Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Stalling problem

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  187sks 
#1 ·
This is my first post to the forums. I am on my third Sonata. I had a 1992 Sonata, then bought some various used vehicles. In 03 I bought an 00 Sonata from a small lot that had gotten it from an auction. Carfax revealed it used to be a rental car. I never really had any problems with that car except the timing chain/belt went out and caused some problems. I had that fixed, then about 7 mos ago, I started having transmission problems at about 120,000 miles. It was going to cost about $2,000 to have the tranny replaced so I decided to look for another car since I only paid $5400 for the car with about 55k miles on it. I liked the Sonata, so I decided to buy another used one. I also own a 2002 Kia Sedona. I have been happy with both brands.

I purchased an 06 Sonata on Sept 18th. It had about 16,000 miles on it. Carfax showed that this was a rental car also. About a week and half after I had it, it stalled on me while I was at a red light. It started back up after a couple of tries. About a mile down the road, I was doing about 55 and stalled again. I pulled it off the road and called Hyundai Roadside Assistance. In the time I had to wait on a tow truck, I kept trying the car because I was on a tight schedule. After about 20 minutes of trying, the car started again and I drove it about 10 more miles to my house and waited on the tow truck. This was a Friday evening. Saturday the service dept at the dealership I bought it (Hyundai dealership) claimed the problem was a throttle pedal sensor. They replaced it. Keep in mind, the car ran when I had it towed and they couldn’t get the problem to duplicate either. I picked it up Saturday afternoon. Then later that day, the car stalled on me a couple more times. I drove it for the rest of the day. The next day, it stalled again while I was getting on the freeway. I pulled off and called roadside assistance. Again, while waiting for the tow truck I continued to try and start it. This time, it was because it was HOT outside, and I wanted to run the A/C. Well, about 30 seconds before the tow truck pulled up, the car started back up. I had it towed back to the dealership. They gave me a loaner car. This time they had my car over a week. They said they couldn’t get the problem to duplicate again. On the second week, they said a tech was driving it and it stalled while he was pulling it back on the lot, but didn’t have anything hooked up to it, and by they time the hooked it up to a diagnostics computer, there were no codes to tell them what the problem was. Then a few days later, they said that they got codes that indicated the O2 sensors were bad, so they replaced them and said the problem was fixed. I picked the car up and the next morning, it wouldn’t start up. I kept trying because I had to get to work. After about 30 seconds, it started up and I drove to work. As I was getting off the freeway, it stalled again, but started up again right away. That evening I drove it back to the dealership to have them look at it again. Since they have had it this time, they said no codes and can’t get it to duplicate when they have diagnostics hooked up. I have owned the car a little over 4 weeks. I have had it my possession about 1 ½ weeks and they have had it the rest of the time. The dealership has a 3 day return policy and the owner of the lot was very rude and very unpleasant when the salesman tried to talk to him about getting me in a different vehicle. He told me my problem was with Hyundai and the service department at his dealership. So getting another car is out the question. Does anybody have any ideas about what might be causing this problem? I would like to give these techs some sort of direction because if the diagnostics PC doesn’t tell them exactly what is wrong, they are just scratching their heads.

On top of that, I am having problems with the rear defroster. Only about 3 of the lines work, and only about 5 inches of those lines work. They service mgr said something had been put on the window that removed the conducting material and there is too much missing to repair it. Its not warranted he said. It would require replacement of the back window ($400 part + who knows how much labor). That doesn’t sound right. I have had old cars with rear defrost, and tinted the windows. Then I removed the tint. I have never had a problem with the defroster. It just sounds like poor manufacturing to me, if you could stick something on the window to remove that much of the film. Does this sound right to you guys??????

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Regarding the rear defroster question...

I ran into that problem w/my old old old van... Someone had done a really bad tint job and removed the tint on the back window w/a razor blade... Scraping away a lot of the metal. Could be a lot of stuff bceause it's really thin and easy to remove.

howie~

#3 ·
I had something like this happen...

I have an 03 Sonata and was on the highway and it stalled. Started and ran for a few seconds and stalled again.

It turned out to be the crank sensor. It is defintly something stupid like that ... have the dealer check that and be assertive about it... all the sensors to be exact... there is input and output sensors for speed... give me a carburetor and a set of points and I can keep it running.

Chris

#4 ·
Update

They thought it was the throttle body. They replaced that, and there is still a problem with stalling. I contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs and got them involved. Then I got a call from a district mgr with Hyundai. He said a field service tech was coming down from Detroit (I am in Columbus, OH) to look at the car and NOW they think its the wiring harness that feeds the sensors. They are CONFIDENT this will fix the problem. Hyundai also offered to make a car payment for compensation for how long they have had my vehicle.

#5 ·
Sounds like they're working with you pretty fairly.

I was going to say it seems like a wiring issue or a semi-faulty sensor. I would need the book (or to spend a lot of time on HMA Service's site) to figure out which sensors will actually cause a shutdown of the engine, there should only be a couple. We know a fault causes shutdown and will not allow a restart. CKP (crankshaft position sensor) or CPS (camshaft position sensor) maybe? I'm having trouble thinking of anything else that might shut down the engine even if you're cruising at 55mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.