Tiburon shocks/struts on a accent?? - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Tiburon shocks/struts on a accent??

So i got all the parts for a non-captive 4 wheel disk upgrade for my 97 Accent using newer Tiburon parts. Well I went to put them on and the spindles did not fit into my accent shocks. The were too big(shocks where to small) and now i have two choices. Grind down the spindle to fit my shocks or replace my shocks.
My shocks are bad so i wanted to replace them, but need them to fit the tibbys stuff. Does the tibby shocks fit on the accent? Can i use a tibby shock/strut with accent springs? I want to lower the car a little so i need to know my options, and yes I have searched all over for the info so sorry if this has been covered! Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 AM

(Thread Starter)

Boy this is not the response I was hoping for!! No one has an answer for this? I think its funny that people say yeah it bolts right in yet it did not on my car. Im finding out that alot of people have no clue what the hell they are talking about. No dis-respect to those of you who do but there are things that people on here say that im finding incorrect. Just like people say that you cant plug an elantra/tibby ecu in a 95-96 accent, which i have and it works just as good as my 97 and up accents. Again im not trying to start anything, but i spent alot of time searching and I tore my car up because everyone says it will bolt right on, just to find out that they were wrong and put it all back together with the same crappy brakes I started with. If someone else has done the swap, tell me how it worked out for you. I also cant believe that no one know about the suspension crossovers for these cars. I get one day off a week and It looks like i will have to go to junk yard and find out myself. Maybe I'll post an answer to my own question.
#3 Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to 187sks

I thought that you swapped the RD Tib hub into the Accent Spindles to do the non-captive rotor upgrade, not the whole spindle?

And no I don't "know" that it is done that way, that was just my impression.

I know that someone used RD Tiburon struts, springs, and spindles on their Accent at least once before but I didn't see any explanation of how it was done. The one I'm thinking of was a race car so significant modifications might have been made to get it done.

#4 Old 08-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to andy

as far as I know the older x3 accents used a different strut than the newer x3 accents. I'm not sure of the crossover point but I know there is a difference. The older x3 had a smaller diameter strut vs the newer which is the same diameter as the tiburon and elantra.

I have the beta brakes on the front of my x3, I didn't do the swap myself because when I bought the car it was already done.

To be able to use the beta calipers and rotors you have to use the spindles since the caliper mounting holes won't be the same since your using bigger rotors and calipers. The beta spindles should all be the same the only difference is the older ones used captive rotors the newer ones didn't, the spindle itself was the same though the bearing and hubs are different obviously.

if I can find out more info from gimp i'll let you know. The only thing I can think of is you have the older struts on your accent and this is causing your fitment issues at the strut mounting part of the spindle.

2000 gs- beat up dd(rear sway bar,kore exhaust, hve duct,beta front brakes, 14"elantra 5 spokes, hankook rs2s, cracked kore carbon hood, 1 kdm headlight)
1999 L- fsp terror (too many mods to list)
#5 Old 08-20-2008, 11:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to skierd

There are two different strut setups on the X3. For 1995-1997, the struts were smaller in diameter and had linear springs. From 1998 to 2005, struts had a larger diameter and progressive springs front and rear. Most importantly though, ALL accents prior to the MC have the exact same mounting points for the entire strut/spring assembly, both at the spindle and the chassis.

Additonally, tiburons prior to the GK have the same dimension lower flange (hence the tib brake swap working) and the same upper strut mount. The overall length of the strut unit is only slightly longer or shorter by a few mm's (I forget which way, it on webtech). Tiburon struts and spring assemblies WILL fit the X3 and LC accent, but you have to swap the whole assembly (you can't just use the springs, or just the struts, for example). Rob (4doorGL) had done the swap on his X3 for example.

Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time.

2008 yamaha WR250R - no car, no worries
1998 Accent L - #13 FSP SCCA Solo2 in 2005, SOLD
2001 Accent GS - RIP
#6 Old 11-15-2009, 01:20 AM

If I'm reading this right, can I take struts and springs from a pre-GK Tibby and direct swap the whole thing onto my LC? Is it really that simple? Tiburon suspension parts so much easier to find than stuff for the Accent.

Last edited by no_name; 11-15-2009 at 01:28 AM.
#7 Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM

(Thread Starter)

From my research at the junk yard and hours of online reading yes you can minus the upper strut mount (the top of shock that has the bolt sticking out to bolt to car) will have to be swapped. You can remove your stock on and put it on the tibby's shock and it will bolt right in. At least this was the case for the x3 accent and this is what I plan to do.
#8 Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Erikgsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Most importantly though, ALL accents prior to the MC have the exact same mounting points for the entire strut/spring assembly, both at the spindle and the chassis.
So if this is true you are saying that i am able to use a ksport coilover kit for a lc on my 98 x3?
If so im golden. How sure of this are you?
#9 Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikgsi View Post
So if this is true you are saying that i am able to use a ksport coilover kit for a lc on my 98 x3?
If so im golden. How sure of this are you?
I sold a set of ksport to a guy with an x3. No complaints from him.
#10 Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erikgsi

very nice to know are you still selling sets of them if you are pm me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Technical Forums > Suspension and Brakes Tweaking