User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
01 Elantra stuck in 3rd gear

My cars been messed up for a while now and no tranny shop seems to be able to find the problem and since i just graduated i didnt have to pay for the service on it. But i have a 01 elantra Automatic and the problem is it gets stuck in "safe mode" aka being in 3rd gear and i was wondering if anyone knows what could be the problem.
I told my dad this isnt the problem but he replaced the tranny computer and that didnt work, even after replacing all of the solinoids, even tracing all of the wires under the dash and finding a hanging wire it didnt work (even though it ran fine for about a week).
My car has only 40k miles on it and i didnt want to let it go to waste because ive bought many aftermarket things for it so i was wondering if i could get any help

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to cclngthr
A sensor is bad. Get the codes read and we can determine what is wrong.

Most likely cause is:
Input speed sensor
output speed sensor
transmission range switch
pulse generator a or b sensor(s). There are 2 pulse generator sensors
transmission temperature sensor
one or more of the valve body solenoids
vehicle speed sensor

As I said, get the codes read from the ECU. That will tell you why it is in fail safe mode. Once you get the code read, let me know here or PM and I can tell you exactly what to get to fix it. Best option is to take it to a dealer. They know the codes and what it will need to fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
All i remember when i got diagnostics done is TCM Fault code, ill have to look for the diagnostic paper for something more in depth if thats not enough, and when i brought it to a hyundai dealer all they wanted to do is Replace the whole transmission, which wouldve fixed it over replacing the computer, but >.> i didnt pay for it so i had no say in it.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caudill2748 View Post
All i remember when i got diagnostics done is TCM Fault code, ill have to look for the diagnostic paper for something more in depth if thats not enough, and when i brought it to a hyundai dealer all they wanted to do is Replace the whole transmission, which wouldve fixed it over replacing the computer, but >.> i didnt pay for it so i had no say in it.
Sometimes there is electrical shorts that you don't see or can fix by replacing sensors and the TCM. The dealer likely tried a known good TCM in your car and that wasn't working. It is possible that there is a mechanical failure in the trans causing the code to show up. I do know there is several TSB's on the TCM fault code that tells the dealer to try a known good TCM with the transmission and if that does not work, the mechanical system in the transmission is bad. Replacing it may be your only option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks man for the input, hopefully i can get my car fixed soon and start driving again
post #6 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks man for the input, hopefully i can get my car fixed soon and start driving again
It does sound as there is a mechanical failure that is inside the transmission that is not an electrical/sensor issue. You will need to replace the transmission (cheaper than rebuilding it) as a result. Depending on the build date, the 2001 and early 2002 XD's do have some pesky mechanical issues that were resolved in 2004. The 2004 transmission fits the earlier models.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
just got my car back today and the guy was busy so i wasnt able to talk to him about what he did but supposedly he replaced electrical solenoids ( even though they were replaced before ) and the car is running smoother than before shifting better, so hopefully it stays like this because i was planning on getting a new custom exhaust at a local shop. If the car does seem to act up again ill take your word for it and look into all of that, i was also wondering do you know much about where to buy good aftermarket things for 01 elantras? ive bought a few things from shark racing but id like to see where other people search around.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
just got my car back today and the guy was busy so i wasnt able to talk to him about what he did but supposedly he replaced electrical solenoids ( even though they were replaced before ) and the car is running smoother than before shifting better, so hopefully it stays like this because i was planning on getting a new custom exhaust at a local shop. If the car does seem to act up again ill take your word for it and look into all of that, i was also wondering do you know much about where to buy good aftermarket things for 01 elantras? ive bought a few things from shark racing but id like to see where other people search around.
What do you want to get? I made most of the stuff when I had my 03 XD. With my new 07 HD, I had to make nearly everything I put on it.

I do know the 94-97 Accord CAI's work on the XD. The 96-2000 Civic SRI's work as well.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
i plan on overtime making a turbo kit, but dont feel like spending 4k on one :P and basically just everything to make the car better in performance, got a friends dad thats helping me with installing the more difficult things
post #10 of 15 Old 06-10-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
i plan on overtime making a turbo kit, but dont feel like spending 4k on one :P and basically just everything to make the car better in performance, got a friends dad thats helping me with installing the more difficult things
I'm testing a turbo on my spare engine now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > Elantra