LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 Old 02-04-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
dream 2007 (update 2010: progress)

hey,

i miss having a project car and have been dreaming up this idea. i feel pretty comfortable with the hyundai platform and would like to present this possible project for comment...

goal is close to 300hp, high 12s, low 13 quarter mile, 7k rpm redline, and a spread in some mag, turbo or sportcompact maybe. start to finish, i'm thinking it would take about $8500.

x3 hyundai accent coupe shell (rhd from australia would be mint, but not likely)
1.8l beta (built rods, pistons, slight overbore, 8.2-8.8:1 compression)
automatic trans (built by level10, possibly LSD)
p&p head, valves, etc
airram intake manifold, 61/68mm tb to match
phenolic intake manfold gasket
4-1 header
2 1/4" mandral exhaust
walbro 255 fuel pump
380cc injectors
remote location turbo (similar to STS, probably drivers side, inbetween bumper and spare tire well)
possible gt-28 (18psi-22psi)
2 1/2" housing to passengers side, some straight through muffler
2" i/c pipe to i/c
2 1/2" i/c pipe to TB
hks ssql bov
nitrous setup (would prefer direct port, but small of shot as possible, 50-60hp... motorcycle jets?)
tranny cooler
some sort of remote oil setup for the turbo in the back
180* thermo stat, half radiator if avail

unsure of cams and ecu (unable to find AEM stand alone for a tibby/elantra. would like something to maintain obd2 functionality. megasquirt?)

i'll post more later. i know it seems like i compiled a list of the most highend parts but... any thoughts or comments?

[sold]:
99 Accent - Beta Swap, Boost, & Juice
mods: 01 tibby wheels/rotors-front&rear/2.0L swap/ECU, b&m sts, T3 (5psi), turbosmart bov&ext.wg, walbro, 440cc, dtec fcbc, 2.5" catted exhaust

96 Accent SOHC auto
JDM T-25 @ 10psi, full 2.5" mandrel exhaust w/ cat, Spearco 23x6x3 FMIC, 2.5" I/C Pipe, HKS SSQV, Apexi S-AFCII

Last edited by Genericbob; 09-06-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 02-04-2007, 09:56 PM

ya pretty summed up what a turbo guru plan's for this project..

thinkin of defecting back to the crooked H eh?
good thing is X3's are super cheap these days..

i saw a x3 that was just traded in at a hyundai dealership and they said the car was worth $300..and it was a clean 5-speed too..

2001 Hyundai Accent 2.0
Hardened motor mounts
3A racing fartcan muffler axleback exhaust.
Halo 8000K HID Kit
Clear corner black housing Headlights
Ebay $2 short shifter
Kspec front and rear strut bars
SPC Camber Bolts
Zenn Lowered Springs
Current oil used:Mobil 1 10W-30
post #3 of 118 Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 AM

Would be a cool project. If you take time to do everything nice and clean, it could turn out awsome.

2001 Accent 2.0L - In Beta We Trust!
1992 Hyundai S-coupe- sold june 2005

post #4 of 118 Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
not necessarily defecting back to crooked h. the srt is my dream car, but i wont be doing heavy modding to it because of warranty. i do miss getting dirty though.

i've been thinking about this project a lot. i hacked my x3, but enough to learn the clean right way and the down and dirty way and i'd like a second shot.

i was wondering about getting some sort of sponsorship so maybe i'd just have to cover the shell and motor, but some of the bolt ons could be donated or had cheaper. i realize the car wont be worth much completed but i miss the modding. i got all kind of recognition for my x3 locally, even though it wasn't a superstar at the track.

right now i'm just trying to see what's possible, what kind of funds i can set aside and how long. also some of he missing details to complete the project, like the stand alone and the OBD2 functionality. i've forgot what is the better candidate for the beta swap 95-97 or 97-99 so i'll have to do a bit more research. also with the remote turbo, it would allow me to build the engine and transplate it, then the nitrous, then piece together the turbo kit.

sheeit... i could buy two x3's, one daily driver and one project, and still be clear of car payments. oh well.

