Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to the board and am hoping someone can help me. My wife has an 01 elantra gls with approximately 46k. We live in new york where it has been raining for over a week straight and there are some fairly flooded roads. today while she was driving home the check engine light suddenly came on. The car has been driving fine and still seems to drive the same. She said that she went through a few "puddles" that were roughly half way up the tires. Combined with the extremely heavy rains we are having I wonder if this could some how be caused be the water, perhaps from it splashing up and hitting a sensor or the spark plugs/wires. Being that this just happened I am unsure if there has been any significant change in gas mileage, however before this the car only averaged 20-24 with almost all highly mileage. I have checked the gas cap and it is on tight, and I have restarted the car several times and the light is still on. All sensors and plugs/wires are original. If I disconnect the battery will this reset the ecu and possibke get rid of the check engine light. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also..Does the above gas mileage seem about right...I have never seen this car get over 25 mpg even with all highly mileage and being driven very frugally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The check engine light could be anything, you need to have the code pulled from the ECU to be able to get an idea why it came on. I hear Pepboys or Autozone in the US will pull the codes for free.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jayman,
I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 10 min and now the CEL is gone. Hopefully it was only due to the rain and wasn't anyhting major.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The code should still be stored in the ECU, even though the light is now off. If you have a few mins you should just get them to pull the code, then you can set your mind to rest.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by JayMan
[body]
The code should still be stored in the ECU, even though the light is now off. If you have a few mins you should just get them to pull the code, then you can set your mind to rest.
[/body]
Okay,so The CEL came back on today. To make matters worse, I changed the spark plugs a few days ago and found a lot of oil in the sparkplug well closest to the air box. I'm guessing this is what's causing the CEL. I searched a bit for the oil in the spark plug well problem and it looks like it is commonly caused be a bad valve cover gasket or the ring around the spark plug well. Should either/both of these be covered under warranty? Thanks

oh and by the way, it takes forever to get a service appointment at our local hyundai dealerships and my wife has no choice but to drive the car everyday back and forth to work. Can driving with these problems cause any severe problem(s)?

[Edited by 01elantragls on Oct 20, 2005 7:46 AM]

[Edited by 01elantragls on Oct 20, 2005 7:57 AM]

[Edited by 01elantragls on Oct 20, 2005 7:58 AM]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I should think it'll be covered under your warrenty, but you'd have to confirm that with your dealership. The warrenty is different here in Canada based on Years/Milage then yours. Your car is already 5 years old....

Anyways, oil should not be in the sparkplug and yes it is some sort of gasket that is causing it to leak. Definately something to have looked at as soon as you can. I understand how difficult it could be, my car is my only one and I commute 1 hr to work everyday.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JayMan
[body]
I should think it'll be covered under your warrenty, but you'd have to confirm that with your dealership. The warrenty is different here in Canada based on Years/Milage then yours. Your car is already 5 years old....

Anyways, oil should not be in the sparkplug and yes it is some sort of gasket that is causing it to leak. Definately something to have looked at as soon as you can. I understand how difficult it could be, my car is my only one and I commute 1 hr to work everyday.
[/body]
So the car went to the dealer today. They said they could find no oil in any of the spark plug wells. They also said " maybe it was water from the rain", as if oil looks the same as water. Also the CEL went off yesterday before it went to the dealer. They said the pulled the code and it was a vacuum leak from a loose gas cap. I'm not sure how that could be since I ALWAYS turn the cap until it clicks SEVERAL times. They said they reset the ECU and now the CEL is gone. The CEL came on a couple of weeks ago and the ECU was reset by disconnecting the battery. The CEL went away afterwards but came back on a few days later. Is there a chance that what ever caused the oil to enter the sparkplug well could have gone away and left no trace?

[Edited by 01elantragls on Oct 27, 2005 3:58 PM]

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
A lot of the XD's have had problems with the roll over valve, which pulls the same leak code the gas cap pulls if it is leaking. That could be bad as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by cclngthr
[body]
A lot of the XD's have had problems with the roll over valve, which pulls the same leak code the gas cap pulls if it is leaking. That could be bad as well.
[/body]
Thanks cclngthr,
Just curious, what does the roll over valve do, and what are the symptons of a bad one, other than the CEL.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The roll over valve prevents fuel spillage if the car rolls over. The symptom is a leak code and a leak in the evap canister and the fuel system. There is a TSB on this as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by cclngthr
[body]
The roll over valve prevents fuel spillage if the car rolls over. The symptom is a leak code and a leak in the evap canister and the fuel system. There is a TSB on this as well.
[/body]
So since the dealer reset the ECU to clear the CEL and the if the CEL comes back how do I get the dealer to realize (or admit) that it's not due to the loose gas cap. As I have said, I have never put the gas cap on without turning at least several clicks, so I highly doubt it was the gas cap that caused this and believe it's what you suggest. Can this be harmful to the car, as I would assume it would be. Also, if it is the roll over valve and remain unrepaired do you think it will likely cause a CEL fairly soon. And finally, if the CEL does not go off for a while, is it safe to assume all is well. Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions, I'm just a little concerned as the car will only be under warranty a little longer.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Keep the receipts on the CEL issue. If it came back on and the same code is up, that is a sign that there is a leak somewhere. On mine, a gasket on top of the tank also failed, and this was corrected once the code kept coming up for them. They had my car a week and it had this pesky leak. They ended up replacing the whole evac canister, plus the gas cap and the roll over valve, CCV valve and the sending unit gasket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts