Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Tiburon GT with the Factory installed Infinity sound system. The 6 cd changer 440 AMP, sub, etc... The other day my changer locked up on me and hasn't worked since. Went to the dealer they couldn't fix it and the system is past the 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty. Quoted me 1300 for new unit and 500 plus s/h for repair.

I figured instead of dealing with all that hassle go to best buy and get a new head unit with better features for the same cost. They told me I could get one but it would have to run new wiring to bypass the amp etc. and I would take a significant cut in quality and volume. All this because the Factory installed Infinity system is on "low band." Either that or buy a whole new system from the ground up.

I talked to a local sound shop and the guy said he never heard of anything like that and said it would be no problem. I haven't taken it to the shop so they could fully inspect yet, but I'm confused because of the contradictions between the two.

Anyone have any suggestions or know anything about this?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
ive messed with the infinity systems in Dodge pick ups, and they seem to respond excelent with a good head unit. Dont have best buy install it, and dont go to car toys. The smaller stereo shops that only do systems will know there stuff. If you get a good vibe from a little shop then go there. The amp is seperate than the head unit, and most heads will have a good pre-amp, so then you'll have two amps! lol

·
Registered
959 Posts
lol. the hyu. tech was full of crap. an amp is an amp. low bandwidth. lol. you should have bitch slapped him into submission. wilbur is right though. 2000 is a good deal of money and you could build a whole new system. the stock speakers are good, but not when you push the volume. distortion in low frequency sounds increases rapidly at a certain point. tweeters are good though. but tweeters are tweeters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies I plan on going the small shop next week and I'll post any updates. at least I know there are people out that there that do know what they are talking about, its just a shame I have to come to a forum to find them. thanks again I really appreciate the help

·
Registered
108 Posts
They can either BYPASS that factory amp (so your speakers will be powered off the small internal amp of the new head unit) or they can integrate it. You do NOT want to try to use both amps - if they integrate it your headunit will basically be an exact swap - the intnernal amp with either be turned off or they just won't hook up the speaker leads...just the RCA pre-outs on the headunit.

And for 2000 you can get one hell of a system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah don't bother going to the dealer there would be so much hassle and stupid mark-up that you would have to deal with, stay away. Go to the shop and see what they can do. From what other posters have said for the price the dealer is giving you can get a good system for 2g's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts