Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is where im @. i have a stock 2000 Hyundai Elantra with a 2.0L G4CP (inline 4). just got ahold of a 16G TD05 Turbo with an exhaust manifold off of an eclipse (which i am under the impression bolts rite up with no issues) i also have 450cc injectors, a small intercooler and am working on gettin intercooler piping.

First Question, as far as fuel management tuning goes, AFC seems 2 b the way 2 go. how do i install that, tune it, and use it properly?

next, unfortunately, its an Automatic Trans., my guess is that slapping on a Turbo will pretty much destroy it sooner than later, leading me toward planning 4 a Manual Trans swap. Wat do i need in parts 2 do it, and wat do i need 2 kno 2 do the swap.

finally, im running 240 psi of compression with a 10.3 to 1 compression ratio. Now, to take care of that problem, im throwing down an Alpine Decompression plate with 2 OEM Head gaskets which should bring it to 8.1 to 1. THIS WILL CHANGE MY CAM TIMING.

Is it possible to Degree my cams using factory Cams or do i need 2 buy aftermarket Cam Gears.

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED :)

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
First question.. how much boost are you going to run?

Anything more than 12psi use the head gasket, 5-10 **** it, its not worth the effort. You'll make more power at 7 psi with stock compression then at 12 psi at 8:1 compression. and you will have NO bottom end whatsoever with that low compression.

Buy a transmisson cooler, and make sure your using hyundai spi III fluid and the transmisson should last pretty good.

I have a SAFC on my car, wireing was very easy, tuning was pretty easy too. find a local dyno shop and get in there for some tuning so they can load up your engine to make sure your running stoic in your mixtures.

RRFPR might be nice too, that and a manual boost controller.

dsm manifolds will fit, but you have to dremel out the holes a little for it to fit nicely.

cams gears are the way to go for cam timming. but you probally dont even have to touch it.

The Beta was designed for boost in 96 from the factory, hyundai got scared from its potental and backed out. But its been sitting under your hood waiting....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Turbo i have has an internal Waste Gate that is set at 8 psi factory, of couse, if i decide 2 leave it 10.3 to 1, ill leave it @ 8 psi, if i use the Decompression Plate, it brings the potential for me 2 run it on up to 18 psi of Boost ( so Alpine claims... ) with 100% stock motor, in which case, 12 - 15 psi is probably where ill keep it running at.

after kinda breaking it down and coming 2 realize all the parts that ill need 4 the manual swap, its starting 2 look like its beyond my financial means so that Trans Cooler idea's lookin pretty tempting :D

any suggestions at 2 where 2 find one would b appreciated.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
The Turbo i have has an internal Waste Gate that is set at 8 psi factory, of couse, if i decide 2 leave it 10.3 to 1, ill leave it @ 8 psi, if i use the Decompression Plate, it brings the potential for me 2 run it on up to 18 psi of Boost ( so Alpine claims... ) with 100% stock motor, in which case, 12 - 15 psi is probably where ill keep it running at.

after kinda breaking it down and coming 2 realize all the parts that ill need 4 the manual swap, its starting 2 look like its beyond my financial means so that Trans Cooler idea's lookin pretty tempting :D

any suggestions at 2 where 2 find one would b appreciated.
just any universal one can work, you just have to find places to tie into the fluid flow. i have no idea i've never delt with the autos enough.

8psi is perfect, leave it at the stock compression and with good tuning you might see 200whp. cause you figure you have about.. maaaybe 110whp right now. these engines LOVE boost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, its sittin on about 145 crank horsepower stock so that sounds about rite, i just dont wanna buy a trans cooler, throw on the turbo n have my tranny slipping a month l8r. im not too worried about the engine blowing up or anything, but i am worried about the tranny going out on me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts