Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

What causes my car to shake when in idle? (I need real help!)

13K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  j.goodrich92 
#1 ·
When I stop at a light or stop sign, my car vibrates. When i put the car in park or neutral the shaking goes away. The seats and steering wheel vibrates. When I turn the a/c on, it shakes even worse. I cant even lay my head on the headrest due to the annoying shaking. I replaced the fuel injectors, replaced fuel filter, MAF, new spark plugs Bosch Platinum +4 from warn out Hyundai dealership NKGs. I even had the dealership check the shaking out. They said my engine mounts were not broken and were good. They couldnt find anything wrong.

I noticed after installing the new spark plugs, the idle is about 40% better, but its still there. I even changed my stock intake to one of those $9.99 CAI from ebay to try to fix the issue. Shaking still here.

I had two questions:

1. The $9.99 CAI from ebay comes with a blue cone/filter. My question is it worth to replace this cheap cone with a $50 K & N filter from Autozone, will I get better performance? I also notice I wheezing noise coming from that blue cone. Could it be the cheap material on the cone killing air performance?

2. What should i check for the shaking? Im planning just to bring it in to this Tires Plus, since the guy said he could check it out for $12.

[Edited by qb2k5 on Sep 19, 2005 4:26 PM]

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the vacuum hoses, especially the ones that goto the idle speed actuator.

#4 ·
a real simple cheap solution could be your spark plug wires i use to have some bad idleing problems, and coulnd't figure it out; the plugs were new. so i changed the wires and the problem was fixed.

#8 ·
no it is not. the knock sensor is located in the block in a coolant passage. on the strut tower it is the aqcceleration sensor. i lets the ECU know when there is a lot of road vibration so it does not assume it is engine knock and adjust the timing. i guess you can say it is a knock sesnor aid. but it is not a knock sesnor

#11 ·
Heres another picture:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/2450/efda301c9xc.gif

[body]DESCRIPTION:

If a 2001-02 Elantra or 2000-02 Accent is experiencing the following symptoms:

Unstable idle
Uneven throttle response
Slip and shock during the 1-2 and 2-3 shift on Automatic Transaxle (ATM) equipped vehicles
Erratic ATM shifts with possible shift flare (engine RPM increase during shifts)
Check engine light is ON (may go off, but the code will remain stored)
TPS related code stored in the ECM and/or TCM

HMAservice.com[/body]
I do have unstable idle due to the heavy vibration on steering wheel, gas pedal/ head rest, and sometimes at a stop light while braking, the rpm meter flucuates from 800 to 1010 but the problem is I have an automatic.

So basically, just order another ISA from the dealership.

[Edited by qb2k5 on Sep 23, 2005 2:02 PM]

#13 ·
I see that the HwAservice website advertises the use of a resistance meter to check components. Would this cheap rs item do the justice?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F008%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D810

Also how would i go by checking the parts if I dont have a Pro-Scan computer to run diagnostic tests?

#15 ·
Could also be in the tranny. A sticky torque converter will cause the car to shake in gear at idle. The fact that it smooths out when in park leads me to believe this is your problem.

#17 ·
Since no one answered you on your other question...

Dude, get a K&N. Its beyond worth it, that little cheap thing is not stopping dirt from getting into your motor, and thats bad. K&N good.;):

#21 ·
Took it to TK(tire kingdom) and they ran it through their scan tool. The guy who I spoke to said he ran it numerous of times and did not get any error codes( just like the dealership guys said). They came to the conclusion that it is the way the car is built. Its a light weight car, with a small engine. And they also said once the a/c is turned on it nearly kills about 25% of the engines power in which causes this annoying vibration while in "D".

TK said the only reccomendation is to do an engine mount. THe tech said that the mounts may be too soft.

Another symptom I noticed that the car sometimes has a slow acceleration period between numerous times of stop and go traffic. Is that normal also?

I really do not want to put myself in more debt by signing for a new car by being a college student with more car notes.

I will try that reccomendation with the spark plug cables, wiggling the TPS. Tommorow I'm planning on getting a new battery (since my car has trouble starting now), spark plug cables and some electric grease.

#23 ·
A flex plate takes the place of the flywheel in auto cars. Stick = flywheel. Auto = flex plate.

#24 ·
Well instead of spending $197 for a ISA and $78 for TPS, I'm planning just to take it to my local dealer and have them check the ISA, TPS, FLex plate, spark cables, and engine mounts to see why my car shakes badly once Im in "d" and turning on the a/c to full max while in idle.

Its very annoying. My moms 2000 Kia, my bros new neon, nor my other bros 2000 civic doesnt shake so violenty.

#25 ·
Originally posted by wilburisthecoolest
[body]
Since no one answered you on your other question...

Dude, get a K&N. Its beyond worth it, that little cheap thing is not stopping dirt from getting into your motor, and thats bad. K&N good.;):
[/body]

Will do thanks. I think K and N has a lifetime warrenty I believe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.