Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Is anyone interested in rallying?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  titteriouyj 
#1 ·
Does anyone here rally with their Hyundai? Hyundai uses the Accent in various rally leagues around the world. They used to race in the WRC which is basically like soccer's World Cup...just of rally racing. It is really popular around the world and catching on slowly in the US. Personally, I think driving on dirt and gravel is more fun than tarmac. This is the WRC's official website- http://www.wrc.com if anyone's interested.

#2 ·
I am not interested in the cost involved with repairing a car after a good rally event, but that's about the only limiting factor for me :)

rbuecker's recommended rally game: rallisport challenge 2, xbox. includes accent, accent gt, and other than that one of the best rally games i've played. rent it, buy it, do yourself a favor and at least try it! :p

#4 ·
Hey Wan maybe I'll see you at some events next year. I'll probably stick close to the DC area though because right now I work every other Saturday and am off Sundays. Now I know most autox is done on Sunday so I'm not too concerned about that, but some of the other events like rally may take place other days. I havent followed those too closely yet. I'd also like to start getting some of the classes behind me (http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/noviceSchool.php).

Anything new going on for you in the automotive world?

#5 ·
I love WRC, I've been following it since 2000. If you also didn't know, Hyundai used to sponsor the libra racing team here in the US and rallied Turbocharged 4wd Tibby's from 1996-2001. Winning the championship every year it raced except the 1st year the prodrive subaru team brought 2 WRC impreza's to the US. But Libra brought it back in 2003. The Accent WRC is due back in 2005 for testing, but might not actually test till 2006 for a full 2007 program. The Libra tibs still race and are constantly in the top 5 when they do race here in the US. Though they are privateer cars. Also David Higgins which won the US Championship in 2002 is currently driving an Accent WRC3 in the british championship.

My prefered magazines are RallyXS which is about WRC imported from the UK. RallyWorld, which is a US mag that covers the WRC, SCCA Pro Rally, Canadian Rally Champ., British Rally Champ., and Asia Pacific Rally Champ.

My prefered Rally Games are *British Rally Championship 1998. and WRC 1-4 for PS 2. Though WRC 1 is the only US available version unless you have a mod chip.

#7 ·
Both RallyXS and RallyWorld are 6 issues in 12 months.

#9 ·
man, i do rallying all the time when i'm driving away from or on my way home,

glenkirk road is a good 2 mile dirt and gravel road that get's the LC doing 4-wheel drift's and pelting my car with dirt and gravel.

#10 ·
Well seeing as this thread has been brought back from the dead I'll post. I've been involved in Canadian rallying for about 22 years (I'm 23 BTW). I went to my first rally when I was 6 months old (slept through most of it LOL) but I've been going to them ever since. My father competed in a 75 Volvo 240 Turbo for about 5 years of which I serviced for him. The summer before last I ran the Accent in a rallycross put on by one of the rallyclubs and actually did quite well for a bare bones Accent. Hopefully this year I will be able to get out to more events. For the most part, all the modifications I have made to my car are geared towards rallying and I'm considering preparing the Accent as a performance rally car. Although there are a few reasons why this may not happen but who knows. Anyway glad to see there is some interest in the sport, if you have any questions about rallying just ask me, I've been around the sport a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.