Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my '98 accent with 178k finally gave up the ghost (should have changed the timing belt again at 150k!) and long story short I now have an '06 tib with just under 20k. I've had the car for not even 36 hours now!

This car has what I've come to realize is a factory kenwood head unit. Nice enough, but I noticed when I push the button to allow the face plate to 'flip' down to insert or remove a CD, it only goes halfway down.

The buttons along the bottom, as well as maybe the bottom edge in general, are contacting the surrounding plastic trim. This is enough to stop the spring-loaded action. I can push the face plate down easily enough, but it makes a sound as the buttons rub across the plastic, and sometimes pops off.. It's just rather annoying. Something I'd probably forget about if it just started happening one day, but this car is "new" to me and really not that old in general.

Has anybody else had this problem or is mine possibly just installed a bit out of alignment?

·
Registered
256 Posts
sounds like the radio has shifted down on it's mounts should be a simple fix for you. the surround comes off by pulling gently on an available surface (i use above the ash tray) then just loosen the screws that hold the stereo to the bracket shift it up then retighten the screws.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! Especially about pulling above the ash tray.. I know all this stuff pops together but I was still hesitant. One attachment tab had broken on my accent like this, but I think the plastic was lesser quality.

What was intersting was that after removing the 4 screws that holds the plastic din cover/radio bracket in place, I realized that there were only 2 (the front two) of the 4 screws installed that held the radio to the bracket! There was a circular mark on either side as if a screw had been installed, or at least tried.

I realized the front two screws were #10 while the rear two that were missing were #12 and not interchangeable. Maybe this is why.. I wonder if this option was installed at the dealer when new, and for whatever reason the tech didn't have the right rear screws..

I picked up two at lowes, and this seems to have fixed the problem. Just repositioning and tightening the front two did nothing, as the angles are slightly off between the steel radio support inside the dash and the way the din cover/bracket mounts the radio.. I think it puts a slight pressure upwards on the rear of the radio, and without screws to counter this pressure, it is shifted upward when the assembly is installed into the dash.

I figured I would go into detail for anyone with a future reference with this issue! I still wonder why the screws were missing.

Also does anyone know a good source of the very short yet large diameter "sheetmetal" thread blunt screws that tend to be used for installing head units to brackets? The pointed traditional sheetmetal screws I picked up at lowes work, but the heads aren't oversized compared to what is standard for the thread diameter, and of course they are a little longer than needed, though they seem to be just short enough not to damage anything. I checked autozone with no luck. Maybe a specialized radio installation shop would have various screws lying around, though I don't know about for sale in packs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts