Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... ive been lurking on and off here for a while, gathering info for repairs. my girlfriend is the owner of an 01 accent 1.5L SOHC, and its been a decent car, but its got its share of problems i would like to fix.

heres the list:

- MAF seems to be going, tried to clean it but the light came back on. its possible that the light came back on because after i cleaned it and the rest of the intake system, i forgot to attach the hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake before the TB.

- Oil consumption/leak. it likes to go through oil pretty fast. after about 1000-1500 km of driving after an oil change, its usually down about a quart. im suspecting valve cover gasket, but could be piston rings as well. she had the dipstick tube snapped off right at the block and it was leaking oil fairly bad. i think when it was down oil at that point in time, it may have done damage to the rings. i have yet to do a compression test on it. i think it might be a leak because you can smell burning oil inside the car and such when your standing still mostly, bit sometimes a bit when your moving. i would expect a bit of an oil smell or a touch of smoke out the exhaust if it was burning it. i think where ever its leaking, its landing on something hot like the exhaust manifold or the transmission.

- Oil light stays on, or fades in and out. when trying to diagnose the above oil problem as a valve cover leak, i cleaned and degreased what i could under the hood. i wonder if ive caused a bit of a short or something in the oil level sensor or something.

ive read the write up on changing the valve cover gasket and it seems to be that is a problem for lots of other people when it comes to oil loss.

also, i know the MAFs are a problem too. im going to try cleaning again and see what that does for it, making sure everything is reattached this time. if not, i may be getting another MAF from the scrap yard or an aftermarket MAF from the part store.

the oil light is baffling me, but im putting it off to when i degreased the motor as it happened the next morning after that. also, the oil level is full as i filled it up last night and the light did not go off.

if anyone has any tips, answers, or links to other threads discussing similar problems, please let me know.

thanks, rob.

·
Registered
354 Posts
when i was leaking oil i found out it was from the camshaft seal...you could take off the timing belt cover and check that out..its only 2 bolts to take it off...but at first my car would go through about the same amount of oil then before i ruined it the oil would just pour out like i didnt even put it in(while it was running) i never did find a good way to keep the seal in though. are you taking the negative off the battery when trying to clear the codes/fix the maf?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i was leaking oil i found out it was from the camshaft seal...you could take off the timing belt cover and check that out..its only 2 bolts to take it off...but at first my car would go through about the same amount of oil then before i ruined it the oil would just pour out like i didnt even put it in(while it was running) i never did find a good way to keep the seal in though. are you taking the negative off the battery when trying to clear the codes/fix the maf?
ive done that and had them read. the code that came up was the one that ive read on here that is related to the MAF (MAF voltage too low or something like that, dont remember now). i also pulled both battery terminals off and shorted them together to reset the fuel trims. when the code came back i noticed the disconnected hose and reattached it but the code remained. i have not had it read or tried to clear it since then.

i need to do the accessory belts again soon as they are making noise and have purchased a timing belt to do at the same time. im planning on doing all three (no a/c on this car) and was hoping to fix what ever the problem is at the same time.

how would you know if its the cam shaft seal? would there be oil in the timing cover and on the timing belt?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you need a MAF, I can sell you mines for $50.00. I bought it about 2-3months ago! Since i'm doing a beta swap i dont need it. If you need any parts for the 1.5L. Let me know, I just have the motor sitting on the floor.

Do you have water in oil, or oil in your water?
Is the car smoking?
I have some gator back belts i can sell for $5.00 each, only have about 10k on them!

As for the cam seal, you would see oil around the sprocket.

You might have a bad oil sensor as well!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need a MAF, I can sell you mines for $50.00. I bought it about 2-3months ago! Since i'm doing a beta swap i dont need it. If you need any parts for the 1.5L. Let me know, I just have the motor sitting on the floor.

Do you have water in oil, or oil in your water?
Is the car smoking?
I have some gator back belts i can sell for $5.00 each, only have about 10k on them!

As for the cam seal, you would see oil around the sprocket.

You might have a bad oil sensor as well!
thanks for the offer, but i already have all the belts purchased, plus im in canada and and once shipping and all thats tacked on, i can get one cheaper than that up here. the car isnt running bad really with the MAF the way it is, maybe using a bit more gas though.

have noticed a bit more moisture in on the oil cap from time to time, but its nothing major and usually only happens if it takes her longer to get to the 5000km than normal for her next oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i got pictures!

took these last night. i had cleaned the motor with degreaser on sunday, but not everything came off. anyways, there is definitely more of a mess now though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all pictures are taken of the drivers side of the motor at the front of the car. seems the leak is right between the motor and the exhaust manifold, hence the burning oil smell when it gets on the hot exhaust.

first and second picture are of where the valve cover meets the head. there is build up and a little bit of moisture of oil. you can also see a silver-grey coloured gasket maker seems to have been used under the valve cover. the third picture, my finger is pointing at a piece that seems to be coming apart.

the 4th picture (i think) is of where the spark plug wires and spark plugs sit at the head in front of the heat shield.

in the 5th picture you can see where the oil is traveling. its dripping down around the head, block, transmission and exhaust manifold/cat.

the 5th picture is a little more close up of that area, focusing on where those sensors plug into the block. what the hell are those sensors? coolant? oil?

thanks, hope these help. i will be cleaning the motor down once again this weekend, this time with the heat shield off, to see if i can clean it up enough to see where its comming from.

rob.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, might aswell update this... i have replaced the MAF and the CEL has gone away now. fuel economy picked up too. still trying to figure out this oil problem though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts