultaneously. The transponder (built -in the ignition key head) sends a unique frequency code signal to the SMARTRA (SMARt TRansponder Antenna).

The SMARTRA compares the received signal with the memorized code and communicates with the ECM, controls the engine management system through fuel injection control, via a dedicated communication line. When the code is aligned, the ECM sends a starting signal and the engine starts.
[/body]
Maybe you could swap out the 2001 ECU for an earlier one? That seems like it would work.

Here's some more info that may help you.

The vehicle immobilizer system consists of the ECM, the SMARTRA and ignition keys with built-in TRANSPONDER.

COMPONENT DESCRIPTION

ECM
The ECM carries out a check of the ignition key using a special encryption algorithm, which is programmed into the transponder as well as the ECM simultaneously. Only if the results are equal can the engine be started. The data of all transponders, which are valid for the vehicle, are stored in the ECM.

SMARTRA
The SMARTRA carries out communication with the built - in transponder in the ignition key. This wireless communication runs on RF (Radio frequency of 125 kHz). The SMARTRA is mounted at the ignition lock close to the antenna coil for RF transmission and receiving. The RF signal from the transponder, received by the antenna coil, is converted into messages for serial communication by the SMARTRA device. And, the received messages from the ECM are converted into an RF signal, which is transmitted to the transponder by the antenna.
The SMARTRA does not carry out the validity check of the transponder or the calculation of encryption algorithm. This device is only an advanced interface, which converts the RF data flow of the transponder into serial communication to the ECM and vice versa.

TRANSPONDER
(built-in keys)
The transponder has an advanced encryption algorithm. During the key teaching procedure, the transponder will be programmed with vehicle specific data. The vehicle specific data are written into the transponder memory. The write procedure is once only ; therefore, the contents of the transponder can never be modified or changed.

What a damn bunch of monkeying around!

Quote:
once again, right from webtech[body]1. Key Teaching Procedure

Key teaching must be done after replacing a defective ECM or when providing additional keys to the vehicle owner.

The procedure starts with an ECM request for vehicle specific data from the tester. The "virgin" ECM stores the vehicle specific data and the key teaching can be started. The "learnt" ECM compares the vehicle specific data from the tester with the stored data. If the data are correct, the teaching can procede.

If incorrect vehicle specific data have been sent to the ECM three times, the ECM will reject the request of key teaching for one hour. This time cannot be reduced by disconnecting the battery or any other manipulation. After reconnecting the battery, the timer starts again for one hour.

The key teaching is done by ignition on with the key and additional tester commands. The ECM stores the relevant data in the EEPROM and in the transponder. Then the ECM runs the authentication required for confirmation of the teaching process. The successful programming is then confirmed by a message to the tester.

If the key is already known to the ECM from a previous teaching, the authentication will be accepted and the EEPROM data are updated. There is no changed transponder content (this is impossible for a learnt transponder).

The attempt to repeatedly teach a key, which has been taught already during the same teaching cycle, is recognized by the ECM. This rejects the key and a message is sent to the tester.

The ECM rejects invalid keys, which are presented for teaching. A message is sent to the tester. The key can be invalid due to faults in the transponder or other reasons, which result from unsuccessful programming of data. If the ECM detects different authenticators of a transponder and an ECM, the key is considered to be invalid.

The maximum number of taught keys is 4.

If an error occurs during the Immobilizer Service Menu, the ECM status remains unchanged and a specific fault code is stored.

If the ECM status and the key status do not match for teaching of keys, the tester procedure will be stopped and a specific fault code will be stored at ECM.

2. User Password Teaching Procedure

The user password for limp home is taught at the service station. The owner of the vehicle can select a number with four digits.

User password teaching is only accepted by a "learnt" ECM. Before first teaching of user password to an ECM, the status of the password is "virgin". No limp home function is possible.

The teaching is started by ignition on, with a valid key and sending the user password by tester. After successful teaching, the status of the user password changes from "virgin" to "learnt".

The learnt user password can also be changed. This can be done if the user password status is "learnt" and the tester sends authorization of access, either the old user password or the vehicle specific data. After correct authorization, the ECM requests the new user password. The status remains "learnt" and the new user password will be valid for the next limp home mode.

If incorrect user passwords or wrong vehicle specific data have been sent to the ECM three times, the ECM will reject the request to change the password for one hour. This time cannot be reduced by disconnecting the battery or any other actions. After reconnecting the battery, the timer starts again for one hour.

