Is this really America? anybody speak english? - Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Korean_Redneck
(Thread Starter)
Is this really America? anybody speak english?

I don't understand people of different races in America. Couple weeks ago I did a summer job carrying rich Jewish kids camp bags in New York City. In time square we hit a 2 1/2 hour traffic jam.. why the jam? The dominican's were having a parade. all of them were flying dominican republic flags. There were thousands of them crowded around the street. alot of them were wearing Boston Red socks fan and my co driver yelled "Go Red Sox!!" and the Dominican dude said.. "nah we just wearing it because of the dominican player" After the Parade was done, all the dominicans ran down the streets sexually harrassing women in there cars and trampling over them. I was a bit nervous beacuse they were crowding around our van,, when they waving the dominican flag at me.. i just gave them a thumbs up because I didn't want to get my ass kicked. The Police didn't even do anything.. kind of bad.

Another thing is that the Mexicans in my high School 6 years ago celebrate Cinco De Mayo and all of them waved Mexican flags. on Fourth of July none of them celebrate it and none of them wave American flags. Couple days later,, i read a National Geographic magazine and theres this Mexican who tried to cross the border and the police caught him .. he quoted "I rather die than go back to Mexico".

I went to a Filipino Church in Virginia Beach, VA because my friend invited me to go. They had the Filipino flags everywhere and talking about how nice Philipines are and "going back to the motherland". I really didn't understand this.

While in New Jersey near the George Washington Bridge, I was lost and needed to find the stupid gay New Jersey "U-turn". I went to 6 different gas stations asking for directions..none of the arabs, indians either didn't know or didn't speak english. I was so fustrated I yelled "DO any of you fucking speak english!!". one of the arabs just looked at me and turned the other way.

I happen to be one of the few Americanized Korean-American. Most of the things I do not do is support another country but the US.. of course except things like donations to the Tsunami victims. My parents learned english in 1974 before coming to the US, why can't every Immigrant do the same? I proud to say that out of all the asians I've seen living in houses.. our house is the only one with the American flag flying high. Anybody have any opinions?

Sorry for all the errors.

[Edited by Korean_Redneck on Apr 12, 2006 4:12 PM]

Himulation: The feeling you get after fellating a tranny for cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 04:23 AM

Re: Is this really America? anybody speak english?

At work I'm basically the only person that speaks English, everyone's Mexican and there's a few Cubans, too. I've learned some Spanish, and I've made friends with them and most of them tell me they don't need to speak English. But in our department, I need them to speak English.
These people are here to escape something, just like our ancestors did, whether it's poverty, crazy dictators, hunger, or other Mexicans, etc.
It sucks sometimes. That's why people move to teh suburbs.

mmmm....beefy.
post #3 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 04:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to fixati0n

I agree 100%. I'm quarterican and I can't even speak any spanish. My mother, where I got the Puerto Rican from, spoke spanish as a child but you'd never know it today. I've never heard her speak it and she has no accent. Imagine moving to another country and changing citizenship and waving the american flag like they do here. You'd get your a$$ kicked. When I lived in Germany (4.5 years) I never saw american flags hanging outside other than on the bases. We lived off base in a couple German villages and other military people showed the same respect. Inside their house it's a different story but in public they showed respect to the people in that country.

Charles Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can't spell Accident without Accent.

post #4 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 09:46 AM

youd be suprised how many can speak english but play the dumb card

this is my pet peeve; i pull someone over, they are of latin american decent, say they dont speak english and just look at me, i ask for ID and they say they dont have any.

I call for an interpreter and start searching the car and find the wallet they usually have hidden with their licence in it and all the sudden they know some english and they were just trying to get out of a ticket...well you just guaranteed yourself one now. It just feels like a never ending cycle.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on—shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again." --George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=441 68586
post #5 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 11:23 AM

if the cops we're to do anything then they'd be racists. you know how it goes...
post #6 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to 01IMPORTSHARK

I can't fvcking stand it.. Everyone who lives in America should be REQUIRED to speak English anywhere in public, and be fluent in english. Thats how we communicate here. I am not going to learn another damn language because someone doesn't wanna learn english, they came here to espace, poverty, communism, dictatorship, or whatever it may be, so they should at least learn english, and do things the american way..

