Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

smartra

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bizzare 
#1 ·
Ok so there is one final step in my beta swap. Everything is hooked up, I just need to start it. I re did the harness, double checked it and the thing still wont start. No fuel, No spark. Then I come accros this in webtec:

It is an anti theft device that requieres a code and what not. I think this is what is keeping my car from turning on. Do i need a different computer? Does anyone know if this is a factory option, (01 elantra). Does anyone know anything about this, or the harness modifications please post.

See less See more
#2 ·
here's the words that go with the pic:

ELECTRICAL TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL
Applies to: Elantra 2001
GROUP
Body Electrical System Immobilizer Control System

IMMOBILIZER CONTROL SYSTEM SCHEMATIC
IMMOBILIZER CONTROL SYSTEM (1)

CIRCUIT INSPECTION

The Immobilizer Control System (ICS) is an anti-theft device that enables starting to be possible only when the mechnical and wireless secret code (memorized in the ECM and SMARTRA), are aligned simultaneously. The transponder (built -in the ignition key head) sends a unique frequency code signal to the SMARTRA (SMARt TRansponder Antenna).

The SMARTRA compares the received signal with the memorized code and communicates with the ECM, controls the engine management system through fuel injection control, via a dedicated communication line. When the code is aligned, the ECM sends a starting signal and the engine starts.

edit: if you do a word search on webtech for "immobilizer" (check "about any car" and check "ETM SHOP TECHNET and TS") and you'll get about 33 links. some of those might say something useful.

edit2: i'd suggest connecting pin 47 to pin 71 on the elantra ecu, and it will close the circuit, just as if the circuit were closed within the smartra box. (first i'd read all 33 links to see if there's anything there that contradicts this suggestion.)

[Edited by 99mini on Jul 16, 2003 2:40 PM]

#3 ·
damn. The webtec said that it sends a "secret" signal to the computer from a wireless coil on the ignition switch. I might have to get the entire system just to start it. Im gonna try to connecto both wires together see if that works. If it doesnt then i might just have to get a computer that doent have the immobilizer deal on it.

[bodyIn case of “SMARTRA” type immobilizer system the ECM carries out a check of the ignition key using a special encryption algorithm, which is programmed into the transponder as well as the ECM simultaneously. Only if the results are equal can the engine be started. The data of all transponders, which are valid for the vehicle, are stored in the ECM.
][/body]
so not all cars come equiped with this? If this doenst work then i can just buy a 01 tib harness and computer. those dont have them.

[Edited by bizzare on Jul 16, 2003 4:44 PM]

#4 ·
It depends on which air sensor system you went with. If you stayed with the MAP system of the Beta II engine then you will NEED a 01+ Elantra or 03+ 4-cyl Tib ECU to run the car, in which case you're stuck with the SMARTRA system.

#7 ·
All RD Tibs are MAF they didn't start using MAP in the them until the 2003 models.
The Elantras used a MAP in all 2001+ models.

It realy is a simple solution like figuring out how to mount the Elantra ignition in to the Accent. If you can do a swap, surely you can figure how to do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.