The user password can be in the status

00. Not yet checked

The status is stored in the EEPROM. In case of incorrect or no plausible data from this circuit, the ECM cannot check the status and the ECM sends 00.

01. Learnt

The password has been taught successfully to the ECM.

02. Virgin

This is the status at the end of the ECM production line before delivery to the final customer.

04. Locked by timer

After a certain number of incorrect inputs, the ECM is locked for one hour and no inputs are accepted during this time.

05. Teaching not accepted

This status is set if, for example, the ECM is in neutral status.[/body]

LIMP HOME FUNCTION

well, if you're a wiring genius, you can wire it to limp everywhere...that'll get you to work at least.
Quote:
more from the hyundai geniuses[body]1. By tester

If the ECM detects a fault of SMARTRA or transponder, the ECM will allow limp home function of immobilizer. Limp home is only possible if the user password (4 digits) has been given to the ECM before. This password can be selected by the vehicle owner and is programmed at the service station.

The ECM informs the driver about the limp home condition by blinking the immobilizer indicator. Then the user password can be sent to the ECM via the special tester menu.

Only if the ECM is in status "learnt" and the user password status is "learnt" and the user password is correct will the ECM be unlocked for a period of time (30 sec.). The engine can only be started during this time. After the time has elapsed, engine start is not possible.

If the wrong user password is sent, the ECM will reject the request of limp home for one hour. Disconnecting the battery or other actions cannot reduce this time. After connecting of battery to ECM, the timer starts again for one hour.

2. By ignition key

The limp home can be activated also by the ignition key. The ECM informs the driver by blinking the immobilizer indicator for the limp home condition. Then the user password can be input to ECM can be done by special sequence of ignition on/off.

Only if the ECM is in status "learnt" and the user password status is "learnt" and the user password is correct will the ECM be unlocked for a period of time (30 sec.). The engine can be started during this time. After the time has elapsed, engine start is not possible. After a new password has been input the timer (30 sec.) start again.

After ignition off the ECM is locked (If timer 8 sec. is elapsed). For next start the input of user password is requested again.

REPLACEMENT OF ECM AND SMARTRA

In case of a defective ECM, the unit has to be replaced by "virgin" or "neutral" ECM. All keys have to be programmed into the new ECM. Keys, which are not programmed into ECM, are invalid for the new ECM. Refer to key teaching procedure . The vehicle specific data have to be left unchanged due to the unique programming of transponder.

In case of a defective SMARTRA, there is no special procedure required. A new SMARTRA device simply replaces the old one. There are no transponder - related data stored in this device.

NEUTRALISING OF ECM

The ECM can be set to the "neutral" status by a tester.

A valid ignition key is inserted and after ignition on is recorded, the ECM requests the vehicle specific data from the tester. The communication messages are described at " Neutral Mode". After successfully receiving the data, the ECM is neutralized.

The ECM remains locked. Neither the limp home mode nor the "twice ignition on" function is accepted by ECM.

The teaching of keys follows the procedure described for virgin ECM. The vehicle specific data have to be unchanged due to the unique programming of transponder. If data should be changed, new keys with virgin transponder are requested.
[/body]

My vote is for getting an ECU from an earlier model. Check with some salvage yard about swapping your 01 for an 00 or earlier model. You should be fine with even a tib ecu(if I'm using flawed logic) from the same year. The immobilizer wasn't listed in 01 for any car other than the elantra. Beg borrow or steal a tiburon unit, or an 00/earlier elantra unit.

[Edited by section-8 on Jul 17, 2003 6:07 PM]

Michael L. Luce
"I come to you with only karate, empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, right or wrong; then here are my weapons, KARATE, MY EMPTY HANDS."

Mr. Edmund K. Parker
post #5 of 6 Old 07-17-2003, 09:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to hootie

Quote:
Originally posted by bizzare
[body]
Well i got a fickin accent so now i just got a fucking pile of sh** in my drive way with a beta swap, that wont start. Now i dont have a ride to work, or anywhere for that matter, No money to put it back to stock, or to buy another engine, oh yea but i still got to pay 218 a month for it, not to mention the god damned tags that i have to buy cuz they expire this month.
[/body]
Why did you take on such a task for a vehicle that you need for daily use?

Slow 2 Cruise
[image]http://ourworld.cs.com/red97agt/sig/hootiesig.jpg[/image]
post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2003, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bizzare
(Thread Starter)

well i did the mistake of selling my civic right after thinking everything was ready.

Beta LC #1

Terrorizing suburban streets with open header burnouts since 2003.

Mexicano hasta la madre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Off-Topic Forums > Flame