LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-07-2003, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skierd
(Thread Starter)
Default How to replace your struts

This is specific to the LC accent (2000-2002), but should be the same for most hyundai's and macpherson strut cars. Your tools, time, and fenderwells will vary. 8) Oh yeah,and if you mess up your car by trying this its on you.

First things first, this is not very hard to do. It is time consuming, frustrating, and requires lots of elbow grease with WD40, but it can be done in about 2-3 hours if you work quickly. It took me about 6 hours. Special thanks to shadohh for letting me use his driveway (despite the snow it was about 60 out), his garage, some of his tools, and manpower.

To install struts, you will need at least the following: Spring compressor, jack, jack stands, 2 rachet and socket sets (metric sockets up 19 or 21mm, cant remember) or 1 set with a set of metric wrenches, and some time. Gloves are very nice to have as well, since the fenderwell gets pretty nasty.

Ok, first thing you gotta do is raise the car up off the ground. If you're doing all 4 struts (as you should be), you might as well get the whole car off the ground and rotate the tires while you're there since the tires need to come off anyways. The hood will be need to be open, as will the hatch, so roll down the windows and play some music while you work.

Time to start unbolting stuff. Up in the engine bay/under the rear speaker grills are the strut tower mounts. Undo all three nuts with a 12mm socket. The front passenger strut tower has 4 bolts, 3 for the strut and 1 for the acceleration sensor thats a 10mm.

Now that the car is up in the air, take a look inside the fenderwell at the strut assembly.

The two bolts at the bottom of the strut body that hold the spindle up need to come out. I believe they are 17mm. Some PB Blaster and an impact gun goes real well here. You will also need to disconnect the brake line from its support mount on the strut body (note: you are NOT taking the brake line apart, you are simply pulling it away from the strut body).

Once the strut is completely loose, just pull it out. It should look something like this:

Now its time to compress the spring. Then take your hand in either a glove or with a leather cloth or something and grap the strut shaft (hold it TIGHT). Then take your impact gun and use it to get the 19mm bolt off the top of the strut housing. The shaft will spin with the nut (on the rears for sure, not 100% positive about the fronts) so you'll need to hold on tigh to make sure its spinning slower than the nut, if at all. When its all apart it should look like this:

Here's the side by side of a new KYB GR-2 strut next to a 55,000mile+ OE strut.

You can see that the KYB shaft and body are slightly bigger and beefier. Also, you can see that the KYB is not blown and sitting at its full extension :lol:.

Now all you need to do is take the rubber spring seats off the old struts and put them on the new ones, and reverse the disassembly procedure. Dont forget the bump stops and dust covers! When its all said and done, it should look like this:

Now lower the car back down, double check that everything is tight on the strut mounts, and set an appointment for an alignment for two weeks from now. You've got new struts, so its off to the twistiez to celebrate.8D

[Edited by skierd on Apr 12, 2004 2:00 PM]

[Edited by skierd on May 11, 2005 4:56 PM]

Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time.

2008 yamaha WR250R - no car, no worries
1998 Accent L - #13 FSP SCCA Solo2 in 2005, SOLD
2001 Accent GS - RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2003, 11:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to shaunis
Default Re: How to replace your struts

those bolts do suck huh....i was making good time on my project, until i stripped one of the back strut bolts. Ouch! was on pace for 3 hours...finished in close to five. very good write up...mines followed a similar path.

a413 sucks when it doesn't have reverse
#3 Old 04-07-2003, 12:23 PM

Quick tip. Loosen those bolts on top of the struts with the car on the ground. Do all 4 strut top nuts (or at least thet struts you are going to replace) with the car on the ground, then jack it up and use jack stands. It makes it possible to do the job without an Impact wrench. With the weight of the car on the struts, just a normal socket/breaker bar will work to remove them. DO NOT take them off, just loosen them.

If installing lowering springs, remove the Poly bump stop from the top of the dust boot (they are tight, but they do pop out.) Cut about 1" off the fronts and about .5 to .75" off the rears. This will give you a bit of your suspension travel back that you loose with the lowering springs, and still leave you bump stops. DO NOT REMOVE the bumpstops. They are needed, just cut them down a tad.

[Edited by Random on Apr 7, 2003 9:26 AM]

[Edited by Random on Apr 7, 2003 12:11 PM]

Leave it to Random to needlessly complicate things.
#4 Old 04-07-2003, 02:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to shaunis

ah...i had the back end of the car in the air when i tried to get that top strut bolts off.

a413 sucks when it doesn't have reverse
#5 Old 04-12-2003, 09:18 PM

i got half the job done!! my a$$ is sagging a little...i got the back ones done with no problem...but the front ones were too tight....damn mechanic put the bolts on with torquing them to spec!! and with out an impact gun...i have to go somewhere where i can get my grubby little hands on one!! its rather easy!! anybody who has the tools can do it!!

Silver Certified Tech turned Sonographer...and not blogger?? haha check it out!!

http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/
#6 Old 04-20-2003, 08:45 PM

Hey skierd, this is a great how-to, thanks for the info, i really like how you laid everything out in order and all. Good job chief! Much appreciated. I wish i had a guy like you working in my old shop, as in "you know what you are doing so i can go home now right" Come back the next day and the dumbasses i used to work with would have the tires off the rims for some dumb reason. Man i tell yuh, good help is hard to find. THanks again skierd.

Matt R.

"The Impala SS, possibly one of the most amazing vehicles ever built!"
#7 Old 04-20-2003, 08:48 PM

What are the part numbers if you dont mind. And where did you order them from for best prices. Thanks

Matt R>

#8 Old 04-20-2003, 09:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to skierd
(Thread Starter)

I ordered mine from Tire Rack for $230 shipped. I dont remember the part numbers off the top of my head, but since your not in the states you're better off finding something locally if you can.

Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time.

2008 yamaha WR250R - no car, no worries
1998 Accent L - #13 FSP SCCA Solo2 in 2005, SOLD
2001 Accent GS - RIP
#9 Old 04-20-2003, 11:51 PM

Locally my ass:P lol, they have nothing here! thats why im on this site! :P Not a bad price though. thanks

#10 Old 04-21-2003, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to rubenz

Quote:
Originally posted by Random
[body]
Quick tip. Loosen those bolts on top of the struts with the car on the ground. Do all 4 strut top nuts (or at least thet struts you are going to replace) with the car on the ground, then jack it up and use jack stands. It makes it possible to do the job without an Impact wrench. With the weight of the car on the struts, just a normal socket/breaker bar will work to remove them. DO NOT take them off, just loosen them.

If installing lowering springs, remove the Poly bump stop from the top of the dust boot (they are tight, but they do pop out.) Cut about 1" off the fronts and about .5 to .75" off the rears. This will give you a bit of your suspension travel back that you loose with the lowering springs, and still leave you bump stops. DO NOT REMOVE the bumpstops. They are needed, just cut them down a tad.

[Edited by Random on Apr 7, 2003 9:26 AM]

[Edited by Random on Apr 7, 2003 12:11 PM]
[/body]
would cutting the bump stops make the car sit lower or higher at all. just curious.

2003 Elantra GT Carbon Blue 5spd
Exel TZ-16 wheels
Nankang NS-1 tires
MB Quart RCE 6.5 components
MB Quart DTE 6x9 coaxials
Polk Audio 10" sub
JVC MP3 headunit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Technical Forums > Suspension and Brakes Tweaking