LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 Old 03-10-2003, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to EE_Chris
(Thread Starter)
Basic Hyundai/Swap information

Hello everyone! Iíve been in the Honda camp for some time now, performing swaps and doing engine builds, and have become interested in the Hyundai as a new platform for a project.

From the reading that Iíve done, it seems the Accent/Excel/Elantra are the preferred chassisí for swappingÖ.true/false?

What Iíd first like to learn about, are the different chassis and engine codes used for various model years of the above platforms. Iíve seen codes such as X3, Alpha, Beta and Delta thrown around, and though the last 3 are engine codes, or rather, engines that Hyundai designed, I do not know to what models they belong. Iíve also seen that X3 is used for some Excelís and Accentís, so what does X3 really refer to?

I know a little bit about Mitsu motors, but how do you decode their lettering/number scheme? Iíve seen that the 4G15 is a 1.5l SOHC 8 valve used in the 89-92 Excelís, but obviously the 4G63 is not a 6.3l, but I do know that was the predominate motor in the DSMís.

What is the general consensus on swapping, if the motor was originally a Mistu, any Mitsu will swap in (same goes for Hyundaiís engines) or can you swap in an earlier model Mistu into the later generation Hyundaiís, or vice-versa?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 03-10-2003, 12:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to stickshift
Re: Basic Hyundai/Swap information

Hi there...

I'm not exactly a motor swap expert, but I can fill in a few of the blanks for you.

First off, x3 is the platform code for the 1995-99 Accent. (In Australia, this car was still called the Excel, just so you know... they didn't adopt the Accent name until the 2000 model year). x1 refers to 86-89 Excels and x2 is the chassis code for 90-94 Excels.

The platform code for the 2000- current Accents is LC.

Alpha is the code name for the Accent's motor. It was actually first used in the 1993-95 Scoupe, and starting in 1995, was used inthe Accent.

The Beta is the 1.8 and 2.0 litre used in the 96-present Elantras and 4-cyl Tiburons.

The Delta is the 2.7 V6 used in the Sonata and the 3rd gen V6 Tiburon.

As far as motor swaps go, several people have swapped Betas into Accents.

The Excel, and earlier Elantras (92-95) are Mitsubishi based cars. The Excel came stock with the 4g15, and I can't recall the motor code for the Elantra... I know they came with a 1.6 or a 1.8, depending on trim.

The 4g63 is the motor code for the 2.0 litre that was used in the Talon/Eclipse/Laser/Galant/2000GTX. It came either as a N/A motor with 140 hp, or as a turbo motor with 190-200 hp. The N/A motor is referred to as the 4g63, and turbos are known as 4g63t.

The 4g63 can be swapped into the Excel and early Elantras as well as into earlier Sonatas.

Generally, swapping a Mitsu motor into a newer Hyundai or vice versa isn't really worth it, for a number of reasons.

The Mistu motors were oriented differently in the engine bay, with the motor on the driver's side, and the tranny on the passenger side. Hyundai's newer, homegrown, engines were reversed from that, with the motor on the passenger side and the tranny on the driver's side. That makes it more worthwhile to keep the Mitsu motor swaps limited to older Hyundais, as they don't require as much custom work for the motor to fit properly.

As well, as far as Accent swaps go, the Beta is a perfect candidate... it gives a significant power increase, even if you leave it N/A; it requires little custom work to make it fit; and even though the Beta has never been sold as a turbo motor (unlike the 4g63), the Beta is a tough motor, with a strong block, and can be turboed reliably.

If I were you, I would buy an x3 Accent, (so far, I think there have been many more x3 Beta swaps than there have been with the newer LC) and find a good quality Beta motor (they can be found on e-bay fairly regularly) and do that swap. The Beta can be swapped in with the Beta transmission OR it can be used with the Accent transmission too, if you prefer.

Many other Tiburon/Elantra piece fit the x3 Accent too... the front brakes are one example I can think of right now.

That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge as far as this goes... I now open the floor to other members... particularly Rudy and 99mini, two members who have done the swap successfully. Due to an accident, Rudy's car was sadly written off shortly after his swap was done (it was a sad day here when we found out), but as far as I know, 99mini's car is still going strong. I'm sure they, and others (TurboHyundai, who has a GORGEOUS older Sonata with a 4g63t) will be able to offer some advice.

[Edited by stickshift on Mar 10, 2003 9:12 AM]

Automotive journalism ninja
post #3 of 108 Old 03-10-2003, 03:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rudy

wow, chris you pretty much covered it all i can't really think of anything other than:

2000-20002 accents are LC's and 2003+ are LC2.

GK is the chassis code for 2003+ Tiburons

RD is for 1997-2001 Tiburons.

Early elantras are known as J1 and J2 respectively. the 2001+ Elantra's are XD

The newer Tiburon's and elantra's have beta2 engines which have a different cam profile.

any other questions feel free to ask. i'll make this post sticky.

1999 BMW 328ic
pimpin the convertible for now.

"Crabcakes and football. That's what Maryland does!"

post #4 of 108 Old 03-11-2003, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to EE_Chris
(Thread Starter)

Excellent information - Thanks a lot.

So it would seem the Beta1 engine from the 97-01 Tiburons into a 95-99 X3 Accent is the hot ticket, and now after re-reading the Grocery List thread ( http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ic.php?t=21181 ) it makes a lot more sense.

So now, where can I find engine information on the Beta1, such as cam profiles, bore, stroke, rod length, compression ratio, open/closed deck....that sort of thing?

EDIT: Found it at ( http://www.hmaservice.com ). What a gem that site is!

Can these engines be procured through the dealership at a 'relatively' low cost, under 5k or so? I'm not really a big e-bay fan.

And a Q about the axle and tranny mount situation: I've never shortened axles before (but am technically/mechanically inclined), is there a how-to somewhere detailing this, or this there a totally stock alternative? As far as the mounts go, you say one will have to be professionally done, what do you mean by that? And as far as the tranny mount goes when using a Tiburon tranny, is this a stock piece, or another professional piece?

EDIT 2nd: According to this thread ( http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ic.php?t=20565 ) it would seem that using the Accent tranny allows use of the Accent axles as well, however, one thing they make mention of are the mounts, and that it seems the 97-99 are better candidates than the 95-96.

What other little odd-n-ends are there between the 95-99 Accents that would make one model year (or range) better suited to this Beta1 swap?

[Edited by EE_Chris on Mar 11, 2003 4:52 AM]

[Edited by EE_Chris on Mar 11, 2003 5:07 AM]
post #5 of 108 Old 03-11-2003, 11:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Turbowgn

Good to see you made it over to the Forums Welcome Aboard. I told you everyone would help you out in your quest.

Tim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

96 Hyundai Elantra Wagon with 445whp/356ft lbs @ 25psi
11.59@125 1/4Mile
post #6 of 108 Old 03-11-2003, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to stickshift

Here's 99mini's post about his Beta swap. It has a few photos detailing some of the engine mount issues in his car, and a good bit of info as well.

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ic.php?t=18061

Automotive journalism ninja
post #7 of 108 Old 03-27-2003, 10:27 AM

just to clear things up:

n/a eclipses are powered by a chrysler based 420A motor with a mitsu designed head(this is the motor found in the 95-99 neon but with a chrysler head)

the na 4cyl mitsu in hyundais is the 2.4l 4g64 this is the same motor in the eclipse spyder/chrysler sebring

as far as i know if they never brought a non turbo 4g63 over here and i may be wrong but i dont think tha exsists?

ps: what can be swapped into an x1 excel?

thanks
-robert
post #8 of 108 Old 03-31-2003, 03:10 AM

beta swap 1.8L
accent tranny
accent axels
pressure plate: scoupe turbo
clutch disc: scoupe turbo
no fan removed
next thing: instal a/c
computer: 2.0L from a elantra 2000
any doubts send me a e-mail at huyequetehinco@hotmail.com
i'm in PR.

:rambo::gasmask::evil::chinese::??:irate:

Beta Accent, to4 custom turbo kit, custom cams, microtech ltx-8 and some other good stuf
post #9 of 108 Old 03-31-2003, 11:02 AM
JLJ

Hello Guys:

This is my first time here and I woul pretty much be doing the engine swap for the Accent. I am thinking about buying a new accent tree door and preparing the car as strictly racing car in my country. What do you think about the three door model?

Thanks,
post #10 of 108 Old 03-31-2003, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rudy

if i'm not mistaken in that 3rd pic the fan is infact removed. nice job though.

1999 BMW 328ic
pimpin the convertible for now.

"Crabcakes and football. That's what Maryland does!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Technical Forums > NA Tuning and Hybrid Forum