Swap Grocery List - X3 Accent with 2.0L Beta engine - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 Old 02-18-2003, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Rudy
(Thread Starter)
Swap Grocery List - X3 Accent with 2.0L Beta engine

Ok here is the swap grocery list for everyone that wants to swap a 2.0 engine into their 1995-1999 accents.

Engine
-2.0L or 1.8L Beta Engine from a tiburon or elantra
1997-2001 tiburon has beta1 2.0L or 1.8L engine
2.0L 135hp (revised)
1.8L 135hp (unrevised)

The Brain
-ECU that correspsonds with the engine you get. You may also opt to use a piggyback system on your accent ecu for tuning. this will save wiring hassles but will add to tuning problems. in the future there should be a few swap computers available and/or pre-tuned piggybacks systems, but as for now you have to improvise.

Tranny
-depending on what you wish to do with the car depends on which tranny you should use. it is possible to match your stock accent tranny up to a beta engine but keep the following in mind. if you are building a daily driver i suggest you take the tib tranny, you will be happier for everyday driving/wear and tear. also if you have big power plans stick with the beta tranny, it will take alot better to the ebating that would be in store for it. if you are going to use the car for autocrossing go for the accent tranny, it will wind out quicker (shorter gearing) and you will have a little more power on tap for those short spurts of acceleration. with the accent tranny you will knock approximatley .02 seconds off of your 1320. i prefer the beta tranny either way however.

Mounts
-the question everyone always asks about, "what about mounts?". well the passenger side mount is the headache. it will need to be redone by a professional. also if you switch out the tranny for the tib tranny you will need to get a new tranny mount.

Axles
-tiburon axles are to be used, but they will need to be shortened to fit onto your accent.

Other Tidbits
-power steering can be retained but you will need a custom bracket made to mount up the reservoir and some tubes may need to be rerun.

-the passenger side fan will need to be removed to allow room for the beta exhaust manifold to properly fit in. this is also part of the reason the a/c has to go.

-to my knowledge air conditioning will not be an option with the swap, sorry guys.

-as with a swap on any car you may need custom exhaust piping made for everything underneath to the cat to fit properly.

-if you wish to have a front strut bar you have to buy one that has a raised section in the middle to allow clearance over the intake manifold. i suggest the king motorsports bar.

-for a catback exhaust system i suggest 2.25 -2.5" for a n/a setup. of course you will want bigger piping for a boosted application.

Prices
engine tranny and ecu you can find for around $1000 USD anything over that i wouldn't pay.
expect to pay anywhere between $2000-3000 USD for the full swap including materials.

one day a kit will be available but for now good luck :

1999 BMW 328ic
pimpin the convertible for now.

"Crabcakes and football. That's what Maryland does!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 02-25-2003, 12:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to stickshift
Re: Swap Grocery List - X3 Accent with 2.0L Beta engine

Rudy, how about mentioning some info about the front brake swap that I believe you and at least one other Beta-swapper did?
I think you need the front rotors, calipers, hub/bearing assemblies and hub-to-strut knuckles from a 96-2001 Tiburon or Elantra in order to upgrade your x3 Accent's brakes to the larger ones that came from the same car as the new motor.
As a note, if you wish to do this, you also need AT LEAST 14" wheels, as the RD Tibby/ 96-01 Elantra brakes won't fit behind the x3's base 13" wheels.
As well, getting the brake hardware from a 2000-01 model will also allow you to eliminate the bane of all x3 tuners, the dreaded captive rotors!
Rudy or a moderator: please add to or edit this as needed.

[Edited by stickshift on Feb 25, 2003 7:18 PM]

Automotive journalism ninja
post #3 of 81 Old 02-25-2003, 08:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to J@WS 01

I was wondering if you are able to use the pressure plate from the tiburon. when you use a tibb engine and a accent transmission. I noticed rudy u said that the tibb axels have to be shortened when doing the beta swap but im not sure where exactly it has to be. I think its probably the inner part of the axels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 81 Old 03-08-2003, 05:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to leftside_ryder

won't most people need drive/timing belts, spark wires, and reservoirs also?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Mario Andretti.
post #5 of 81 Old 03-09-2003, 07:11 PM

will the accent axels be stong enough if used with the accent tranny?
post #6 of 81 Old 03-09-2003, 08:45 PM

Also, will the Accent wiring harness connect to the beta ECM and sesors, or should I scarf as much of the Beta harness from the donor car as possible?
I should also add that the donor has an automatic tranny, will switching to 5 spd affect the ECM? There was some mention of "piggy-backing" the Accent ECM, what is this and how is it done?

[Edited by dwyerhilldeluxe on Mar 9, 2003 5:56 PM]
post #7 of 81 Old 03-10-2003, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Rudy
(Thread Starter)

yes you will have to replace belts and what not, i kind of figured people would know that lol.

yes you can use the accent axles if you run the accent tranny. and yes the wiring will be somewhat difficult when using the tibby ecu. i don't know much about using the tibby ecu though so i can't provide a diagram.

as for piggy backing, it would entail using a seperate computer that would tune certain things such as air and fuel and what not but retaining the stock accent ecu.

1999 BMW 328ic
pimpin the convertible for now.

"Crabcakes and football. That's what Maryland does!"
post #8 of 81 Old 03-14-2003, 03:29 PM

Accent tranny will not direct bolt to it. the flywheel and stuff neeeded to do this are not available in the USA.
Axles tib axles require shortened both sides
mounts you have to make all them !
ECU / wiring, up in the air (after 3 of these so far I am finding more info on the ecu's and will know more soon) right now use a piggy back
fit very tight
A/C Nope !
Exhaust ( custom has to be need to remove front cat from the tib motor and custom bend pipe flex pipe etx and leave cat where it is on stock accent)
tranny USE the TIB one
brakes , full swap form a 00 - 01 tiburon knuckles,disks, calipers, etc etc etc.

Rudy is the about the best one for a list so far.

I have done it and an doing another one now and I got 4 or 5 more lined up for the summer I know the details of them. as for the other 50 people that seem to know everything about it Show me the car running and driving then we will talk becuase 90% of you guys giving info out on a swap have no CLUE. and 5% more on top of that can't even make my damn cheeseburger right when i go in the drive thu!

Thank You
Have A Nice Day
If You Don't Know Keep Your Mouth Shut

I'm sure I'll get banned or at least my citizen rating dropped for that one !!!

KORE Motorsports
post #9 of 81 Old 03-14-2003, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to skierd

Its cool with me, the less misinformation we have floating around the better.

Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time.

2008 yamaha WR250R - no car, no worries

1998 Accent L - #13 FSP SCCA Solo2 in 2005, SOLD

2001 Accent GS - RIP
post #10 of 81 Old 03-20-2003, 09:53 PM

You should go for the tib tranny because you will have problems with the tranny in the long run the flywheel differs from the accents i know because here in Puerto Rico that is the craze. and yes you can keep the ac . :bandit:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Technical Forums > NA Tuning and Hybrid Forum