User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default sticky gas pedal

Hi everyone. I'm new to this so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I have a 2007 Santa Fe and the gas pedal sticks. I have had it back to the dealership numerour times, but they can't seem to figure out what's wrong or find a way to fix it. Has anyone else had this difficulty? If so, did you find a way to solve the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM

I have a 2006 Tucson 5 speed with a similar problem. The gas pedal does not stick, but the RPMs do not drop quickly enough when shifting, in fact it seems they jump about 100 to 200 rpm. I have driven stick all my life, so I don't think I have my foot on the pedal while I am pressing the clutch. Bought this used just recently, so don't know if this was this way always. Dealer says this is normal, but it seems strange to me.
Any suggestions?
AlbaK
#3 Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 AM

(Thread Starter)
Default sticky gas pedal

My problem sounds a bit different than yours. When I step on the pedal, it doesn't go down smoothly; it sticks and then when it does go down, the car lurches forward. It is also difficult to adjust speed while driving without a jerky motion. My dealer has been trying to find a way to fix this to no avail. The latest attempt involved lubricating the throttle plate, which resulted in a slight improvement, but not enough to suit me. I'm taking it back to the dealership again this week. BTW, this is the 2nd Santa Fe with this problem that the dealership has had.
#4 Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 PM

I have the same problem. I haven't had it inspected though, but always suspected that something needed lubrication. 'Course, I'm not as sure about that anymore.
Related to that is when starting uphill (e. g. at traffic lights), the brake warning light comes on and stays lit for anywhere from five to 20 seconds. Doesn't have any other effects at all.
#5 Old 06-23-2008, 05:27 PM

ive been told that a dirty throttle valve will cause this problem

older excel and scoupes use to have this as well
#6 Old 06-23-2008, 05:41 PM

Interesting!

I've kept an eye on this problem - well, more like annoyance, as it doesn't seem to affect anything else - and learned that it doesn't matter whether I'm starting off uphill or not. As long as I step a wee bit too hard on the gas pedal (quite easy, considering how "sticky" it feels), the break light comes on, and doesn't go off until I hit the brakes again for a moment.

The pedal seems to give in at levels, particularly at take-off, rather than being smooth as on my VW Passat. I vaguely recall it felt the same way on my Sonata. Perhaps a common design flaw / fault in Hyundai mobiles?
#7 Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 AM

I have the same issue, but usually only the first time I use my car that day. If I lube the trottle plate and surroundings it takes care of it. Even with the car off, if I remove the intake hose and attempt to move the plate with my fingers I can feel it stick. Also adjusting the idle helps.
#8 Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM

This sounds like a problem I had with another car, a recently wrecked and unlamented Kia Sportage, only not as pronounced. After checking out the issue on a Sportage message board, I dedicated a Saturday to removing the throttle body, cleaning it with solvent and brushes, and using a Dremel to polish it. The improvement was noticeable.
#9 Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Default Some update...

The last couple of weeks, things only seem to be getting worse, per se.

I let the car cool down overnight, start it up in the morning, and the breaklight comes on instantly. Some times it goes off in a couple of seconds, some other times it doesn't until I've driven a bit and step really hard on the brakes.

If the engine is warm, the brake light doesn't come on unless I rev it up to 3K rpm when taking off (for the first couple of meters).

I wonder if the light is trying to tell me something... Everything's been checked recently, brake fluids, oils and what not. The gas pedal still has this "sticky" feeling to it.

What must be taken apart and cleaned, fixed or whatever, in order to get rid of this annoyance? :S
#10 Old 09-24-2008, 02:58 AM

On the brake warning light issue, check the thickness of the pads. As they wear, the caliper pistons travel farther in their bores and this means that they will contain more brake fluid. Where does it come from? The master cylinder, of course. As the fluid at low level sloshes in the reservoir, the low fluid level switch will close and open, making the light go on and off. Put a couple of ounces of brake fluid in it and see if the problem is affected. And if the pads are badly worn, replace them ASAP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Santa Fe and Tucson