2004 Elantra timing belt /waterpump pix - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-01-2008, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to greatwhiteshark
(Thread Starter)
Default 2004 Elantra timing belt /waterpump pix

Ok so after looking on here and not seeing any DIY's on here for this I decided to post up some pix of my timing belt and waterpump install. I originally went in to just do timing belt but the water pump was leaking so it needed that as well......
1. I took off passenger side front wheel and put car on jackstand....
2.took engine cover off and remove all accessory belts....found the A/c belt had cracks in it so I replaced it as well...remover upper timming cover...on the crank there is a mark line the mark up with the letter T on the timing gage located on the lower timing chain cover....remove the water pump pully...

3. Unbolted power sterring pump and flipped it asside..left the lines attached no need to undo them it only makes a mess there is more then enough room to work around it. Placed pumpjack under engine on oil pan to hold engine up and removed motor mount bracket.

4. dissconnected cooling fan's....

5. Unbclipped coolent over flow so I could get to adjuster boolt on alternator...

6. Un bolted top bracket for alternator and swung alternator out of way did not have to take off car,removed crank pully and engine covers, removed tensioner for timing belt, and timing belt.

7.Drained coolent and removed waterpump and cleaned gasket surface on engine block...this was a major pain because its a paper style gasket and it came of in pieces...

8. Cleaned mating surface with a clean dry cloth and installed water pump, alternator bracket, and alternantor

9. Install motor mount bracket...
10.Make sure timing marks in place...2 on cam have to be parrallel to seem on valve cover and head. there is also a tiny hole in sprocket that is a sight for a mark on head. make sure the the words up can be read on sprocket..

there is also a mark on crank spocket that lines up with mark on block..
left side of sprocket....

11. install belt make sure that it is looser on side where tensioner is and not on the side where idler is at because you timing will go off it will pull upper cam off by 2 teeth or more....thread crank pully bolt on and rotate engine twice and check that you marks are still on....
12. Install motor mount bracket that attaches to mount on body of car..install alternator back to it bracket....
13.Add coolent check for leaks....while coolent is settling in install power steering pump...
14.If no leaks install lower timimg cover and crank pully plug in cooling fans.
15.In this order install A/C belt and addjust to correct tension, install powerstering belt adjust to correct tension, lastly install alt/waterpump belt and adjust to correct tension.
16 Leave upper timing belt cover off and start engine check to see that timing belt isn't walking off pully if not then it is ok.

17.Place blower to second highest fan speed and put heat on max run car with radiator cap off and add coolent run till the cooling fans kick on twice and top off coolent...add a little extra to the over flow and reconnect over flow.
18.Install cap and right front lower engine cover in wheel well and right front wheel. Remove pump jack from motor as well.
19.Lower vehicle let it run on ground and check for any leaks run for 2 additional cooling fan cycles let it cool and top off coolent in over flow.
20.Run vehicle and warm up (2 coooling fan cycles) and check for CELL's and leaks if nothing then install upper timing cover and engine cover.
21. If you have a cell and engine is running rough then your timing is off take it apart and recheck everything....(hope you have a scan tool or know someone that does to read/clear codes....)

Last edited by greatwhiteshark; 06-01-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM

(Thread Starter)

bump...........

My cars:
2004 Elantra GLS
2006 Civic Si
1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer
#3 Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 AM

(Thread Starter)

wow nice to see that not one person commented on this......lol

My cars:
2004 Elantra GLS
2006 Civic Si
1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer
#4 Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 AM

My first post and just wanted to say, this is an excellent write-up!!!
Appreciate you taking the time to do this.

I am going to be changing the belt on my car, and even though year is different, this has helped...a lot!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > General Forums > Maintenance and Help