Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Elantra Engine swap anyone?
Talking about swaps, there are many on Accent,and old generation Elantra, but what about the 04-05-06 Elantra XD?

Who knows about swaps in Elantra?

I would like to swap a Sonata 2.4 (2006-7-8-9) engine in my 05 Elantra?

I have access to a 20k miles 07 Sonata, a perfect donor car for cheap...cheap!

I know somebody did it. It has to be doable.

Or a 2.7 Tiburon.......????????

If it is possible to do almost everything in VW's (Golf, Jetta, Passatt.....) and Hondas, why is so hard with the Hyundai?

I would like to have as much imput as possible here.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
The 2.7l from the Tiburon has been done. Beyond that swap the main reason not many more swaps have been done is because it's easier to turbo the 2.0l and get more power than you would get out of any Hyundai swap. I was thinking about putting a 2.4l Theta from the Sonata into my Accent. I decided against it because even though I would have to buy the 2.0l beta and swap it into the Accent first it's still cheaper and more proven to Beta swap and then turbo.

If you want to do it there aren't really many hurdles beyond the obvious ones. Your ECU won't like running the Theta most likely. There's a chance that it will if you have CVVT, but it probably won't do it well. Your best bet is either going with a standalone or swapping the entire wiring harness in from the Sonata. I would go with a standalone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for te hints....

Hey..... I really apreciatte your help. It seems that some guys get pissed because sometimes people ask questions or bring topics that are been in the works before, but.... nobody knows everything, and hat to ask....

I did search the site again and again and found many postings with lots of info.

Short story, I GOT THE POINT. Is worthless to spend so much money in this swap when you can get a lot of power for pennies just working on your Beta engine.

Shame on me. I got this Theta engine in my lot, with less than 20k miles, and is a temptation. Is a strong engine, a lot stronger that the Beta for sure, but whatever! It will cost me a fortune to swap it in my Elantra.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
No problem. I REALLY want to swap the engine into my Accent too but in the end I decided it's not worth the trouble to be original. I really hope somebody does it to a Tib, Elantra, or Accent.

We're working on setting up an interesting project here. It's either an XG350 3.5l (plus Tiburon 6 speed which makes us happy) or a 3.3l or 3.8l Lambda (and an automatic which makes us sad) into a J2 Elantra project. We're seeing what kind of money it'll cost us to get it done and ensuring that the powertrain will fit between the suspension at this point. We've sourced the powertrains we've just got to go take some measurements.

Don't worry about being different. Someone has to do everything first. It'll just cost you more money or take a lot more time or some mix of both. Once the Genesis coupe comes out and you'll have the option of bolting up the 215hp turbo 2.0l Theta II to the Sonata transmission and mounting it in the front of an Elantra I think someone will do it. Those engines will get all sorts of aftermarket support so it'll make sense at that point in time because of the potential to build big power.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Actually, the Elantra eventually will have the 2 liter theta engine that currently is turboed from the factory.

I am working on a turbo project of my own with my 07 HD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my conscern is the integrity of the 2.0 in the elantra XDs. How much can that engine handle stock turbo/supercharged before you have to tear into the internals and put forged rods and pistons etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts