Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Graham and i am new to this forum and i would like to say hello to everyone, now to the point im inheriting a 2000 accent and its pathetic stock so therefore i am going modify the exhaust system with a new muffler and a new high flow cat. I am also planning to have my shop bend a pipe for a cold air. which mufflers and cats do you guys recommend? Should i buy new Headers also? Thanks for your time and effort.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A cat is a cat is a cat...

Just get a high flow cat, and it's almost the same... I personally like using Flowmaster, but they're all the same. If you're going to get a full exhaust done, might as well look into getting headers. It's not that much mroe trouble to installing it while you're doing the whole exhaust anyways.

Howie~

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
ryanolson said:
well since the cat and stock header are one piece if you install a new cat you will just be adding an extra cat. also you are pretty much wasting your money as it won't make the car much faster. turbo it or swap it if you want it to be fast.
Ditto....

Also IMO I would say go with a chambered muffler. The sound is usually nce and low but not bellowing and buzzy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are the stock cat and headers restrictive, probably right? and i cant turbo it i don't have the money, what should i do if i cant do the exhaust. i mean really nothing accept a intake or a chip will make a difference a small one if that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
too bad its automatic:( how would i go about purchasing new headers, i see them on ebay and evo fusion and shark racing but the prices are ludicrous. i understand they are rare but for a bunch of aluminum pipe that is ridiculous. what do you recommend i do in this situation can i remove the cat from the stock headers and put high flow and a new muffler? how much horsepower boost can i expect if any at all?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know that i was planning on replacing the cat with a high flow, im just going to switch out the muffler which one should i buy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Putting just a muffler on will only alter the sound. If you want ANY kind of performance difference, do like everybody says and do the whole system. Also, the stock size pipe is TINY and restrictive, so you may want to have the shop fab up some 2" or a lil better. ANYTHING you do to your car is only going to be as good as the weakest piece of the puzzle..... so if you put money on a header, a 'high flow' cat and a muffler....it won't mean squat since after the exhaust leaves the cat its getting jammed back into a small pipe....and then hits the muffler and buzzes around.

Personally I am a fan of the cherry bomb "turbo" mufflers at autozone - they're universal (several options for inlet/outlet size) and cheap @ around $20-25. Shouldn't give you that annoying ricey rattle sound that's popular with so many Civics :p

I had a turbo muffler on my old Hyundai Excel, and more recently on my Integra with 2.25" cat back. Sounded very nice on the Integra but at certain RPMs got a little "tinny" because there wasn't a resonator....so that was lame.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks jkrswld for your advice i appreciate it, the car is in the dealership hopefully getting a new auto tranny, i was thinking the beta swap but i am scared to mess with the motor mounts and the excessive weight of a 2.0 liter.
Btw how much HP does the 2.0 liter engine have. and would it fit my current 2000 accent auto tranny. another problem idk a shop that would take on this swap. does anyone know a shop in long island new york that would be able to help me swap the new engine in? thanks for your time and effort.

·
Registered
737 Posts
if your willing to put the money into your car for performance i'd suggest making it handle better to start off. Regular bolt ons especially on the 1.5 don't produce much hp. Your automatic doesn't help(I know I have a 1.5 automatic). An exhaust will help with throttle response and will give you a little better mid range power but it won't be a night and day difference.

If you want to modify your current accent to be a better daily driver i'd suggest some nice wheels and tires and some suspension mods(springs/struts to start) then a bigger rear sway bar down the road.

This will make a much more rewarding car to drive as well as looking much better than it did before. If you want to do some exhaust work than get your shop to bend up a 2 inch exhaust from the mid pipe back and just use a resonator or 2 mufflers to quiet it down some. This will get you the sound you want as well as a better throttle response. I prefer to use magnaflow mufflers because they have a variety of sizes, are stainless steel, and are still pretty cheap if you use a satin finish(60-80$). Other than an air filter, i'd say leave your car as is. A header will complicate things like moving the o2 sensors around and relocating your cat and is more money than it is worth.

If you need some guidance look in the showroom to see my 2000 gs and go off that. I have done very few things to the motor but the suspension/wheels/tires/brake mods have made my automatic a much more rewarding car to drive on a daily basis. If you don't have much money to spend than this is the way to go.

·
Registered
453 Posts
andy said:
if your willing to put the money into your car for performance i'd suggest making it handle better to start off. Regular bolt ons especially on the 1.5 don't produce much hp. Your automatic doesn't help(I know I have a 1.5 automatic). An exhaust will help with throttle response and will give you a little better mid range power but it won't be a night and day difference.

If you want to modify your current accent to be a better daily driver i'd suggest some nice wheels and tires and some suspension mods(springs/struts to start) then a bigger rear sway bar down the road.

This will make a much more rewarding car to drive as well as looking much better than it did before. If you want to do some exhaust work than get your shop to bend up a 2 inch exhaust from the mid pipe back and just use a resonator or 2 mufflers to quiet it down some. This will get you the sound you want as well as a better throttle response. I prefer to use magnaflow mufflers because they have a variety of sizes, are stainless steel, and are still pretty cheap if you use a satin finish(60-80$). Other than an air filter, i'd say leave your car as is. A header will complicate things like moving the o2 sensors around and relocating your cat and is more money than it is worth.