[sold]:
mods: 01 tibby wheels/rotors-front&rear/2.0L swap/ECU, b&m sts, T3 (5psi), turbosmart bov&ext.wg, walbro, 440cc, dtec fcbc, 2.5" catted exhaust

96 Accent SOHC auto
JDM T-25 @ 10psi, full 2.5" mandrel exhaust w/ cat, Spearco 23x6x3 FMIC, 2.5" I/C Pipe, HKS SSQV, Apexi S-AFCII
post #5 of 118 Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to omgbossis21
With those plans in mind you should be looking for upwards 400hp. 300hp pistons/rods will do the trick with a sweet turbo n/p Im awaiting my tax refund so i can get my dream turbo FINALLY!!! I just got my drag clutch/pressure plate in my car so be on the lookout soon for (finally) so vids/timeslips. Should be fun! I hope to see you indulge in some more hyundai as well!

scoupe pistons/shotpeened rods,tib TB/maf/ecu,UD crankpulley,rebalanced crank,p&p head(I/E side),removed PS/ac,t3 super 60 turbo,fmic,hks ssqv bov,emanage,innovate wideband (xd-1 gauge),apexi boost gauge,440cc ford injectors,malpassi rrfpr
post #6 of 118 Old 02-05-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hey, really think 400hp? i was thinking 130hp to start w/, + all bolt ons another +30hp, nitrous +50-60hp, then turbo 80hp. in a 1900-2100lb car. i'd love to figure out the ecu, i think that would be the most difficult thing. i'm gonna start frequenting the hybrid forum too for more info. will an auto even fit on a beta in an x3?

for speeds, i was hoping top speed around 140-150mph. 7k rpm red line. if i could find or fab a reverse manual valve body to shift the auto tranny on muh own.

the remote turbo think is going to be interesting to plan, i dunno how i'd be able to safely run that much I/C pipe back to the front of the car. thank goodness an x3 is real short.

if i can the plan down on paper, i may then approach a few vendors and see. i have no exterior plans for the car at the moment but i'm trying to stay at or under that budget. anybody know if somebody sells swap motor mounts already fabbed? off to the hybrid forum!

[sold]:

96 Accent SOHC auto
post #7 of 118 Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 PM

(i might be wrong about this) But I belive that the 97-99 1.5DOHC is the best candidate. I think Spikie said that a beta ecm will plug right into the accent harness.

2001 Accent 2.0L - In Beta We Trust!
1992 Hyundai S-coupe- sold june 2005
post #8 of 118 Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yep, you are correct on both counts. although there are two versions of the 97. like feb-97 is similar to 96 and after mar-97 is like 98. so a 98 is is then. i did have a... 96? beta ecm in my 96 x3. yup, plugged right in and ran. i didn't notice much difference in power increase, although i'm sure on an NA motor it would have some. i was hoping to increase redline with it but from what i saw that was not the case.

edit: didn't notice you said DOHC, mine was a SOHC and it still worked.

one other thing i would like to attempt in this project is a map conversion. i started on my x3 but did not have the correct map sensor, it was a 1.5bar sensor, i was hoping for a 3bar, so i abandonned that side project. it seems as though a lot of people are having success (omgboss, included) running their MAF sensor after the turbo so maybe that would resolve some tuning issues.

the mount fabbing and axel shortening are the two big parts. i don't feel comfortable doing either of those on my own, at the moment anyway.

also, i would like to stick w/ an automatic tranny and have it built, but if it can not be built to spec and will limit power, etc i may goto a built 5spd. auto tranny run nasty 0-60' at the track and at red lights without having 'driver mod', but i'd honestly do it more for consistancy and predictability.

[sold]:

96 Accent SOHC auto
post #9 of 118 Old 03-04-2007, 05:42 AM
BOR

Jason, do I understand right? you have pluged beta 1 ecu to a 1.5 sohc x3 from 1996 and it works (and no cel)?
If so, it means it is not neccessary to change wiring harness in '95-'96 to a newer one ('98-'99) when beta swap. WOW

sorry for off topic
greetings
Andrzej

Greetings from Poland!
post #10 of 118 Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hey, sorry for a long delay. yes, i plugged a '96 elantra dohc ecu into into my feb '96 accent sohc harness w/o issue. i did have a CEL but that was due to the rear oxygen sensor and lack of cat. issue. i think i still have the elantra ecu too. some day i will force feed a hyundai again...

[sold]:

96 Accent SOHC auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Technical Forums > Forced Induction and Nitrous Discussion