LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-29-2008, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Doesn't start when hot

Hi
My wife has a Feb 1995 Auto Lantra 1800 with the Mitsubishi motor in it. The car runs fine but sometimes will not start when hot. The car starts first time in the morning but if she drives it for more than 15 minutes and stops for some reason (usually the shops) the car will not start again. The car turns over fine but just will not fire up. If she opens the bonnet and leaves it for 20 - 60 minutes the car will then start. It seams to happen more often on hot days than on cooler days.

Is this a common problem with older Hyundai's. I was thinking of changing the coil as I would assume that was the problem, but I was quoted $300 for a new one so thought I'd ask here for advice before I spend my cash.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gavin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2008, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to O 16581 72452 5

I'm going to throw this out there, only use this as an idea of where to start and not a fix for your car.

Some cars have a safety feature when the thermometer senses the motor gets too hot the car will shut off and not start until it's become an acceptable temperature again. Your's might be faulty perhaps? Or does the car run hot?

'02 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro

'87 BMW 325is - T3/TO4E at 15psi (before tear down), stroker build in the works

'99 Hyundai Accent - The $500 beater
#3 Old 03-29-2008, 11:46 PM

(Thread Starter)

Car runs at normal temperature and has never had an overheating problem. I have driven the car for 4 hours at 100km per hour on a 38 degree day (approx 100 Fahrenheit) and had no trouble. I live in Perth Western Australia and temperatures here are always high.

Could the problem be a faulty temperature sensor? If so where would I find that on the motor?

Gavin
#4 Old 03-29-2008, 11:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to O 16581 72452 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield View Post
Car runs at normal temperature and has never had an overheating problem. I have driven the car for 4 hours at 100km per hour on a 38 degree day (approx 100 Fahrenheit) and had no trouble. I live in Perth Western Australia and temperatures here are always high.

Could the problem be a faulty temperature sensor? If so where would I find that on the motor?

Gavin
Finding that is up to you. :P I believe there's nore than one temperature sensor for your car though, one for the gauge, the rest for whatever else.

My BMW has 3-4 for whatever reason. =\ I removed two and nothing happened, haha.

'02 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro

'87 BMW 325is - T3/TO4E at 15psi (before tear down), stroker build in the works

'99 Hyundai Accent - The $500 beater
#5 Old 03-30-2008, 02:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to WytchDctr

Resistance goes up as things get hot. If it will turn over, but won't fire I would look into the coils/wires first.
#6 Old 05-10-2008, 12:38 AM

Default help with my car

i have a hyundai sonata 2.4l and i am having kind of the same problem, my car runs for a while then gets hot and stops. i canged my radiator and removed y thermostad to see if it made a difference but it didnt help. im thinking on checking a couple of sencers instead. but if any body could help with the problem i would appreciate.
#7 Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 AM

Thanks for comments I will have to wait again till dead cold. When you say it doesn't start, do you mean that the starter engages

Billionaire Gary Winnick generates success from fiber optics business.
#8 Old 05-19-2008, 04:05 AM

Question, is the engine light on? I had a eagle talon with a similar mitsu engine as yours along with similar issues. I didn't have any overheating problems, nor did the gague seem any different. Also, the check engine light never came on. Like your car, when it was hot outside after driving or if the engine was at operating temperature it would not restart unless the engine cooled properly. I didn't have this issue so much in the winter or if I drove in the morning when it was colder, or on short trips that didn't raise the temperature of the engine much... mainly the summer was the worst, having to spend 20-40 minutes letting it cool down. The car would act like it would start but the coolant switch was making the car flood. The car had a high gas smell when attempting to restart the motor when hot due to this. Once it cooled it started perfectly, and ran perfectly fine. It was just restarting while hot that was impossible.

My mechanic found the issue in less than 5 minutes saying it was somewhat common for the coolant switch to scale over due to cooling system neglect. The mechanic asked if I used tap water to fill the coolant system, which I did, and that in turn caused the minerals from the water to crust over the switch (along with my entire cooling system). That with 9 year old coolant and it being low helped to crust the switch over as well. A quick dip of the crusted over part of the switch in a household mineral remover (not the entire switch) and a coolant system flush (with comercial coolant system flush) fixed the issue and removed a LOT of mineral deposits too.

Basically, it cost me $15 in labor plus the cost of materials to flush and fill the cooling system (and a case of beer for not screwing me over, which he could have easily).

Hope that helps..

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > General Forums > Maintenance and Help