If you need some guidance look in the showroom to see my 2000 gs and go off that. I have done very few things to the motor but the suspension/wheels/tires/brake mods have made my automatic a much more rewarding car to drive on a daily basis. If you don't have much money to spend than this is the way to go.
I agree that one should definately upgrade suspension before any more power is added. I don't however agree with the header, high flow cat and exhaust statement. I noticed a pretty big difference in power right away.
For instance when I turn on the ac the car doesn't bog down like it did with the stock exhaust. But hey, everyone has their own opinion

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Grambo42 said:
Thanks jkrswld for your advice i appreciate it, the car is in the dealership hopefully getting a new auto tranny, i was thinking the beta swap but i am scared to mess with the motor mounts and the excessive weight of a 2.0 liter.
Btw how much HP does the 2.0 liter engine have. and would it fit my current 2000 accent auto tranny. another problem idk a shop that would take on this swap. does anyone know a shop in long island new york that would be able to help me swap the new engine in? thanks for your time and effort.
50lbs is excessive? a 2.0 has 138hp stock. it would be leaps and bounds faster than what you have but you would still probably get beat by 1.6L 5spds due to your auto tranny.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahhh your confusing me, should i get the headers or not? will it make a difference? If so are their any other vendors that sell them for less. another thing i have speed bumps in my development will new spring make the car bottom out? I called my local exhaust shop he said he would be able to basically do anything, i just need the headers if im going to do anything at all. Im also planning on removing the rear seats and any other heavy items in the vehicle. the lighter the better:D If i would replace the stock exhaust how much of a boost of HP can i expect, I know not that much but it will aspirate much better. im also buying a chip i think the name is velocity something. Also about the CAI do you think that a 2 inch pipe can be bent at the shop and cone filter placed in the intake end. Last question where can LEDS for the interior and the gauges.

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
737 Posts
for the money you will spend on a header/cat/exhaust pipe/muffler you will not see much return for your money. By the time your done with this your halfway to a nice turbo setup or motor swap.

He has a 1.5 automatic, if your put a header back exhaust on it you will probably feel a difference but what is it worth. Compared with a 2.0 swap or a turbo setup it there is no comparison in power output.

I was giving him the best advice I could from personal experience. I've been modifying the blue car for 7 years and have tried many different setups. From my experience it is a waste to try to modify a 1.5 automatic with bolt ons. The cost doesn't justify the returns. It will still be dog slow in the end.

For any of the accents running the automatic I wouldn't suggest doing much more than an exhaust and simple intake mods for the same reasons above. You lose too much power through the slushbox.

My car in its condition might be making a whole 65-70 hp to the wheels. With a header back exhaust I might be able to raise that to 75 whp. Guys with boltons and 5spd 1.6s are making 85-90whp. This is compared to a stock 2.0 making 115whp in stock condition or a turbocharged alpha on low boost making 120+.

My 2000 automatic with a modified air box and a midpipe back exhaust is about as quick as my dad's stock 1.5 5spd. Big whoop, they are both still going to be miles behind my 99 turbo 1.5 that might have $4000 in the whole car including the car itself.

I stand by what I said earlier

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright im thinking about turbo charging it but im scared to mess with oil lines is there any other way to cool down the turbo? And i dont have 900 frickin dollars to spend on turbo manifold. are there any other cars that have the engine that have a turbo manifold that would match my 1.5 accent?

·
Registered
737 Posts
don't spend your money on turbocharging your automatic, if your going to go that route start off with a 5spd car which you can get for stupid cheap.

I don't know how you drive so I can't tell you exactly what route to go down but if this is your only car i'd highly suggest leaving it as stock as possible. It is easier to maintain when the majority of the parts are factory.

For example my turbo accent has been off the road now for 3 months awaiting a turbo rebuild(among other things) while my 2000 daily driver endured a full season of autocrossing and only needed an oil change.

If you enjoy going out for a "spirited" drive on the weekends, modify the suspension first. You will enjoy it more than any exhaust or intake even with the automatic.

If this is mostly a 9-5 commuter that rarely gets driven in anger, put on an exhaust and air filter and enjoy the cool noises and be blessed with the soft squishy ride of the stock suspension.

If you end up deciding to go the turbo route down the road search for topics posted already there are quite a few out there

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright so it is settled ill get a new suspension setup but one problem how big of wheels can i get if i drop it with new springs? what kind of tires do you guys recommend? For the headers can i just buy a normal manifold and then connect the downpipe, which can be bent at a shop right? from the downpipe a high flow cat converter to the muffler is skunk 2 good? what kind of springs do you recommend. Are 2.5 inch exhaust pipes good. A rough estimate how much am looking at a exhaust job so i can compare your prices to his quote when i bring it in. im going to have the springs and exhaust done at the same time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts