Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

03 Elantra Race Car

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  SIERRA117 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, so Ive been searching quite find the answer I'm looking for. I run an 03 Elantra GLS at a local short track in the stock division. I have an 04 Elantra gt as a parts car as the RF wheel is basically in the passenger door. I'm looking to get a little more pep out of the car. I cant keep up with the guys running say 95 maximas and newer altimas theyrepushing 180-190hp and only a few hundred lbs heavier. I have really only removed cat and straight piped out the side we cant run headers. Ive replaced spark plus with some NGK coppers, I have already had to do a clutch so I just threw in a cheapo ebay race clutch, don't recall the brand. While I was at it I also machined 2.2lbs off back outer ring of my flywheel. This has I helped some but not as much rpm gain as I was looking for. So I may have to resort to going to a smaller tire. But the big question I have is can I swap the 04 gt head onto the gls? The 04 gt has the vvt and the 03 gls does not but the head is casted with the spot for the solenoid just not drilled out. I was thinking of having the 04 gt head shaved to bump up compression while running a race fuel mix and just putting the vvt solenoid in just to fill the hole. Will this work and can I use the non vvt cams in the vvt head? Sorry I don't have much experience with these hyundais and haven't quite found my answer. I'm just looking for a low cost way to bump up my hp easily because the car could be a total loss at any given point. Any one know how much I can shave off the head? Also got a video of the car in action from a go pro on a guy with a neon, don't catch up to him until 7:30 but I do manage to stay in front of him until the finish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6of8fBnbw if anyones interested . Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated sorry for the long post/rant.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.