LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-03-2003, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to beppomarx
(Thread Starter)
Default rear end alignment, elantra

wtf so after we got done replacing the clutch we neeed to align the front end. i started at 8:30 this morning and adjusted to all hells end. i got the wheels aligned so it seemed, the steering wheel was straight but STILL the car pulls to the right no matter what i did. it confused the hell out of me until i thought of something and sure enough, i was correct.

the REAR wheels are out of alignment. sure enough i go check them and both rear tires point to the left of the car (the passenger side moreso). causing the car to drift around and pull to the right constantly.

but looking at the setup, there is nothing to adjust!!! how can this be corrected or is the only way to fit all new control arms??? none look bent or damaged but the tires sure arent straight...

any ideas guys?? uzzled:

reminiscing of my LC...

Quote:
Originally posted by solo-baric
[body]
Excellence in all we do. hopefully i pissed him off some more and that would be excellent.
[/body]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Banned

Default Re: rear end alignment, elantra

How are you aligning the car? with an alignment machine?

It sounds like you are doing it by eye, which is not a good idea
#3 Old 10-03-2003, 05:02 PM

(Thread Starter)

yeah ive been doing my alignment by eye since i got my camber bolts installed and they came loose 10 min after paying $60 for the alignment. and the transmission has been out so many times i just keep doing it myself by eye. after we put the steering rod and shock back together on his elantra the wheel was even more crooked than it was before (he was slighly out of align before and now it was almost 1/6 turn of the steering wheel off). i mean i got the front end to track straight and parallel but the RRwheel is probably like 3* out of whack. is there any way to adjust it???

and it may take 5-10 tries to get it right but it only takes like 90 seconds to jack up the front end and loosen the nut and screw the arm in or out, then you test driev it around the block and know wether you need to take it more or less, drive back into teh driveway with steering wheel straight and you will be able to look down the wall of the tire and see if it is aligned with the rear one. its really not as bad as one would assume, i am very certain that if i had an alignment check by a shop it would be at least within the 1 or 1.5* error sloppy service standards anyway.

i just am wondering about the rear end mang.

reminiscing of my LC...

Quote:
[body]
Excellence in all we do. hopefully i pissed him off some more and that would be excellent.
[/body]
#4 Old 10-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned

Well if you don't mind going through tires. Youc an get it close by eye but never near perfect. The problem with doing it by eye is that if you are off by just a bit you will get uneven tire wear.

as for the rear. Has the car ever been in an accident for you to suspect a bent control arm?
#5 Old 10-03-2003, 05:57 PM

(Thread Starter)

the way i drive, i just replace the tires every summer regardless of what i do. and i use my 13's in the winter with snows but they didnt wear down hardly at all last winter, except the one that blew all teh tread off of the belts :nervous:

well he is the second owner and got it from the dealership, he himself hasnt hit anything yet (which is surprising really) except for swiping a concrete block with his front bumper. but looking at the rear suspension with the car raised there is no visivle damage marks or anything bent at all.

so theres no way to adjust the rear toe at all? that sux... maybe one lonely weekend we can take the rear end apart totally and measure the arms for tolerance differences.

reminiscing of my LC...

Quote:
[body]
[/body]
#6 Old 10-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Banned

what year is the elantra. this is what it shows on webtech for a '01 elantra

REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT
TOE-IN

NOTE
Adjust the toe-in by turning the tie rod end of the rear suspension arm.

Left tie rod : Clockwise direction : ton-in

Right tie rod : Clockwise direction : toe-out

A variation of toe by a rotation of the tie rod : About 6mm (0.6°)

The cam bolt should be adjusted to a maximum of 90° left or right from the center position.

CAUTION
After adjusting the tie rod, tighten both nuts to the specified torque.

Specified torque :

50-60 Nm (500-600 kg.cm, 37-43 lb.ft)

#7 Old 10-03-2003, 06:43 PM

(Thread Starter)

sorry my bad its an 00. and theres no tie rods for adjustment but it would be interesting to comapre the lengths and connections of those rods and maybe they could fit on the 2000 because it does look similar its just a solid beam and no tie-rod.

hmmmm :rambo: thank you for the info bud

reminiscing of my LC...

Quote:
[body]
[/body]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > General Forums > Maintenance and Help