Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in Advance for any response.

Here are my many problems.

1) check engine light is on. Had test done for codes (don't have them handy right now) down stream o2 sensors had a code, injectors 1,2,3 also had code. System burning lean what ever that means.
2) from cold start..hesitation/stutter when first moving..not when idle.
Resolves itself after about 1 min of driving. But very intense causing car to jerk and almost stall.
3) gas usuage is extremely high!!!!
4) values clatter when shifting going up-hill. They also clatter is I shift prior to the 3rpm. Other times I do not hear them.

I had spark plugs replaced today.. did not resolve the issue!
I also had them clean the system to get any carbon build up out..not sure if this process actually works..but desperate times call for unusal processes..lol

Please help. Dealer wants to replace everything and anything..everything isn't broke as I can drive the car back and forth between D.C. and NYC..
Which by the way uses less gas then I use for city miles figure that!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Well, first of all, is your car up-to-date on maintenance?

If yes, Those symptoms look like a faulty or dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

After going to several dealerships the problem was solved.

It was tricky to catch, because the car would function for an hour then malfunction. So, it was hard for the service guy to catch the problem. I stood there with him throughout this process. Even the service tec line couldn't figure this one and the service guy was loosing his hair.

It just happended that some corporate super tec's came to this location right when we were about to give up. They gave the go ahead to change each sensor out one by one to find the issue..(I was told if these guys had not walked in they would have never done that)

So, after checking all the sensors.. It did come down to the Mass Air flow Sensor. FYI: this sensor was not the one being identified on the tests as it had indicated the downstream o2 sensor. The service guy didn't think that was the issue, but was not clever enough to think MAS. He was thinking it was a malfunctioning ECM.

Today's start up was perfect and it was exciting to pull from the curb without stutter...I guess it was worth the whopping $556... :)

So who ever you are your not being paid enough at your job, as you figured this out without seeing the car!!!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Actually, it's quite a coincidence.

A couple weeks ago, my brother's 2001 VW Jetta 1.8L Turbo had the EXACT same problem as yours; almost identical. We changed every ignition component and any other billions of problems the 1.8T engine is nictoriously known for. Well, the last thing was that the engine is known to have premature failure on the Mass air flow sensor. So that's what we changed and got a used one for 10 bucks.

After 10 minutes of labor, all was good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts