misfire #4 cylinder - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > General Forums > Maintenance and Help
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

HyundaiPerformance.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2004, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default misfire #4 cylinder

I had my car scanned. got codes p0123, p0304
#4cylinder misfire, tps.
usually if only 1 cylinder has bag compression, it means a bad exhaust valve. If 1 cylinder is misfiring, and it isnt plug wire,coil,plug,MAF, and it pops into my exhaust, and having just replaced a manifold of which its #4 runner cracked all around, I'm gonna assume its internal. or, a bad exhaust valve. So, do I basically need an engine job? Or is there hope?
oh, and my tps is bad. oohhh.:dead:
this misfire has been with me for over a year now.

[Edited by 1stgentibs on Mar 20, 2004 5:14 PM]
1stgentibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: misfire #4 cylinder

When were the wires and plugs last replaced? Check the gap on the plug first.

Tugger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I realize now why. check my other topic.

And I already said I changed the plugs/wires numerous times.:sleepy:
but thanks.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok guy so you said that you replaced your plug wires and spark plugs numerous times
and still have a misfire on cylinder #4 correct.there are a few things that can cuase
a misfire you just aliminated a couple of them.check for a bad or clogged injector,
check your timing,and a exhaust or intake valve that is not sealing properly.if you have
some valves that are not sealing properly you don't need a major engine job just
do a cylinder head job by replacing all that valves and the valve seals.8D
RICKJAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is your car burning oil or coolant?

Is your car blowing blue or white smoke at all? what about at startup when the car has been sitting for a while, and is cold?

When the car warms up, does the car stop mis-firing?

Please advise, so we can advise.

-Grimmy
grimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

it burns only oil. about a quart a week. it's more like a studder than a misfire, although it'll misfire. It really seems there isnt good flow. It"ll bog down at times at idle, and you know when the car settles at idle when the fan will come on? when mine is "getting ready" to have the fan turn on, it does it all rough and fvcked up. like its such a struggle. I checked the wires once again, played around w/the clutch some more, re-adjusted the shift cables, cleaned the TPS, MAF, AIT, IAC motor and alternator w/electric parts cleaner. the coil is basically new, both o2 sensors are new, I've cleaned the throttle body and IM w/ intake cleaner spray properly, I've put in Marvels Mystery Oil in or other brands every so often, so thats all kept up. I know its nothing w/ my fuel filter. I've also re-sealed the valve cover gasket once again.

Although I have yet to change the head gasket or any cooling parts, all but the fan are fine. I did change the water pump, but I dont see any relationship w/ it to my problem. All fluids except the oil are at level and have been since birth, i figure.

could it be the crank positioning sensor? or that whatchamacallit Bosch sensor on the front driver-side strut tower?
Could the bogged fan and idle be symptomatic of the problem at hand? Or, could it be that since I'm going through such a state in life that my car is just responding in its own way? Since I've been working out my problems and reinstill life into myself, could all my car need is a jolt of life? sounds silly, but what I know is that a car WILL and DOES adapt itself to its driver. And everytime I've bought a car, its been used. And everytime, something goes wrong. Personally, I believe this happens because its a shock to the cars system. Going from one specific driving style to another. Often somethings gonna give.
just a thought.:ermm:

Oh, and it'll misfire almost anytime I get on the gas, so you can imagine how embarrasing it is to drive around. And when I take off from a light or stop, or make a normal turn in 2nd gear, itll 'misfire' or something like that. its not as strong as I know it should be in normal operating standards. its not tight. its as if the exhaust is getting caught, then when its released its too much to flow smoothly through the pipes. so the pressure will have its way and 'pop' all through the exhaust. I'm theorising this:
Since I drive the car everyday and have for three years, I have an understanding because I pay attention. And what I feel with how it responds and so forth, that I step on the throttle, I get plenty of air. I know I'm getting proper fuel flow. But it seems when its time for the exhaust to exit, its getting caught up. which maybe in turn caused a misfire. not to mention an overly hot motor, as well as a previous cracked manifold. Its exploding, basically. Since so much pressure was building up for some reason, something had to give. An exhaust port, maybe? A leaky ring? mmmmmmmmmmm....
Or Maybe, just maybe the problems lay in the brand of spark plugs I'm using? Denso. I know that when I first put them in, the first set, that the car became hyper active. Maybe they fire too hot? Which might cause such an overabundance or overly collected exhaust? I deffinitly feel like everything is ok until its time to go, or exit. .....
Please feel free to respond while I try and find my spark plugs. But the thing is that I've switched them before. I have had ngk's in for some time in-between denso's, but not since changing my o2 sensors, header and other things....wouldnt hurt to try, right?
I'm hoping that, whatever's wrong CAN be mended by changing something relatively simple, unlike dropping in a new engine or a rebuild. Both of which cost a substantial amount of $$ I do not have, nor can I muster up anytime soon. All of my income pretty much needs to go to bills and a home. Life w/ my wife, you know? So KNOWING I cant really sacrifice my marraige for my car, I'm hoping that life will adjust itself. But I also cant buy another car, nor do I want to right now. I'd rather hold on to my Tib. She's much too sexy to walk away from. crazysexycool! 8D
Old 03-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to monkiehead

if its burning oil, its ur rings. some one may have run it into high rpms from which not intended. i blew a head gasket and rings before from racing a car. try using either a thicker oil or restore. a leak down test will prove rings over worn. if u want ur car to just know ur driving style disconnect the battery and open a door or two. it'll reset and learn what u have to teach it.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

so basically you yourself don't know how to explain the problem with your car first
you mention about a misfire and know it seems that it does not sound like a misfire
anymore how can any body help you with your problem if you are not explaining
yourself right.on your burning oil condition not necessarly it means that you have
bad rings but bad/worn valve seals will also cause that problem cause oil is leaking
inside your cumbustion chamber.
:|
RICKJAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm thinking it may be a ring as well.
I'm talking about more than just the computer. I mean, we all have our own way of controlling things. our own style. our own distinctive 'handling' and treatment of things that over enough time a car's whole self can come accustom to. from the way its turned or the way the gas pedal is pushed. basically levels of care and abuse. consiesce states of mind.........?
I'm gonna just hope that whatever internally that may be wrong will correct itself. cause if it doesnt, there is no way I myself w/out $$, time, space, or the proper tools can pull this off. And if I cant do it myself, then I'm shvt out o' luck! And I still have 3 years before its paid off, and before I can buy a new car and not worry. So its out of my hands. :disappointed:
miracle anyone?
Old 03-24-2004, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RICKJAMES
[body]
so basically you yourself don't know how to explain the problem with your car first
you mention about a misfire and know it seems that it does not sound like a misfire
anymore how can any body help you with your problem if you are not explaining
yourself right.on your burning oil condition not necessarly it means that you have
bad rings but bad/worn valve seals will also cause that problem cause oil is leaking
inside your cumbustion chamber.
:|
[/body]
well exactly how should I find my way??
read a book? dumbass.
I think and talk my way through it, cause thats how problems are solved.
but seeing how you think youre so smart, you probably already knew that.
I'm straightening out it all. sometimes it takes time and 100 attempts.
I've been working on my focus as I havent had any really in about, oh, most my life. But its really just one of my obstacles in life. although different from mosts everybodys, I'm sure if not everyones, its the who what when where why and how that are universal and what makes us all one. ????? or our own selves one. re-unite...?
whatever.. I'm working on it. But given all of my past and the time this is all taking to fix compared to how long it persisted, I'd say I'm doing pretty fvckin good!
If it even matters, I'm re-aligning myself top to bottom, inside and out in total because I've been fvcked up for far too long. So, even though I seem to be all over and not really zeroed in, its because I havent been dialed in for most my life and it takes time to learn and become reaquainted and reaccustomed to. Whipe the slate clean. re adapt.
I guess its just life. Am I getting too deep here?

But ANyway...aranoid:

[Edited by 1stgentibs on Mar 24, 2004 12:27 PM]

[Edited by 1stgentibs on Mar 24, 2004 12:31 PM]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > General Forums > Maintenance and Help