In the private of there own homes, or families, its fine if they speak there language or practice there ways, but in public English should be a MUST.

i have a lot of people who are foreign who i work with, Puerto rican, Venezualian ??spl??, Equador, Cuban, Indian, etc. and they all speak english, but when the spanish people hang out on lunch they speak spanish.. thats fine.. But everyone who steps foot over the border should HAVE to speak english or learn it first thing..

I also don't agree with celebrating Mexican, Dominician republic, Foreign holidays and events here, especially in mass events and alot of people.. Americans may not agree with it for whatever reason, and if you wanna celebrate whatever the hell it is, go celebrate it in your country.

stuff like holidays, i guess is fine, in the comfort of there homes, with there familys, etc. but parades, and crap, should be a no no..

stupid pic in here wont work so i will fill it with this empty space..
post #7 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01IMPORTSHARK
[body]
I can't fvcking stand it.. Everyone who lives in America should be REQUIRED to speak English anywhere in public, and be fluent in english. Thats how we communicate here. I am not going to learn another damn language because someone doesn't wanna learn english, they came here to espace, poverty, communism, dictatorship, or whatever it may be, so they should at least learn english, and do things the american way..

In the private of there own homes, or families, its fine if they speak there language or practice there ways, but in public English should be a MUST.

i have a lot of people who are foreign who i work with, Puerto rican, Venezualian ??spl??, Equador, Cuban, Indian, etc. and they all speak english, but when the spanish people hang out on lunch they speak spanish.. thats fine.. But everyone who steps foot over the border should HAVE to speak english or learn it first thing..

I also don't agree with celebrating Mexican, Dominician republic, Foreign holidays and events here, especially in mass events and alot of people.. Americans may not agree with it for whatever reason, and if you wanna celebrate whatever the hell it is, go celebrate it in your country.

stuff like holidays, i guess is fine, in the comfort of there homes, with there familys, etc. but parades, and crap, should be a no no..
[/body]
i kinda agree with you to a point but requiring everyone in this country to speak english is a little steep...if you were to use that same philosophy you probably would never be able to travel abroad.

Although i dont think you are referring to tourists and you just made a generalized statement.

I do however agree that anyone who is here as a permanent resident or on work visas (more than 2-3 months that is) should be required to speak english to a degree well enough to communicate with those around you.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stgentibs
[body]

if the cops we're to do anything then they'd be racists. you know how it goes...

[/body]
Not sure what you mean

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on—shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again." --George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=441 68586
post #8 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 12:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to 01IMPORTSHARK

Thats what i mean mat.. i meant people who are actually living here, or working in the US.

tourists are fine.. although, it would be good for them to know some english to know there way around and ask for help.. but especially people providing a public service, like fast food stores, 7-11s (hahaha) , party stores, etc. should HAVE to know fluent english and use it at all times at work..

stupid pic in here wont work so i will fill it with this empty space..
post #9 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to 187sks

I agree with:

You should have to speak English as a resident of this country. The SOB's in India doing our old tech support jobs can do it, so can everyone who actually comes here.

Like Mexico so much that you fly Mexican flags, put Mexican flag stickers on your car, etc.? GO BACK THERE IF IT'S SO GREAT! This is America. If you come here be an American. Don't try to lower this country to the level of the corrupt POS country you so desperately left. This goes for any country, I just usually see it with Mexicans.

post #10 of 156 Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to fixati0n

Quote:
Originally posted by 01IMPORTSHARK
[body]
but especially people providing a public service, like fast food stores, 7-11s (hahaha) , party stores, etc. should HAVE to know fluent english and use it at all times at work..
[/body]
Psst. Most people not familiar with midwest terminology may not know what a party store is. :lol: My wifes still thinks it's a hoot.

Charles Scott

You can't spell Accident without Accent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Off-Topic Forums > Flame