Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

clutch will not dis-engage

20K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Eric Gordon 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Tiburon v-6, 6 speed.. It will not go in gear when running, cause the clutch will not dis-engage.. I put a new clutch in, and still have the same thing.. check the slave cylinder and fluid, it is extending as far as it can..
Anyone have any ideas? thanks

#2 ·
push the slave cylinder in as far as u can go until u hear a 'click' your TOB may not be in place.

does the clutch pedal have any pressure or is it on the ground?

#4 ·
sounds like the clutch isnt sliding back and forth.
who installed your clutch

#6 ·
stock v6 tiburons have dual mass flywheels. nothing to do with the clutch. even if you installed an aftermarket single mass flywheel. the TOB needs to be locked in place manually with the lever on the top of the tranny. flip it upside down and push it until it clicks. sounds like u may have tried to lock the TOB using the pedal which does not allow enough force to clamp the pressure plate.

#8 ·
It could be that the clutch pedal does not have enough stroke. Is something keeping it from returning all the way up. Also, how much free play is there before the pedal gets harder to push. I hope that you replaced the throw out bearing. Perhaps there is air in the clutch cylinder. That would limit travel due to the compressing of the air and keep the clutch from disengaging. Bleed the system just like you would bleed brakes.

#11 · (Edited)
Did you lubricate the tip on the input shaft where it inserts into the flywheel? If this junction binds up it can turn the transmission enough that you can't get it into gear. Also (I think) the splines of the input shaft need to be very lightly greased so that the clutch is free to slide away from the flywheel when the pressure is released.

#14 ·
Here is a plan, put the car in 4th gear with the parking brake ON and depress the clutch. Now carefully give the starter a quick hit a few times. Perhaps this will free up the input shaft or clutch disk.

#15 ·
I have done all the above and still the same thing its been doing even before the new clutch.. It also has a loud noise coming from inside the bellhousing when the car is in gear. like a squeling noise... I think I'm just taking it back apart, and doing a clutch and flywheel conversion..

#16 ·
well if you can push the clutch pedal with your foot and it feels normal you might have a problem with the gears..

#18 ·
check transmission shaft behind throw out bearing

have you checked the shaft behind the throw out bearing. I had a piece of the old throw out bearing not letting the new one go all the way back and wouldn't let the new clutch release. Yes i felt like an idiot after taking it apart twice and still couldn't find the problem. I know its a little late for this but may help someone

#19 ·
resolution?

I am having the same issue in my 2008 hyundai tuscon. I bought it with 100k, has 150k and a new clutch was installed as well as new tranny at 110k, I do have a leaking slave after replacing it, could this be my problem? It engages but does not disengage the clutch entirely. Pedal stroke is fine, even bled the system, im about to fix the leak which i believe is the copper washer on the slave i reused, now going to replace with new. If this does not solve my problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.