Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Crappy AM reception

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Draker 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 XG350 with a rear window antenna and the AM radio reception the worst I have ever experienced in an automobile - even worse that the time the antenna was broken off on another car. :crying:

I understand that this is a common problem -- The car does not have aftermarket tinted glass. :mad:

I checked the connections at the amplifier on the C pillar and confirmed that it is powered. I don't want to begin pulling the dash apart so I tried grounding the chassis of the CD deck and it did nothing to help. Next I will pull the C pillar apart again and see if grounding the outside of the antenna lead helps.

In the meantime I am looking at maybe getting an amplified shark tail antenna and putting it on the trunk lid. I am hoping I can get the power from the current amplifier and connect the antenna to the lead in the C pillar so I don't have to make a mess of the interior, etc. I am currently looking at a Metra 44-UA44 and a Kenson KSA-150B

Has anyone had experience with either of these or found a fix that works??

#2 ·
It looks as if there are very few DIY Hyundai people out there. Most of the other automobile forums I visit are busy. Even the lowly Mercury sable forum is more active that this.
OH well -- As an update I have not found a solution- I tried a non amplified antenna that was in my garage and it didn't help either going thru the amplifier or bypassing it.

The only thing that seemed to work was that it got better when I had my hand on the antenna. I don't intend on running a wire to the drivers seat so I can play touchy feely to get good AM reception.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.