DIY: Weight Distribution For Better Handling (Battery Relocation) - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 01-23-2004, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MadHatter
(Thread Starter)
DIY: Weight Distribution For Better Handling (Battery Relocation)

Necessary Materials:

20 4 gauge Battery Wire
3 4 gauge Ground Wire
(2) 4 gauge Battery Terminal Caps
(2) 4 gauge bolt end caps
Electrical Tape
Marine Battery Box

You can purchase a kit with all the above items and more than you need from a number of stores. I purchased a kit from Summit Racing for a total cost of around $52 with shipping. Decent 4 gauge wire is pretty expensive at a hardware store, so that is probably the best way to go.

Estimated Time for Completion: 1 Hour

1). Remove battery: To do this take off the negative side first, then the positive side. Remove from engine bay and set on cardboard or a block of wood. Next remove the battery holder.

2). Run the 20 of battery wire from the trunk to the front of the car. I ran the wire under my seat and under the carpet right up the middle.

3. Run the wire through the firewall and route to where your battery used to be. I ran the wire through a hole in the firewall below the glovebox.

you should have plenty of wire left over

Cut off any excess wire that you will not need. I took off the circle battery post connector to save space. Then folded the side in and attached the wires that were directly on the battery before. After you are finished with this, use electrical tape and seal off the grouping. Or for a cleaner look use a rubber sleeve cover.

4). Engine Ground Wire: I took the circle battery connector and flattened it out to fit precisely on two holes that the old battery holder was connected to. Then I sanded down the surface where the bolts will touch. Next I ran the bolt that previously held the circle battery connector up through one of the holes in the fenderwell and tightened down the top. For the other hole I took one of the bolts that held down the battery mount, sanded it clean and tightened it up also.

Now you are done with the engine connection. Now to your trunk

5). Battery Box: Affix the batter box behind the rear right wheel for optimal weight distribution. I screwed it down with 4 wood screws. Be careful not to drill through anything such as muffler right below there...

Next place the battery in the box and secure it down. I temporarily used a tie down belt, but will use metal brackets to hold it in place when I get around to it.
Affix the 20 of 4 gauge Battery Wire to the Positive (+) side of the battery.

Battery Ground: Next affix the 3 of 4 gauge Ground wire to your frame. I used one of the bolts on the back of the trunk. Make sure to sand down all metal touching metal. Attach the negative to your battery and you are good to go! Enjoy the extra space in your engine compartment and the better weight distribution.

Thanks to:
Rab71 for ground location
Bottlefedaccent (bagged00accent)for the trunk mount battery kit hook up
Shadohh for the amazing title for this DIY :

[Edited by MadHatter on Jul 11, 2004 4:37 PM]

beta swap turbo...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-23-2004, 01:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to spikie
Re: DIY: Weight Distribution For Better Handling (Battery Relocation)

I was thinking of doing this for a long time... the only thing that stoped me was that i was told it was unsafe unless it was a fully sealed vented battery box or a sealed battery... when the battery charges it lets off some kind of gases or soemthing which could be harmfull or something like that... i cna't remember exactly...

05 Durango SLT Adventurer 5.7 HEMI - yeah it's got a HEMI (15.440 @ 88.79mph Bone Stock)

97 Accent GT (2.0L Sleeper) Still Parked for winter as of 29/06/07!
2.0L Beta Engine w/ I/H/E, Plugs, Wires, Msd Dis-2, Lightweight Flywheel, Ported IM, Cutsom moddified 65mm BBTB, Strut Bar, Front Tib Brake Upgrade
post #3 of 50 Old 01-23-2004, 02:42 AM

OR, For not much more then the price of that kit, you can buy a 13lb battery and install it in 5 minutes. :lol:

There is a replacement for displacement. It is on 2 wheels and 600cc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 50 Old 01-23-2004, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I did this primarily to clear up space in my engine bay to fit other stuff.

There can be dangers, but harmful gassing becoming a hazard in a vehicle is very unlikely. Even factory cars such as the BMW M3, X5 and 3301 and ci series all have batteries in the trunk from the vehicle manufacturer with the BMW 330ci a 2004 model car.

You can look into Optima batteries which are a sealed battery specifically for this application http://www.optimabatteries.com/faq.asp#q2

Other applications of where a battery would be found inside are in military applications such as armored personnel carriers, tanks, underwater vessels, and planes.

You also have the option of venting the battery box to an external location.... but in car like ours that are open and have a lot of space, obviously the gasses will dissipitate quickly. There are goverment studies in regards to that also if you want to research it.

[Edited by MadHatter on Jan 23, 2004 6:38 AM]

beta swap turbo...

post #5 of 50 Old 01-23-2004, 01:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to i8acobra

Some vehicles do have rear mounted batteries from the factory. However, these are in airtight compartments with a vent hose to the outside. Either get an Optima, which doesn't out-gas, or get a different box. I have one from Summit Racing. It's polished aluminum with a gasket around the top and it came with a vent hose.

Also, if you ever plan on going to the track, you will fail tech without an externally mounted cut-off switch. NHRA rules state that all cars with a relocated rear mounted (but not factory rear mounted) battery must have an externally mounted electrical cut-off switch. It doesn't matter how quick/slow the car is. This is the only reason why I haven't done mine yet. I need to buy a switch.

Aaron Britt
'08 Mustang GT/CS
'06 Elantra GLS hatch
'87 Nissan Hardbody - The "Mud Mobile" (448,000 miles and still counting)
'02 Derbi GP1 scooter
'06 Suzuki Burgman 650
post #6 of 50 Old 01-23-2004, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to elantrax

you must be suckin in some hot engine air with that stock air box setup hahaha. somehow had to bash and point that out soon or later. hot air intake mod. lol
[Edited by elantrax on Jan 23, 2004 12:08 PM]

[Edited by elantrax on Jan 23, 2004 12:09 PM]

Focus Hunter
post #7 of 50 Old 01-23-2004, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally posted by elantrax
[body]
you must be suckin in some hot engine air with that stock air box setup hahaha. somehow had to bash and point that out soon or later. hot air intake mod. lol

[/body]
Is this better?

[Edited by MadHatter on Jan 23, 2004 1:14 PM]

beta swap turbo...

post #8 of 50 Old 01-23-2004, 03:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to beppomarx

good job!!!!

ive been running my battery in the trunk open with no box for almost a year now, hopefully it doesnt kill me... lol

reminiscing of my LC...

Quote:
Originally posted by solo-baric
[body]
Excellence in all we do. hopefully i pissed him off some more and that would be excellent.
[/body]
post #9 of 50 Old 01-24-2004, 01:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to elantrax

hahaha ya.

Focus Hunter
post #10 of 50 Old 01-27-2004, 08:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to 01IMPORTSHARK

HEY MAN. do u have a BOV on ur intake?

stupid pic in here wont work so i will fill it with this empty space..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Technical Forums > Suspension and Brakes Tweaking