LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pmckevitt
(Thread Starter)
piggyback ECU

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded their ecu and if it is worth it. Also I see that there is a stand alone unit from sharkracing, is it better to get a piggyback or the stand alone. Just wondering if this is even worth the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-05-2006, 03:19 AM

Im not very fimiliar with Hyundai ECU's but where im at....i have gotten everyone of my P28 (Honda) ecus chipped out and Remapped....but nextly i would go with like a motec unit....kinda like Hondata....lol Im really not for sure but those units get very costly as i have owned three Hondata S300's and had my friend continuously change my settings often with his laptop.....A/F ratio's, timing, boost levels.....and so on....hope this helps a little bit....
post #3 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM

you can also do some basic tuning with a s-afc.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm not to knowledgeable on this whole topic and am not sure what a s-afc is or which one is better or where to get them. Any info would help
post #5 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmckevitt
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded their ecu and if it is worth it. Also I see that there is a stand alone unit from sharkracing, is it better to get a piggyback or the stand alone. Just wondering if this is even worth the cost.
the only thing i can think of that really fits what you are looking for is available from Powerchip. the down side is they require you to send in your ecm for a reflash rendering your vehicle unusable until they send you receive the flashed ecm back. you could find a spare ecm on car-part.com for as little as 55$ shipped if you're lucky, however.

all these megasquirt, smt6, safc2 things require you to do the tuning yourself- and unless they're done absolutely right it's not only a waste of time, energy, and money, but it could cause severe electrical shorts or cause the engine to fail prematurely.

Last edited by rbuecker; 12-12-2006 at 11:48 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM

i use a next generation motorsports mafterburner that adjusts open loop a/f ratios work good and had it on the car 180000km no probs
post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That powerchip looks pretty benificial. Does it matter if you have previous mods to your car? Also I plan on getting a turbo eventually (eventually being a long time), does anyone know if this will work for or against a turbo?
post #8 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 PM

Everything I've read about powerchip says it doesn't work with superchargers or turbo. It is programed with what N/A add ons you have done. You pick what octane fuel you will use( 93 giving the most increases) then they send you an overnight package and directions on how to remove your ECU. send it to them, they overnight it back to you with the new settings. If you did major mods after that you would have to repeat the process.
The mafterburner from nexgen is a piggyback fuel tuner. It can be easily changed to suit whatever mods you have, and adjusted with a laptop and a dyno if you change down the road. Including adding the supercharger or turbo. Tim at nex gen runs a good shop, he will help set up your initial specs on the mafterburner and the software to change it is included.

EIther one will get you some extra HP, just a matter on what you prefer. I have not heard any negatives from either one, as long as you understand what your getting.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-13-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmckevitt
That powerchip looks pretty benificial. Does it matter if you have previous mods to your car? Also I plan on getting a turbo eventually (eventually being a long time), does anyone know if this will work for or against a turbo?
Part of the ordering process involves an interview, where they discuss your car's overall modifications as related to air/fuel and timing (bbtb, exhaust, headers, cams, etc). They take these things into account when remapping your ecm.

As for turbo, I really wouldn't recommend powerchip at that point. Plus most turbo kits are going to give you a piggy back of some sort that has all of the tuning figured out as best they can.

Again, I'm trying to avoid giving examples of things that require the end user to tune. A lot of folks really don't feel like toying with that crap, they just want a reliably faster car.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I imagine that technology has come a long way since 2006 when these were posted. I am just beginning studying up and doing research on 'tuning' and there is a lot to learn! Seems no one flashes or modifies Hyundai ECU anymore. Piggyback systems are almost as much $ as stand alone units (low end ones). A Haltech 2500 costs as much as I have invested in my entire car with the turbo included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum > Model Specific Forums > RD, GK, and New Tiburon