LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to majikTib
(Thread Starter)
Knocking noise when I reverse

For the past few months, I have heard a noise when I am backing up in reverse. The noise only happens once, but it's like a knocking sound (like it got caught on something and broke loose). It doesn't matter if I'm in reverse or Neutral, as long as I'm rolling backwards I hear it. I don't know if it's the axle rubbing against something or is it's in the brakes, wheels, or what the problems is. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It almost sounds as if I ran over something.

Any suggestions on what this could be? Has anyone else had the same problem? Let me know if you have any ideas of what it could be or if you have any questions. The noise occurs almost everytime I back up my car.

--------------------------------------------------
HyundaiPerformance.com Member since Oct. 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-27-2003, 04:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to stickshift
Re: Knocking noise when I reverse

Does it only happen the first time you back up, like after the car has been sitting overnight?
Often condensation can get into the parking brake, and when it gets cold, it can freeze, causing the brake shoes (I think even Tibs with rear discs have a small drum brake in the hub of the disc for the parking brake) to stick to the drum... when you move the car, the shoes break loose and you get a knock as the car rolls away.
Or, it could just be a brake shoe sticking, ice or not.

Automotive journalism ninja
post #3 of 11 Old 01-27-2003, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

No it does NOT only happen when it's been sitting over night. It was happening during the summer so it isn't frozen, and it happens whether I've been driving for hours or if I just started the car. If it is the brake shoe sticking, is there a way i can check it or do something to test if that is the cause or not? This summer I plan on getting slotted rotors from HP (front only) and new brake pads all around (EBC Green Stuff). Would this fix the problem if it is the brake shoe sticking?

post #4 of 11 Old 01-27-2003, 10:11 PM

yo! i have the same problem it sounds like a strut banging against the body (am i correct so far) i went to fix this problem but my car has been out for a while anyway i got my strut replaced and it was still there so im getting stumped. any how i will change my sway bar and see if this will solve anything. if any one can help sove this WICKED.

otherwise we'll get to it sooner or later.:smoking:
post #5 of 11 Old 01-27-2003, 10:27 PM

my buddy had a poping sound with his mustang! i helped him take it apart and the shock was leaking and the little rubber thing the spring sits in! i can't think of what it's called but it had a hole in it!! so it was rubbing and thats what was causing the problem. hope this helps

2006 Nissan Titan 4X4 O/R Utility Bed.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-28-2003, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

so I should have my shocks looked at? It only happens when my car is going backwards (whether in neutral or reverse) and it only happens once (within the first 2-5 seconds of backing up) but it never happens again no matter how far back I go... I haven't gone TOO far back.. but far back enough that it should happen again if it's rubbing against something... and if it was the shock, wouldn't it make the same noise right after I started going forward again?

post #7 of 11 Old 01-28-2003, 09:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to stickshift

Sounds like it's not the brakes then... solo-baric's suggestion about the shocks sounds good tho. Check for loose bolts in the suspension? :surprised:

Automotive journalism ninja
post #8 of 11 Old 01-28-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I am not very knowledgable in that area. Do you think I could have a transmission place or somewhere like Goodyear look at it? Do you know if they'd charge much for it? I also have to try and find a place I can get into... I can't get into anywhere that makes you drive onto the ramp to get onto the lift (body kit)

post #9 of 11 Old 01-28-2003, 02:23 PM

don't waste your money getting your shocks looked at cause that is all they will do (look at it then charge you$$$) It probley is the rear brake drums sticking mine only does it in the morning or when the car has been sitting for a while its probley from the hand break sticking. to find out park you car on a slope ready to roll back, then apply the hand brake leave it for a while 4 - 8 hours whatever then when you get back into your car let it off (hand brake) if you hear the noise then thats what it is.

another way jack your car up remove back wheels/ apply hbrake/ leave/ come back let hbrake off/ see if its still sticking. then make adjustments (becareful if your doing it yourself (adjusting brakes)).

Cool! try that:smoking:
post #10 of 11 Old 01-29-2003, 09:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to vipergts_3

umm :??:check your cv (constant velocity)boot on your axles the sound you are describing is comon when the bearings go dry . if it is your axle you may need to replace it .however you may also need new wheel bearings .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not a Hyundai it's a Hot Wheel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running XP is like putting a dual exhaust on a 4cyl, loads of extra weight, and no gain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > General Forums > Maintenance and Help