Auto to 5-speed swap on my 97 Tiburon COMPLETED!!!!! - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-31-2002, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Auto to 5-speed swap on my 97 Tiburon COMPLETED!!!!!

I just got done making my auto into a 5-speed. For anyone who is thinking of doing such a swap or for anyone who wants to do it. It is a MUST for you to do it. The difference is like night and day. You have ALOT more control of your car, the power is sweet because now I control the rpm's, you get to shed ALOT of weight because just the auto tranny alone weigh 138lb's the manual is 91lb's not including all the other stuff you have to take out.

The install was VERY EASY me and a buddy of mine did the work to save $ on labor. I called places to see what they would charge me I got quotes from 1000 to 1500 on just labor:??::disappointed: Hyundai made tin plates all over the car so when I got my parts I could see where they would go so the car is already set up you just need the parts.

Now for the hard part of the install :depressed: mounting the shifter to the car itself tricky, getting the auto tranny out because it weighs alot, key lock system so you can take the key out there's a black box under the dash that you HAVE TO take out, Getting reverse lights there's a wire harness that goes from the fuse box under the hood to the tranny with ALOT of wires just do process of elimination and install the harness to the fuse box but MAKE SURE you have the right wires going to the fuse box.

Total time of the install, lets just say if me and my friend had no lives and worked on my car all day and night with no girlfriends to satisfy:: with only 6 hours of sleep and no jobs with out eating it would have taken us about 4 days to do.

I saved the best for last the grand total cost to me for the whole job is $943.74 I added to the very last penny. Not bad for two guys that are NOT mechanics:smoking:

If you have any questions or comments post them

FORD stands for: Fix Or Repair Daily :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2002, 05:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kemper
Default Re: Auto to 5-speed swap on my 97 Tiburon COMPLETED!!!!!

Sweet! Good work man... good to hear your enjoying it and not telling a horror story!
#3 Old 12-31-2002, 11:53 AM

Good Job. I found the same thing when I converted my Audi over... You should make a detailed explanation on how to do it (photos help too) and publish it someplace on the web.

Driving in Ohio blows.
#4 Old 01-01-2003, 03:57 PM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks guys, hey Tugger5000 that's a good idea I'll do just that

[Edited by shogun on Jan 1, 2003 12:58 PM]

FORD stands for: Fix Or Repair Daily :-)
#5 Old 01-01-2003, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mach5

yes please do that, i'm gonna do mine in the spring :nervous:

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS
1991 Ford Taurus aka "shaggin wagon"
#6 Old 01-02-2003, 11:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Blacktibs

I just read the post and have not been on HP for a couple days. Alright I have a huge interest in your thread because.... Today I bought a 5 speed tranny and everything for the job, but the only difference is while I'm down there I'll be switching over to non captive rotor setup and dropping in a Beta 1 with only 10,000 miles on it. Man I want to do the job myself (with help), but damn unless Jaws and maybe even Random (if he's interested) helped with the swap, I'd feel lost.
#7 Old 01-03-2003, 12:30 AM

Don't get discouraged... The actual work is the easy part.... Making sure you have all the right information is the hard part.

When I converted my Audi, I put the question out to the listserv I was part of. Over a period of 2 months and about 13 email responses, I had enough information to put it together...

I documented it here: http://www.angelfire.com/ct/tugger/TranConv.html

You can do it better by including photos... they will help alot.

Driving in Ohio blows.
#8 Old 01-03-2003, 05:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to spikie

it would be really cool if u can could do a detailed explanation with picture. I am looking for the parts for my accent right now... have a motor and tranny with 45k and also found another parts car, a 96accent for $1000CAN (which is what they wanted for just the tranny and all the part's i'd need) which i can get everything else off of. I will be doing the swap in april or may when i get out of school for the summer...

05 Durango SLT Adventurer 5.7 HEMI - yeah it's got a HEMI (15.440 @ 88.79mph Bone Stock)

97 Accent GT (2.0L Sleeper) Still Parked for winter as of 29/06/07!
2.0L Beta Engine w/ I/H/E, Plugs, Wires, Msd Dis-2, Lightweight Flywheel, Ported IM, Cutsom moddified 65mm BBTB, Strut Bar, Front Tib Brake Upgrade
#9 Old 01-04-2003, 11:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Moto-x-Red

if anything guys shadohh will be doing a auto-manual swap on my 99 tib this summer..so if there is no one who has made a DIY guide with pics for this then me and shadohh will prob hop on it...I think i'm heading out his way in PA in early march or may...I can't wait for the swap...driving my auto car is killing me when it comes to taking it at the track...laterz

Forever your Florida hero!!!(formerly Midwest hero)
#10 Old 01-04-2003, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Blacktibs

Well since I might start my swap today I'll definitely take pics of every major step along the way. Plus I'll take pics of the beta swap, Dash swap, brake swap, and intake installation. Talk about excited. Sh!t I drive an auto with no performance mods (as of yet), a burned out auto trans, and a beat up 75K beta. I'm basically making a new car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Technical Forums > NA Tuning and Hybrid Forum