Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was sitting in my car yesterday and I had the window down the sun was shining and I felt the cool air hit my face as I caressed the vinyl steering wheel it was heavenly.

But, all this enjoyment was intrupted by a snapping sound coming from the engine. Now, when I say it was a snapping sound I mean like the sound a BBQ lighter makes when the igniter sparks (that snap snap sound):p So anyway I had time to sit there and be annoyed and figured out that this snaping sound happens every 6 seconds.

Does anyone know what that could be?

·
Registered
686 Posts
your spark plug wires are arcing, may be time to replace them or check the gap on your spark plugs.

on the bright side, it does sound very heavenly :)

·
Administrator
529 Posts
your spark plug wires are arcing, may be time to replace them or check the gap on your spark plugs.

on the bright side, it does sound very heavenly :)
Sounds like wires. Look at them in the dark with the engine running, and see if you can see some sparks. DONT TOUCH THE WIRES, you may get shocked if they are arcing.

Nadeem

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would have thought of the spark plug wire first off if it was a constant snapping but this only happens once ever 6 seconds it just seems odd what would be causing a 6 second pulse during Idle? Unfortunately I don't know if this does this at driving speeds as you wouldn't be able to hear it.

Ok so I took the advice and fired up the car in the dark and had a look......there is a spark.....but it moves.....

something is causing an electrical charge and the spark is coming from the crank pulley and it literally archs in different areas around the crank pulley every 6 seconds. It seems to arch between the belt and the pulley.

I'm stumped, I've never seen this before.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, I noticed my car does it also. My cheap "economy" battery chorodes bad also. I checked grounds, alternator to battery wire, measured battery voltage with car off and then measured with car on. I found no real oddnesss, all I can figure, is the magnet wire insulation in the alternator is failing. So I will end up buying a refurbished one I bet. Unless anyone knows something on this. Let me know.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, I tried replacing the alternator.... No fix, still arcing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I tried replacing the alternator.... No fix, still arcing.

I have a feeling that it may have something to do with the crank position sensor, but I could be wrong maybe a bad ground is the cause but for now the car is running and it's damn cold outside so I guess I'll worry about it when the time comes

·
Registered
464 Posts
Could be the coilpacks? That's the only source of high voltage I can think of, aside from the spark plugs & wires, and they all are grounded through the engine. You DID inspect the spark plug wires already right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could be the coilpacks? That's the only source of high voltage I can think of, aside from the spark plugs & wires, and they all are grounded through the engine. You DID inspect the spark plug wires already right?

yeah the wires look fine, no cracks in the boots or wires. The grounds look ok but I still might look at changing the engine ground and seeing if that takes care of the problem

·
Registered
453 Posts
The spark plug idea would apply if the arcing wasn't spaced at least 2 seconds apart. It's really wierd. All the grounds look good, spark plug wires are good. Car gets around 30 mpg as always. At first I thought maybe the dielectric failed in the alternator, but after replacing it with a remanufactured one it still arced. I did notice my indiglo dash lights are failing again, might have something to do with that? I've never seen this before and I've seen some ****. Also I noticed mine arcs usually after it warms up. wtf? I agree with waiting until it's warm though

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
changed the plug wires and that didn't stop the snapping noise so that's one last thing to check

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey, Cone assassin
Does your dash lights work fine or are they malfuctioning like mine?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, Cone assassin
Does your dash lights work fine or are they malfuctioning like mine?
No, my dash lights are working fine. I don't have anything faulty on the car, just that noise.

here's a theory.....

I put a new belt on the car, which I think could be the underline issue. a bad ground could be causing static electricity to build up. so I'm thinking with each revolution of the belt there maybe a metal cord in the belt causing the static to arch on the pulley. Just a theory though, I could be out in left field.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't think the alt belt has metal in it but you might be on to something though. I replaced my belts not to long ago also.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My answer is the same. I thought maybe ground? But then I took an 8 awg wire straight from alt to battery ground, no change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts